Rangers vs Celtic - January 2nd

7 hours ago, G51 said:

Surely the difference that actually matters is Jermain Defoe can still play at a high level in the Premiership, and Scott Brown can’t play dead?

Again, you might be right about Turnbull. But generally, you have to show it against a higher level of opposition than he has to justify that kind of money. We’re talking about a guy who wouldn’t even get in the Scotland squad at the minute.

First and foremost Happy New Year.

Jermaine Defoe hasn’t played at a high level in the Premiership since he left Spurs, if he could still play at a high level in the Premiership then he would be doing so instead of being the 4th pick at Rangers and taking 65% pay cut on his 130k a week Bournemouth salary or is 4 goals in 28 appearances in his last Premiership stint the advanced metrics your alluding to? You generally post a lot of sense but I’ll assume since it’s New Year you have been on one and we can pretend the above post never happened

5 hours ago, G51 said:

Advanced metrics show Defoe is still producing at a high level. It's not a controversial take.

Mate this take is so wild it belongs on the Serengeti being hunted down by Hyenas 

Edited by Jinky67

38 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

First and foremost Happy New Year.

Jermaine Defoe hasn’t played at a high level in the Premiership since he left Spurs, if he could still play at a high level in the Premiership then he would be doing so instead of being the 4th pick at Rangers and taking 65% pay cut on his 130k a week Bournemouth salary or is 4 goals in 28 appearances in his last Premiership stint the advanced metrics your alluding to? You generally post a lot of sense but I’ll assume since it’s New Year you have been on one and we can pretend the above post never happened

Mate this take is so wild it belongs on the Serengeti being hunted down by Hyenas 

Happy New Year to you too.

I thought it was clear that I was referring to the Scottish Premiership when I talk about the Premiership. There's no way Defoe could still produce at a high level in the Premier League - that's not even up for discussion. Both the numbers and the eye test show that Defoe is still an excellent player at this level.

PS: For future reference, the Premiership is in Scotland and the Premier League is in England...

26 minutes ago, G51 said:

Happy New Year to you too.

I thought it was clear that I was referring to the Scottish Premiership when I talk about the Premiership. There's no way Defoe could still produce at a high level in the Premier League - that's not even up for discussion. Both the numbers and the eye test show that Defoe is still an excellent player at this level.

PS: For future reference, the Premiership is in Scotland and the Premier League is in England...

When people refer to playing at a high level they generally aren’t referring to playing in Scotland hence the crossing of wires and me assuming you meant he could still play in England. So hands up there, I made a howler 

Doesn’t change the point though, his salary is obscene for his role at the club. A reputed 65% wage cut from his reported 130k a week at Bournemouth is still a lot of dollar to come off the bench and add a token goal when the game is already won. 

Let’s put it this way he’s scored the same number of goals in a similar number of appearances as Klimala and to compare his influence at Rangers to be akin or even close to what Browns is or has been at Celtic shouldn’t even be up for discussion. Only 1 of them is likely to get a start tomorrow and it isn’t Defoe, in fact Defoe won’t get a sniff unless injuries require it or Rangers are winning so comprehensive they decide to rest some players. 

Let me also add I don’t think Brown should start tomorrow either, not because I thinks he’s done but because I think we need the extra mobility that Soro offers. He offers something different, Rangers know Brown and know how to make him ineffective as shown in the past few games. Soro presents a different challenge for them to deal with

Edited by Jinky67

39 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Doesn’t change the point though, his salary is obscene for his role at the club. A reputed 65% wage cut from his reported 130k a week at Bournemouth is still a lot of dollar to come off the bench and add a token goal when the game is already won. 

1-1 on 85 minutes and Jermaine Defoe to come off the bench and score a winner is now nap...

Gone through all the usual emotions in the build up to these games. Confident, sh*tting it, back to confident again etc

I think Rangers might just sit back a bit and try to capitalise on the counter as Celtic need to win. If they stick to their diamond formation the likes of Tav, Barisic and Kent will have a field day.

4-2 Rangers. (No chance am I putting a bet on that though)...

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Jermaine Defoe is on obscene money for what he contributes. I thought that was obvious. 

I’d bet for Gerrard and everyone at Rangers, Jermaine Defoe is absolutely superb to have in the squad.

Firstly, just having him around keeps the other guys on their toes, but the main thing relative to what he earns - I’m sure you can even put a price on what he offers in  terms of what Morelos, Itten and the young players can learn from him as a striker on the pitch but also as a disciplined pro who trains well, keeps fit and looks after himself properly.

On the pitch, if Rangers go on to win the league/have a good run in Europe because Defoe played a handful of games here and there keeping Morelos or whoever fit for the big games then Defoe’s been worth every penny.

Last of all - Unfortunately  Covid has spoiled opportunities this season but by all accounts Defoe is also a big commercial asset and has also been a fantastic ambassador for the club.

Edited by 8MileBU

1 minute ago, HibsFan said:

Extra staunch points for ra bears.

EqraN4sXEAAC4Ve.thumb.jpg.831e14cb708976829d966ad34c684e3e.jpg

I was waiting to see what embarrassing shit came out of "North Curve Celtic" ahead of the game. Unfortunately it's come from our side instead.

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

1-1 on 85 minutes and Jermaine Defoe to come off the bench and score a winner is now nap...

Really? The last time he scored a winner for Rangers was last January against St Mirren and his goals this season have come in games that finished 4-0, 4-0, 2-0 and 5-0. So he’s good for a token goal against teams outwith the top 6 that you already already battering.

Our signings leave much to be desired this season but the decision to sign Defoe on that contract is equally nonsensical 

Edited by Jinky67

Just now, Jinky67 said:

Really? The last time he scored a winner for Rangers was last January against St Mirren and his goals this season have come in games that finished 4-0, 4-0, 2-0 and 5-0. So he’s good for a token goal against teams outwith the top 6 that you already already battering.

Our signings leave much to be desired this season but the decision to sign Defoe on that contract is equally nonsensical 

Just a pointless quip, mate.  

18 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Extra staunch points for ra bears.

EqraN4sXEAAC4Ve.thumb.jpg.831e14cb708976829d966ad34c684e3e.jpg

Turns out you don't need to be an Islamic extremist and blow yourself up to get hold of a load of virgins.  Just saunter down to a underpass before a football game.

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Just a pointless quip, mate.  

👍

Moving onto predictions then 

Going for 2-1 Celtic because we have to win, I have very little to base my prediction on other than positive optimism and a few New Years Day gins 😂

I’ll be back tomorrow to either to revel or take my medicine

Enjoy the game chaps 

Edited by Jinky67

Good idea, move on to predictions.

I'll go 1-0 Rangers.

We need to stop the passes into Edouard's feet. Keep Turnbull and Christie 25 yards+ away from goal. We do that, we'll be okay.

If the midfield 3 don't manage to do the above, then this game is a coin flip.

Edited by G51

Have a bad feeling for tomorrow. No logical reason for it but think we will lose 1-0 or 2-1 in a scrappy game. It’s that horrible pessimism that lands when everything is going well that it has to stop. Hope I’m wrong and it’s 19 points clear before the rest of the games kick off.

The invincibles to sit again, soak everything and hit us on the counter again. After a few weeks of negative headlines regarding Rangers supposedly getting decisions in our favour, I can't see us getting a win tomorrow. 

13 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

For a team that's famous for it's "Battle Fever" there isn't a half amount of cowards in the Rangers support. Yous should be demanding blood and a 5-0 pumping of this Celtic mob.

Don't see any point in blustering about humping teams, especially one that is miles ahead of us in most departments. 

Better to give an honest opinion.