Full back (right & left)

Craigieboy86

I really hope not, but it would appear he is following the same path that many others have. Looked really promising and then injury hits and problems become a snow balling affect.....maybe like Stevie May maybe being the most recent example.

Really hope not as he definitely look like he was going to be a top top player, however seeing him (in the flesh) for Preston and I just don't see anything to suggest he will achieve it sadly.

Fans love this kind of speculatory pish for some reason, that's why the papers write these stories. It's a non-story in my opinion along the same 2+2=5 lines as Kieran Tierney is homesick and wants to go back to Celtic before moving to Spain. It's unprovable, subjective 2nd-hand testimony covering the duration of a meal at a restaurant or something like that.

The root of this is simple. Sean Dyche is the enemy because he isn't picking Patterson at Everton. Same with Arteta and Tierney. There was nothing to substantiate that Arteta hated Tierney, but that's the rumour that took hold. Why? because Scotland fans don't like managers who don't play our players.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Fans love this kind of speculatory pish for some reason, that's why the papers write these stories. It's a non-story in my opinion along the same 2+2=5 lines as Kieran Tierney is homesick and wants to go back to Celtic before moving to Spain. It's unprovable, subjective 2nd-hand testimony covering the duration of a meal at a restaurant or something like that.

The root of this is simple. Sean Dyche is the enemy because he isn't picking Patterson at Everton. Same with Arteta and Tierney. There was nothing to substantiate that Arteta hated Tierney, but that's the rumour that took hold. Why? because Scotland fans don't like managers who don't play our players.

I’d agree it were nothing except for the players apparently getting upset and Tarkowski having to take Dyche aside. That actually suggests to me it is a bit more substantial than an accident as I doubt the players would be all that bothered about a playful slap gone wrong, they’d have probably laughed about it. 

You are putting together two cases that are different though and shouldn’t be viewed together. Arteta didn’t play Tierney because he couldn’t play his inverted system.

I’m not sure why Dyche doesn’t play Patterson though, the replacements are objectively worse given they have actually cost Everton goals, and are now players playing completely out of position and not doing it very well. If the reason were tactical, you’d absolutely be changing the tactics. 

13 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I’d agree it were nothing except for the players apparently getting upset and Tarkowski having to take Dyche aside. That actually suggests to me it is a bit more substantial than an accident as I doubt the players would be all that bothered about a playful slap gone wrong, they’d have probably laughed about it. 

You are putting together two cases that are different though and shouldn’t be viewed together. Arteta didn’t play Tierney because he couldn’t play his inverted system.

I’m not sure why Dyche doesn’t play Patterson though, the replacements are objectively worse given they have actually cost Everton goals, and are now players playing completely out of position and not doing it very well. If the reason were tactical, you’d absolutely be changing the tactics. 

Fair enough, if you want to read into this then that's up to you. I've stated my opinion on this and will leave it there. Enjoy. 

• 1 month later...
On 20/06/2022 at 15:23, Captain Saintsible said:

Liverpool have another young right back, Conor Bradley, still only 18

Made 5 first team appearances last season and has 8 caps for Northern Ireland.

Ramsay faces a bit of competition to become TAA’s understudy……

On 21/06/2022 at 11:48, ArabFC said:

Nah, not from Bradley he doesn't.

He'll be punted out on loan to some diddy team.

On 15/03/2024 at 00:03, Quentin Taranbino said:

Calvin Ramsay really struggling at League One Bolton. He can't even get in their match day squad for the last five or six games. 

Interesting seeing these posts looking back over the thread. Just shows how things work out. I wonder if it would have been better for Ramsay to go out on loan rather than Bradley that first season. Bradley now the heir apparent at Anfield and Ramsay nowhere. 

3 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Interesting seeing these posts looking back over the thread. Just shows how things work out. I wonder if it would have been better for Ramsay to go out on loan rather than Bradley that first season. Bradley now the heir apparent at Anfield and Ramsay nowhere. 

Yeah, really disappointing how it has worked out for him. The loss of Klopp could be another nail in the coffin of his Liverpool career. He may need to find a way to reset and start again as he is undoubtedly talented.

Having said that things can change very quickly. He has clearly had real injury and illness issues. He might have been better staying at Liverpool and playing at EPL2 to rebuild than going back out on loan and that option may still be open to him. Get back fit and a good pre-season and things could change very quickly; just look at Billy G going from a failing bit-part midfielder at a relegation certainty to a key cog in one of the best midfields in the country all in the space of a few months.

8 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Fair fcuks - got that wrong. But, Ramsay was ahead of Bradley in the pecking order. The injuries fcuked any chance of him getting a chance and now, well, can't get on the bench for a league one team?

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Fair fcuks - got that wrong. But, Ramsay was ahead of Bradley in the pecking order. The injuries fcuked any chance of him getting a chance and now, well, can't get on the bench for a league one team?

Aye, wasn't having a go - was more that Bradley was already a known quantity but maybe not quite ready to play for Liverpool, then one successful loan spell later he's already seen in some quarters as a ready made replacement for Alexander-Arnold.

16 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Aye, wasn't having a go - was more that Bradley was already a known quantity but maybe not quite ready to play for Liverpool, then one successful loan spell later he's already seen in some quarters as a ready made replacement for Alexander-Arnold.

We had a few promising right backs coming through two years ago, and at this point you'd say only hickey and possibly Johnson at sturm graz have kicked on. Is there any other right backs floating about worth a call up? Excluding O'Donnell obviously 🙄 

I'm not sure Ramsay was ever actually good enough to ever get near Liverpools side. My memory was his performances for Aberdeen were good for a wing back, but he had issues with basic stuff, and that was all kind of ignored and everything hyped up because he was a young Scot playing well regularly.

Patterson always seemed the better prospect to me.

Both made poor moves that have stalled their careers and both players next move could be back where it started.

Edited by RandomGuy.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm not sure Ramsay was ever actually good enough to ever get near Liverpools side. My memory was his performances for Aberdeen were good for a wing back, but he had issues with basic stuff, and that was all kind of ignored and everything hyped up because he was a young Scot playing well regularly.

Patterson always seemed the better prospect to me.

Both made poor moves that have stalled their careers and both players next move could be back where it started.

Ramsay had two first team appearances for Liverpool. OK, one was only a late sub appearance in Europe, but the other was the full 90 minutes in the league cup. 

8 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

Ramsay had two first team appearances for Liverpool. OK, one was only a late sub appearance in Europe, but the other was the full 90 minutes in the league cup. 

I'm not sure what your point is?

It's fairly common knowledge bigger English sides effectively play B sides in the early rounds of the League Cup, so that 90 minutes is the same as him being selected to play 90 minutes for their reserves.

The European game was a 3 minute appearance at the end of an already dead tie.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm not sure what your point is?

It's fairly common knowledge bigger English sides effectively play B sides in the early rounds of the League Cup, so that 90 minutes is the same as him being selected to play 90 minutes for their reserves.

The European game was a 3 minute appearance at the end of an already dead tie.

Right, so being picked for, and appearing for, the first team squad is evidence of not being good enough to get near the first team squad. Gotcha.

2 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

Right, so being picked for, and appearing for, the first team squad is evidence of not being good enough to get near the first team squad. Gotcha.

Well yes, in the context of the team he was picked in, it's quite clear that wasn't a first team selection.

If youre genuinglyclaiming him starting alongside luminaries like Bobby Clark, Melkamu Frauendorf, and Layton Stewart, once, is him being good enough for Liverpools first team then crack on.

7 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

He has a point though. That was nothing like a 'first team squad' Ramsay played in even if its technically a first team game.