Are YOU Voting for the Alba Party?

NotThePars

Who's Voting for the Alba Party?  

398 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I can just about see the point of folk who want independence voting for Alba in a PR election for Holyrood.

I can see no point at all in folk voting for Alba in a FPTP election which may have the effect of sending more Unionist MPs from Scotland to Westminster.  From my point of view it's bad enough that the pro-independence vote is already split with the Greens.

After ten years of inaction and poor governance, the approximately 20% of people who support independence, but not the SNP, are lost and likely not coming back.

The SNP could also have accepted Alba's Scotland United proposal, which would have benefited both parties and the wider independence movement greatly, but they did not.

Posted (edited)

Alba's only hope of Holyrood seats by getting SNP voters to pick Alba second has gone out the window with SNP probably needing every 2nd and 3rd vote they can get. Not sure what Alba's strategy for Westminster elections was, but their representation will likely go to zero. No idea who I'd vote for if SNP stood aside for an Alba candidate in my constituency, but it certainly wouldn't be a culture warrior genital inspector.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Analytica said:

After ten years of inaction and poor governance, the approximately 20% of people who support independence, but not the SNP, are lost and likely not coming back.

The SNP could also have accepted Alba's Scotland United proposal, which would have benefited both parties and the wider independence movement greatly, but they did not.

You might be right, but there is absolutely no point in pro-independence voters casting their votes for Alba (who will win zero seats) when those votes might mean that the SNP will fail to win seats against unionist candidates.

Any seats lost by the SNP will be trumpeted by unionists as "proving" that Scots voters don't want independence.  Whatever happens in the next parliament we really don't need more unionists from Scottish constituencies.

Still, each to his or her own.

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Analytica said:

So you think the SNP governance of Scotland has been worse than the Tory governance of the U.K. and/or the Labour governance of Wales.

• 3 weeks later...

We've got two of the Abla crew standing in Alloa and Grangemouth - Kenny MacAskill, and Eva Comrie, who left Abla because they weren't hardline enough about genitals. Neither of them are winning, obviously, but it'll be interesting to see if their combined vote total is greater than Labour's inevitable lead over the SNP. It feels like that's the victory state for them now.

I am in Edinburgh South, kunto Ian Murrays seat, and while I will vote SNP, there is a daftie Alba candidate there who will split the Indy vote. 

Congratulations on giving Murray a helping hand (that he doesnt really need) Alex...............

On 07/06/2024 at 09:05, Salt n Vinegar said:

I can just about see the point of folk who want independence voting for Alba in a PR election for Holyrood.

I can see no point at all in folk voting for Alba in a FPTP election which may have the effect of sending more Unionist MPs from Scotland to Westminster.  From my point of view it's bad enough that the pro-independence vote is already split with the Greens.

Protest vote?

If you want independence and that’s a deal-breaker, but you’re pissed off with the SNP, then your choices are down to Abla or the Greens. Neither of whom are likely to get elected in FPTP elections in Scotland. However, you’re still registering your preference for independence, rather than for cock and balls.

Either way, the SNP have done the square root of hee haw at Westminster. In the ‘80s before the Scottish Parliament getting that many SNP MPs would maybe have led to independence. Now they are just ignored.

22 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Protest vote?

If you want independence and that’s a deal-breaker, but you’re pissed off with the SNP, then your choices are down to Abla or the Greens. Neither of whom are likely to get elected in FPTP elections in Scotland. However, you’re still registering your preference for independence, rather than for cock and balls.

Either way, the SNP have done the square root of hee haw at Westminster. In the ‘80s before the Scottish Parliament getting that many SNP MPs would maybe have led to independence. Now they are just ignored.

With the current constitutional set up, and the inability of the Supreme Court to find a way to interpret the law in a way that gives the Scottish electorate any power over it's future, the only tool in the box is to consistently achieve an independence mandate.  If the SNP consistently win a majority of Scottish seats at Westminster and are repeatedly voted into government in Scotland (despite the honking last couple of years) I really don't see why returning Labour MPs or wasting votes on Alba would increase the likelihood of Scottish independence.

As is outlined in my signature below, we have to keep pressure on Westminster to recognise how utterly ridiculous their stranglehold on Scotland's future is. 

