Hate Crime Bill Passed

Lyle Lanley

5 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

Having a more diverse ruling class isn’t one of my priorities, however, reducing inequality and the power the ruling class has is one of my priorities. 

More corpses for zombies, that is my priority.

41 minutes ago, GordonS said:

No, that's not "tbf". It's anything but fair.

Underrepresentation of women and minorities in senior roles in the public and private sectors is well-documented and can only have one of two possible causes: white men are better than everyone else or there are institutional and systemic barriers. Which is it?

They aren't that underrepresented though. According to the 2011 census black people made up 0.13% of the population and the majority of those were first generation immigrants. How many folk who move to a country become that politically involved? Things will change in that respect over time (they are changing now) but he ignores that entirely and jumps immediately to "structural racism".  

It's a pretty wild speech but it's Humza all over. He loves playing the role of victim (see "I've been fighting for my rights my  whole life" when talking about someone else's struggle or the time he fell over his knee-scooter and dug Glenn Campbell for making fun of someone with a disability when he posted the video) and this is just that. I have no problem taking a look at Scotland's racism, and I wouldn't claim that Scotland doesn't have any sense of structural racism, but everything he talked about here can be explained by other factors. He also identifies a problem that, as a poster pointed out earlier, might not actually be a problem but an accurate reflection of our demographics. 

Should I be surprised that two of the posters being performatively stupid and pretending not to understand hate crime legislation are the "why can't I call people t**ker or p*k?" guy and someone who defended Raith Rovers signing David Goodwillie?

Edited by GHF-23

45 minutes ago, velo army said:

They aren't that underrepresented though. According to the 2011 census black people made up 0.13% of the population and the majority of those were first generation immigrants. How many folk who move to a country become that politically involved? 

A little diversion but a cool story - German immigrants to Chicago (aided and abetted by some Irish) rose up against anti-immigrant Mayor Levi Boone after he decreed pubs were to be closed on Sunday. Boone was emptied within a year of taking office for the immigrants preferred candidate James Curtiss. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lager_Beer_Riot

Edited by carpetmonster

14 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

Should I be surprised that two of the posters being performatively stupid and pretending not to understand hate crime legislation are the "why can't I call people t**ker or p*k?" guy and someone who defended Raith Rovers signing David Goodwillie?

What is this? I'm gagging for some new slurs as I've used the old ones to death. I'm excited to learn a new one.

4 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

A little diversion but a cool story - German immigrants to Chicago (aided and abetted by some Irish) rose up against anti-immigrant Mayor Levi Boone after he decreed pubs were to be closed on Sunday. Boone was emptied within a year of taking office. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lager_Beer_Riot

That is a pretty cool story. I look back at history and see fantastic levels of political involvement, especially in the states with its new and dynamic demography. A wee petty thing about the video is the music was a massive distraction and quite needless. It is a great story and it shows that if you take away people's beer (especially the Germans) then they'll fucking fight you. 

I think if we made religion illegal we'd probably start to see some of the Nigerian lads getting involved as I've met loads of them and they absolutely fucking love Jesus. Or if we made it illegal to wear any coloured clothing to church. Mind you I'd join that as seeing all the west Africans outside the greyest church on the greyest street in Aberdeen (King St) on a Sunday is absolutely magnificent. 

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

This is exactly what a journalist needs to ask him - which protected group will he be threatening or abusing, and how does he intend to stir up hatred of them?

I’m no expert in this matter and I may be wildly wrong but I’m going to say (i) catholics and (ii) singing songs about being up to his knees in their blood having killed them.

Im sure the microphones at the game will help confirm/deny this though.

10 hours ago, velo army said:

They aren't that underrepresented though. According to the 2011 census black people made up 0.13% of the population and the majority of those were first generation immigrants. How many folk who move to a country become that politically involved? Things will change in that respect over time (they are changing now) but he ignores that entirely and jumps immediately to "structural racism".  

It's a pretty wild speech but it's Humza all over. He loves playing the role of victim (see "I've been fighting for my rights my  whole life" when talking about someone else's struggle or the time he fell over his knee-scooter and dug Glenn Campbell for making fun of someone with a disability when he posted the video) and this is just that. I have no problem taking a look at Scotland's racism, and I wouldn't claim that Scotland doesn't have any sense of structural racism, but everything he talked about here can be explained by other factors. He also identifies a problem that, as a poster pointed out earlier, might not actually be a problem but an accurate reflection of our demographics. 

Navigating those daily struggles in a good fee paying school make him the perfect candidate to be lecturing Scotland on disadvantage. 

What is this? I'm gagging for some new slurs as I've used the old ones to death. I'm excited to learn a new one.

I have no idea what the first one is either.

It's one letter short of the most common one for South Asian people. 

10 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Imagine spending so much time being raging that you can’t say nasty stuff online without the possibly of consequences. 

I think we can broadly agree that Twitter has been a net bad for politics but I'd particularly like to meet the media strategist who seems to have told every politician in recent years that their reaction to pretty minor things they don't like should be to pretend they are pissing and shitting themselves with fear or rage. They've all become the equivalent of people who phone call centres and describe not getting exactly what they want as disgusting or a scam. 

19 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I always thought the "slur" against travelling people up here was gyppo - maybe just an edinburgh thing.

It's often shortened to tink and is generally used to describe that family on the street whose children are frequently unkempt and whose garden looks like it suffered a very localised hurricane. Also interchangeable with traveller families. 

I can feel my chest tighten as I write that as I don't like how that word is used at all.

Gyppo I've only ever heard referring to Clyde supporters, but I dare say that's a Jags thing.

Edited by velo army

1 hour ago, GHF-23 said:

I think we can broadly agree that Twitter has been a net bad for politics but I'd particularly like to meet the media strategist who seems to have told every politician in recent years that their reaction to pretty minor things they don't like should be to pretend they are pissing and shitting themselves with fear or rage. They've all become the equivalent of people who phone call centres and describe not getting exactly what they want as disgusting or a scam. 

....or a trivial or minor alteration to something as a "disaster waiting to happen".