Major incidents in Kilmarnock

ICTChris

That and the fact that they quoted verbatim. Awful, lazy reporting. They must just sit on their swivel chairs and trawl the social media sites.

That’s certainly what they do at Glasgow Live (and sister papers) who I think are linked to the Daily Record in some way. They’ll post an “article” about a great deal at some restaurant or whatever and it’s just a copy of the post the restaurant made. They do similar with houses being sold, “this stunning West end townhouse you can get for X” and again it’s just something an estate agent has posted. To call it journalism is ridiculous, any idiot could trawl the internet and hit copy and paste. In this situation it’s disgusting, it gives credibility to social media rumours instead of actually investigating.

22 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

That’s certainly what they do at Glasgow Live (and sister papers) who I think are linked to the Daily Record in some way. They’ll post an “article” about a great deal at some restaurant or whatever and it’s just a copy of the post the restaurant made. They do similar with houses being sold, “this stunning West end townhouse you can get for X” and again it’s just something an estate agent has posted. To call it journalism is ridiculous, any idiot could trawl the internet and hit copy and paste. In this situation it’s disgusting, it gives credibility to social media rumours instead of actually investigating.

It was only when I was involved in a (positive) piece of journalism a couple of years ago that I realised that there long a long list of journalists who'll evidently just plagiarise things that they find on the press reader.  Stories popping up a few days later written by people I'd never heard of with so-called quotes that certainly never came from my mouth.   

That said, even the original journalist blew it way out of proportion to the level that an otherwise local news-level story became the most read article on the BBC Scotland website that day.  Even made prominent spaces in both the Scottish & English 'broadsheets'  8)

Edited by Hedgecutter

5 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

It was only when I was involved in a (positive) piece of journalism a couple of years ago that I realised that there long a long list of journalists who'll evidently just plagiarise things that they find on the press reader.  Stories popping up a few days later written by people I'd never heard of with so-called quotes that certainly never came from my mouth.   

That said, even the original journalist blew it way out of proportion to the level that an otherwise local news-level story became the most read article on the BBC Scotland website that day.  Even made prominent spaces in both the Scottish & English 'broadsheets'  8)

Get the story posted.

20 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

Glasgow Live and the Record are both Reach. 

Online journalism and print journalism are very (very) different things. I work in print and my girlfriend works in online and I can't believe some of the stuff they get as stories. 

Then again I'm very old-fashioned and a 70-year-old trapped in the body of a 23-year-old.

4 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

It was only when I was involved in a (positive) piece of journalism a couple of years ago that I realised that there long a long list of journalists who'll evidently just plagiarise things that they find on the press reader.  Stories popping up a few days later written by people I'd never heard of with so-called quotes that certainly never came from my mouth.   That said, even the original journalist blew it way out of proportion to the level that an otherwise local news-level story became the most read article on the BBC Scotland website that day.  8)

The Edinburgh Evening News once ripped an article of mine and I was absolutely seething. They did at least hyperlink it back to my original, but I don't understand why the reporter didn't just do the interview himself. I can't imagine ever doing that...nor getting away with it.

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Didn’t realise you were a spokeswoman from Camelot.

For complete avoidance of doubt, I posted that in jest.  Like the muffled calls for help from under the floorboards, all 'Begging PMs' shall go unanswered.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

For complete avoidance of doubt, I posted that in jest.  Like the muffled calls for help from under the floorboards, all 'Begging PMs' shall go unanswered.

Even ones originating from Glebe Park...?

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

That said, even the original journalist blew it way out of proportion to the level that an otherwise local news-level story became the most read article on the BBC Scotland website that day.  Even made prominent spaces in both the Scottish & English 'broadsheets' 

Surely not?

Police were called to a Scots high school yesterday after reports of children being attacked with a liquid containing 'manure, milk and eggs'.

A person, understood to have been dressed as Spiderman, threw the liquid 'stink-bomb' at pupils during lunchtime at Brechin High School, Angus.

2 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Karen Lard.

Got a couple of social media updates for you all:

1 - Saw a few different people upload pictures of candles burning with a “light a candle for Kilmarnock” post. Not for the victims, just for Kilmarnock.

2 - A girl who (ok she used to live in Ayrshire) lives In Australia shared the story with the comment of “too close to home”.

The video of the person being resuscitated appeared on my Twitter on Thursday night. I didn’t connect the dots for the first few seconds and seen the start of the video, although I really wish I hadn’t. I reported it to Twitter straight away, and it seems to have been taken down now. 

It’s really angered me though, how anyone could think it would be acceptable to pull a phone out and start taking a video of someone being resuscitated on the street, and for someone to then post that video on Twitter. What goes through people’s heads, what could possibly be gained from either taking that video or posting it on the internet. I’ve fortunately never found myself in a situation where I’m witnessing something like that, and hopefully never will, but I can absolutely guarantee that the last thing that would be going through my mind is ‘I should video this so other people can see it’. 

Edited by IrishBhoy