This time round, with the Tories about to have their underpants pulled up and over their heads, there has never been a better time for pro-independence Labour voters to vote SNP in such numbers that even Sarwar and Starmer can't pretend that they know better.

4 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

With the current constitutional set up, and the inability of the Supreme Court to find a way to interpret the law in a way that gives the Scottish electorate any power over it's future, the only tool in the box is to consistently achieve an independence mandate.  If the SNP consistently win a majority of Scottish seats at Westminster and are repeatedly voted into government in Scotland (despite the honking last couple of years) I really don't see why returning Labour MPs or wasting votes on Alba would increase the likelihood of Scottish independence.

As is outlined in my signature below, we have to keep pressure on Westminster to recognise how utterly ridiculous their stranglehold on Scotland's future is. 

This time round, with the Tories about to have their underpants pulled up and over their heads, there has never been a better time for pro-independence Labour voters to vote SNP in such numbers that even Sarwar and Starmer can't pretend that they know better.

IMG_1718.gif.aee491411f88a85cda85334d206059e2.gif

33 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

What pressure is this? Westminster have ignored the SNP at Westminster. There’s been no comeback for that.

20 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

What pressure is this? Westminster have ignored the SNP at Westminster. There’s been no comeback for that.

What’s your solution?  Armed insurrection?  People who support Independence just giving up?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

What’s your solution?  Armed insurrection?  People who support Independence just giving up?

I'm all for a policy of active non-compliance. Stop sending exports of irn-bru, tunnocks, and lorne sausage south of the border, have The Proclaimers blaring outside Holyrood House at 4am whenever a royal parasite is in residence, send a Tartan Army raiding party to point and laugh at the England squad as the get off the plane returning from the Euros, John Swinney to refuse to communicate with English politicians in anything other than broad Scots, that sort of thing.

Edited by Boo Khaki

What is support base for Alba Party? Seems like they are right wing pro indy party.

How many of those people are in Scotland? I reckon most right wingers up there, the few they have, are Unionists?

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, thekorean said:

What is support base for Alba Party? Seems like they are right wing pro indy party.

How many of those people are in Scotland? I reckon most right wingers up there, the few they have, are Unionists?

Not much. They attract a few people because of their Gender Critical stance, but then I can't take seriously anyone who claims to be concerned about women's rights, but advocates voting for a party led by a man who is a self-confessed botherer of women.

If the SNP continue to flounder then I'd imagine their support will grow a little bit due to disaffected pro-Indi voters jumping ship, but right now the perception is that they're yet another fringe party full of folk with questionable qualities. I'm not sure of the viability of parties in Scotland who appear to be as much about who or what they are against as much as they are in favour of anything. SNP cleared up in an unprecedented way by trying to pitch a consistently positive message about Scotland's potential, and I don't think "No" messages quite resonate in the same way with the Scottish public. Tories have been relentlessly "No to everything" for years, and even in their supposed halcyon period under Tank Commander Ruth they struggled to attract 25% of the vote.

Edited by Boo Khaki

2 hours ago, thekorean said:

Wings over Scotland subscribers.

13 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Armed insurrection? 😂 

Most people in this country can barely be bothered voting. They certainly have better things to do with their time than get heavily involved with politics, so I think the insurrection is off.

I’m at the point where, if I’m being realistic about it, I’m sceptical that independence will happen. The political parties that want it don’t appear to have a way of making it happen and we’ve been tied into the union with England for too long, which means a fair amount of English people have settled here and/or married Scottish people. However, as the numbers are still hovering around 50% and Britain looks a morally bankrupt, financial basket case, with no hope in sight, it’s good to keep it on the table.

Hopefully it does happen. On the Abla thing, it’s good to have some sort of Indy favouring alternative to the SNP. Alba don’t seem to be it yet, but I’m glad someone tried. The SNP have morphed into your everyday successful political party who now care more about staying in power than about their original ideals.

13 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Wings over Scotland subscribers.

It's amazing the number of people who, a few years back, were deriding the Rev as a typically deranged "cybernat", but are now wanking themselves into a frenzy over every word he writes because he now hates the SNP and trans people.