Hamilton Accies v The Trophy Laden Saviours of Scottish Football

9 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Step 1 Bring on Stirling. Step 2 ?. Step 3 concede goals.

How many times does Rice make a sub that doesnt need to be made and we concede almost straight away. He never, ever learns.

Melamed makes the defending look worse than it is. More often than not the striker's touch fails to see him get a shot away but more often than not, the striker isn't the reincarnation of Dennis Bergkamp. It was that good.

He's had four shots on target tonight, I thought he played well and May didn't do badly either. We struggled to clear our lines a bit for a while in the second half but the performance definitely merited something IMO. 

Really enjoyed Liam Craig's performance as well.

We aren't going to win every week and it's the points dropped earlier in the season that have hurt us more than this during a good winning run. 

That was painful but could see it coming after the changes. Played far too deep and invited St Johnstone on to us so was just a matter of time before we conceded. Really could've been doing with all three  but I'll take some consolation in the fact at least we weren't shite I suppose 

21 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

Rice said we defended well and were comfortable. Why make a sub that disrupts the defence and midfield then ?? 

It would be interesting to hear what Rice's rational was in changing a reasonably untroubled back 3 with only 5 minutes to go. I could understand the decision to take Trafford off who yet again drifted through a game doing as little as possible but surely if you are bringing Stirling on then you play him in midfield where he has played a big chunk of his football this season rather than change a solid defence.

We might possibly look back it as a decent point in a performance which wasn't as good as late but wasn't the turgid anti football of Nov, Dec & Jan. We missed Jamie Hamilton for his ability in bringing the ball out of defence and although Moyo was improved in the 2nd half he doesn't hold the ball up anywhere near as well as Ogkmboe.

Some decent performances - back 3 all played well, Callaghan took his goal brilliantly, Anderson continues to impress and McMann excellent as usual.  

6 minutes ago, Owsley said:

I didn't watch it, what was the defensive switch?

Back 3 of Easton, Martin and Odoffin for 85 minutes.

5 minutes left Rice brought on Ben Stirling for Charlie Trafford put Stirling at Centre back and shifted Odoffin into midfield.

In fairness St Johnstone were on top at the point and may have equalized regardless but it was a big call at a big moment in the season made worse by Stirling looking badly at fault for the goal.

3 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Think those 2 dropped points may prove costly for Accies at the end of the season. Cant see beyond them and County in the relegation spots

*hopefully its Killie though so I can see 4 Ayrshire derbies next season 

You'll be in League 1..... so thats no happenin 

We weren't at our best but the players didn't give up and a moment of real quality got us a deserved point in the end. I've worried that we're not capable of picking up points when we don't play well, but that concern has been quelled a few times recently. 

Hamilton have all the qualities you'd hope for in a team near the bottom of the table. They really scrapped and wanted it tonight, I don't see a side with those qualities going down, especially if Callachan continues to summon the spirit of peak powers Frank Lampard.

Guy Melamed had a quiet night generally I felt but was a couple of quality saves away from scoring a (perfect) hat trick. The boy is moneyball and is definitely a player to be enjoyed whilst he's here, I can't see him being with us next season.

Was worried I’d be heading into a night shift off the back of a real St Johnstone in late 2020 style loss, where we played alright and passed the ball around without making enough big chances to actually score the goals to counter an opposition sucker punch. Then bam - Guy Melamed does something so amazing it doesn’t even look that good on TV because the cameras don’t have the slo-mo to properly capture the touch and finish. Felt bad for him missing out Sunday (he looked sad!) but hope he knows just how big a factor he has been in our form upturn this calendar year.

Echo Kyle’s thoughts above on Hamilton and think the difference that could keep them up is defo Anderson, as well as Callachan (how the f**k). Both were a level above most players on the pitch I thought in terms of desire, confidence and I guess talent.. We should throw Stevie May’s massive wages at the former in the summer.

The one attribute Callachan had was that he could pick a moment to break forward. Accies are quite a back to front team, so keeping Callachan out of and away from any area where actual football needs to be played has clearly found something in him. Having him so advanced also allows for his disposition to always go to ground when attempting a tackle. 

That's what good management is about though, finding ways to milk the most out of the players you have. It doesn't matter whether Brian Rice identified that before signing him or not, he's found the role for him in his team now. Same goes for Odoffin when he uses him in midfield. 

I think @PauloPerth touched on it but the tinge of disappointment for me was that Brown looked very ordinary and I just wonder if, when chasing the game, O'Halloran would have been a better shout. He'd have had a good few one-on-one opportunities against Hodson. It's going back to the point about Callachan but that's the one thing you want O'Halloran doing.