A-League and Australia Cup 2024/25

Eednud

Seems the NSD won’t actually be national. Rumoured 10 clubs with 3 from Victoria, 5 NSW, 1 Queensland (Sunshine Coast) and 1 Tasmania (South Hobart). Having Tasmania is good but no South Australian or Western Australian clubs.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2023/11/08/altruistic-not-all-embracing-australias-national-second-division-will-be-nothing-more-than-a-south-east-coast-league/

Terrible performance by Adelaide this evening, worst I've seen them play.  Too many youngsters with little experience, experienced players way off the pace and a real lack of leadership on the pitch.  I think this will be a long season.

12 hours ago, dgbfk7 said:

Terrible performance by Adelaide this evening, worst I've seen them play.  Too many youngsters with little experience, experienced players way off the pace and a real lack of leadership on the pitch.  I think this will be a long season.

Substitute "Adelaide" with "Sydney" and that's been the story of every league game before yesterday. 

13 hours ago, dgbfk7 said:

Every season is a long season following The Reds.

Luckily this is only my second full Season. I guess there's a need to be realistic about what they can achieve with seemingly little investment by the Owner. 

Far too many players in the current squad now who love a sideways or backwards pass. Whenever Kitto gets the ball, even high up the pitch I expect the ball to be back with Gauci within 4 passes. Tunnicliffe looks unfit, my mate who supports Pompey reckons he'll be injured a lot and despite being quite a technical player, will always slow the play down as he has no pace left. Not sure what the point of playing Ibusuki up front alone is either. Heavens knows why we persisted with the fannying about with the ball at the back at goal kicks. It's clear Sydney were pressing high and won it back every single time. May as well have hoofed it longer as we'd lose it anyway!

So it’s official Nestor Irankunda has signed for Bayern München for a club record fee. Not mentioned in the release below but The Advertiser reporting more than $1m. He will stay with Adelaide for the rest of the season before moving to Germany in July next year.

https://adelaideunited.com.au/news/irankunda-seals-bayern-move

So 8 of the National Second Tier competition have been officially named. Three Italian heritage, 2 Greek, 1 Macedonian, 1 Croatian plus the Wolves. Seems Football Australia has forgiven Sydney United for the lure of potential reasonable crowds. 

https://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news/football-australia-announces-foundation-clubs-national-second-tier

After yesterday’s less than thrilling tier 2 news now we have Auckland awarded an A-League licence. Australian football blazers, both APL and FA are about as fucking useless as tits on a bull.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/bill-foley-awarded-full-a-leagues-licence-for-auckland-expansion-club-from-202425-season/HABVZX72NRDOVIZDOSU3TDOBMQ/

• 1 month later...

Last night Melbourne City  beat Brisbane Roar 8-1 to equal the Adelaide United v North Queensland Fury result in 2010/11. Jamie Maclaren scored a hat-trick to become the first player to score 150 goals in the A-League.

• 2 months later...

All going well the temperature around kick-off time in Adelaide tomorrow will have dropped to somewhere between 35-37C and for the women’s game on Sunday 36C. The Melbourne City games a cool 38C/36C. Away from the A Leagues, for the first time that I can remember there will be no Saturday games in NPL SA or SA State Leagues 1 & 2 due to the 40C forecast.

The Australian Professional Leagues (APL) has confirmed changes to four fixtures across the Isuzu UTE A-League and Liberty A-League this weekend.

Due to extreme heat forecast for Adelaide and Melbourne, and in line with provisions of the APL Heat Policy, fixtures have been updated involving the Original Rivalry, as well as Melbourne City, Wellington Phoenix and Newcastle Jets.

Instead of an Adelaide United-Melbourne Victory Pride Round double-header at Coopers Stadium on Saturday, the Liberty A-League showdown has been moved to Sunday at the same venue while the Isuzu UTE A-League clash is still scheduled for Saturday but has seen the kick-off time moved back.

Melbourne City’s meeting with Isuzu UTE A-League leaders Wellington Phoenix at AAMI Park on Saturday also has a new kick-off time, while the Liberty A-League fixture between Melbourne City and Newcastle Jets at City Football Academy also has an updated kick-off time.

Please see the below fixture updates across the Isuzu UTE A-League Men and Liberty A-League Women:

Competition RD Date Home Away Venue KO (Local) Kick-Off (AEDT) Notes
ALM 20 Saturday, 9 March 2024 Melbourne City FC Wellington Phoenix AAMI Park 7:00 PM 7:00 PM Updated KO Time
ALM 20 Saturday, 9 March 2024 Adelaide United Melbourne Victory Coopers Stadium 7:45 PM 8:15 PM Updated KO Time
ALW 19 Sunday, 10 March 2024 Melbourne City FC Newcastle Jets City Football Academy 5:00 PM 5:00 PM Updated KO Time
ALW 19 Sunday, 10 March 2024 Adelaide United Melbourne Victory Coopers Stadium 7:00 PM 7:30 PM Updated Match Date & KO Time