Tory Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy- Add Them Here

HTG

12 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

One thing that's always bothered re: the subject at hand is the concept of 'integration' that no-one seems to ever define or elaborate on. The irony is any given definition would show normal island to be a smidge hypocritical if your stereotypical ex-pat in Spain is anything to go by.

Tebbut's cricket test probably being the worst measure.

13 hours ago, BTFD said:

I've been hearing the "Scotland's lucky, it doesn't have to put up with them" stuff from racists for decades. We had one on here who memorably told a terrifying story about the time he was on a bus in London and realised that nobody else on the bus was white!  :o

The story finished there, but I assume they all must have jumped him and twisted his nipples or something.

I was once on a bus in Dingwall when I realised everybody else was a County fan!

Still I lived to tell the tale!

5 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I was once on a bus in Dingwall when I realised everybody else was a County fan!

Still I lived to tell the tale!

Aye, but who was their big team?  :o

16 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Not wanting to have a go at you, but this is a deeply off thing to say. Leaving aside the fact that “grooming gangs” in itself is a dog whistle term, I don’t think it should be incumbent upon anyone to root out problematic behaviour within immigrant communities any more than they would in non-immigrant communities.

Also, if you see, for example, child sexual abuse by some men of Pakistani origin, and that inspires hatred towards all men of Pakistani origin, do you not think that that maybe says something about you or the way in which the media have reported the crime, as opposed to saying something about the wider Pakistani community? 

I didn’t read that as a criticism of immigrant communities, but of British society.  There have been failures to tackle grooming gangs that were found to have been failures in part because of a fear of causing offence. Those were failures of UK institutions to deal appropriately and impartially with a crime. Those failures do feed in to the narrative in the lopsided reporting that political correctness has gone mad.

Dog whistle pish and she knows it. The thought Little Englundur / White Van Man wants more integration is laughable.  We all know who she is blaming for the lack of integration yet it suits a large swathe of the "indigenous" (sic) population just fine. Ideally they wouldn't have them here at all but if they must let them have their own wee enclave in some run down Northern towns is basically policy and has been for decades. 

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

I didn’t read that as a criticism of immigrant communities, but of British society.  There have been failures to tackle grooming gangs that were found to have been failures in part because of a fear of causing offence. Those were failures of UK institutions to deal appropriately and impartially with a crime. Those failures do feed in to the narrative in the lopsided reporting that political correctness has gone mad.

That was exactly my point and you've put it a lot better than I did.  As further examples, I don't wish to live in a society which routinely apprehends young black men on suspicion of crime, but neither do I wish to live in one which turns a blind eye to arranged marriages for fear of upsetting cultural sensibilities.  The former will find favour with racists, but the latter will provide ammunition.

Neither situation is acceptable.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Dog whistle pish and she knows it. The thought Little Englundur / White Van Man wants more integration is laughable.  We all know who she is blaming for the lack of integration yet it suits a large swathe of the "indigenous" (sic) population just fine. Ideally they wouldn't have them here at all but if they must let them have their own wee enclave in some run down Northern towns is basically policy and has been for decades. 

I’d like to see more integration, but one of the biggest hurdles to this is religious affiliation.  Not a problem limited to immigration as a quick look at Northern Ireland will show.

The fact that Braverman is willing to sit down and do an "interview" with Anderson as if he's a credible person, nevermind credible politician or journalist, says everything about the pair of them.

He's a useful idiot for the far right of that party that facilitates them chucking out more and more obscene ideas while still having plausible deniability. Said as much when he was made Deputy Chair, and here we are witnessing that in action.

2 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Prepare for a hard-hitting interview

“Right Suella, people say us Brits are racist but we’ve got your kind in No 10 and at the Home Office”.

“Well Lee…”

”I’d prefer if you’d call me Mister Anderson”

Edited by Granny Danger