Midlands League

Marten

Took this one in tonight... I've seen Lochee now twice this season and both times they've lost 3-0... so don't fret Lochee fans, I've no immediate plans to see you again. At least for now.

Thought Broughty were well worth the win tonight. Had more pace, energy and creativity all game. A really well worked and excellently finished first goal knocked Lochee out their stride. A goalkeeper wandering into no man's land and missing a crossed ball gifted Broughty a 2nd. Then an absolutely worldy of a free kick - about 30 yards out into top corner completely killed any attempts at a fightback. 

Not sure who he is, but the number 7 for Broughty looks an excellent player and was the pick of the bunch for them.

Was a decent game for the neutral and looked to be a really good crowd in.

I just feel like we never really tried today. That's what gets me the most. Attitude and playing together as a team is so much worse than earlier this season. That made me so disappointed today. I know we can do much better but we seem to have lost it. 

Took in tonight's game as a neutral - was bitterly disappointed in Lochee Utd.  Just seemed so incredibly lacklustre from start to finish in a match that should have meant so much.........not to take anything away from Broughty who scored 3 without reply, 2 of which were sublime.

Have to say one or two of their coaches didn't help - we were over that side of the ground and they were bouncing up and down for 90 solid minutes contesting every single decision - there's a time and a place for that if you're picking your battles, but very little evidence of supporting a struggling team (on the night anyway) with any real substance or tactical guidance.

Hopefully it's just a bad day at the office - can't be too harsh on an otherwise superb season, just strange timing to not appear to be up for the fight.

7 hours ago, Edzellcityfan said:

Was he not there before? Gary Balfour’s son. 

I did think that but maybe his other son?

So the title race:

image.png.d3e4cf3c390864a27329c4e3b346e537.png

Broughty are in control with a 14 point lead over Lochee United and a 23 point lead over North End. Lochee Utd would need to win their in-hand games and beat Broughty Athletic to get within touching distance.

The next few weeks are crucial with Broughty playing against Downfield, Panmure and East Craigie before the de facto title decider at the Quest on the 27th, while Lochee only have North End of sides in the top half - who still are in the title race, just but still have 15 games to play!

Spoiler

Saturday, March 9

• Brechin Victoria vs Lochee United
  • Downfield vs Broughty Athletic

Saturday, March 16

• Carnoustie Panmure vs Broughty Athletic
  • Lochee United vs Dundee North End

Saturday, March 23

• Broughty Athletic vs East Craigie
  • Coupar Angus vs Lochee United

Wednesday, March 27

• Broughty Athletic vs Lochee United

Saturday, March 30

• Lochee United vs Lochee Harp
  • Scone Thistle vs Broughty Athletic

1 hour ago, F_T_Y said:

Do broughty have a license?

Only Tayport and Lochee United in the Midlands.  Golpsie and Fort William in the North Caley, no on in the North Juniors has one.

2 hours ago, Marten said:

No, and unlikely to get it any time soon.

What are the issues preventing them from applying (Apart from the SFA themselves)

its one of the better facilities in the league. good area of cover and has floodlights.

From my days of running youth teams in Perth and at one point having to play in a Dundee league the changing rooms were adequate. 

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

What are the issues preventing them from applying (Apart from the SFA themselves)

its one of the better facilities in the league. good area of cover and has floodlights.

From my days of running youth teams in Perth and at one point having to play in a Dundee league the changing rooms were adequate. 

Cover, floodlights etc. aren't the issue indeed. In terms of spectator facilities it's only really the toilets I believe. But other issues aren't really visible to spectators. Things like dressing rooms and other facilities for players/officials/referees aren't to the SFA licensing standards.

Obviously there are other licensing demands than just the ground but Broughty have plenty of volunteers / committee members so I'm sure they could pass those. It's more difficult to sort the other issues as I believe it's a council owned facility.

On 07/03/2024 at 09:41, TheScarf said:

Only Tayport and Lochee United in the Midlands.  Golpsie and Fort William in the North Caley, no on in the North Juniors has one.

This genuinely is a massive problem for the Pyramid. 

13 hours ago, edinabear said:

This genuinely is a massive problem for the Pyramid. 

It's only the 3rd season of the fully open pyramid tbf, but I agree there's an alarming lack of licensed teams below the HL.

Don't disagree but the opening up and creation of a pyramid is about giving opportunity for clubs wishing to get licenced and to climb the pyramid.

If, at present, there are no licenced clubs  likely to be champions of their leagues then maybe it's time to open up the promotion opportunity to the leagues runner-up too. If the champions aren't licenced why shouldn't the runners-up take their place in the play-offs? If they're good enough they will win and gain promotion - so strengthening the Highland League. That's what happens in England and Wales. Doesn't seem to cause issues there.