Stranraer vs Dumbarton/Dumbarton vs Stranraer

Well done Dumbarton.

From a neutral point of view that was a fairly boring second half, after a good first half. Stranraer were surprisingly poor and, penalty aside, never really looked like scoring. Even if they had scored the penalty, I'd have fancied Dumbarton to lift it again and probably retake the lead.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

The Wilson misses in the first half and some wasteful chances from Jones in the 2nd never cost us in the end. We were by far the better team in the first 45 minutes but Stranraer absolutely had their moments in the 2nd half. I'm surprised that they weren't given the foul on the edge of the box shortly before their penalty. Ramsbottom had the penalty covered and was probably saving it. Just not enough power to take it past him if it had been inside the post. I thought Quitongo looked really shakey for much of the game, but did very well in the final few minutes. Hopefully Wilson is fit for the final 2 play-off games because Jones isnt going to score goals and it's difficult to see who does? Credit to Duffy for getting the selection and formation right for that first half. I thought we were too negative in the 2nd half and allowed Stranraer the chance to try and get back into it. Ultimately they didnt test Ramsbottom nearly enough despite having plenty of possession in dangerous positions. Credit to Neill, Carswell and McAlister for that. Final ball from Stranraer was poor more often than not and we defended their forwards pretty well.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

1 minute ago, the snudge said:

We did deserve to win that but Edinburgh City will be formidable. The playoff format suits duffball if we take the lead. The shining light is only 2 games and he's gone.

Imagine if he actually ended up staying now.

3 minutes ago, the snudge said:

We did deserve to win that but Edinburgh City will be formidable. The playoff format suits duffball if we take the lead. The shining light is only 2 games and he's gone.

Just how formidable.?I think Stranraer ran them very close in the league.

They do hav Danny Handling,,,ex-players and all that.

5 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

What a Jekyll and Hyde performance that was.  As Moonster says, probably our best 45 minutes followed by an unforced error-strewn panic show.  But we move on and I only wish we had about five Nick McAllister's in that team, the lad is quality.

I'll second that, he was MOTM again tonight. If his contracts up in the summer and we have intentions of moving upwards he's the sort of player we should be after.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

I'll second that, he was MOTM again tonight. If his contracts up in the summer and we have intentions of moving upwards he's the sort of player we should be after.

Big challenge there will be getting the right manager in place.

McAlister probably isnt going to go back to his parent club and continue with them. He'll have done enough to impress and would almost certainly get offers from the Championship. But will it be offers of regular football? If we do stay up then we should be targeting guys like Nick McAlister. Guys who are good enough to play regularly and who should get that chance with us. He's young enough that a season of regular first team football with Dumbarton could be the stepping stone to full time football elsewhere in the future. Needs the right manager to sell the club to players who are good enough to be full time in the near future but who perhaps need to be playing regularly at a part time club to help them develop a bit further.

Do nt remember much danger after penalty despite us giving up territory. 
thought wedderburn disappeared.

for all the criticism he gets thought Jones led the line ok tonight 

what the set up re cried for final ??? 

Thank christ for that.

We rode our luck with the penalty but over the two legs we more than deserved to progress. Bar the penalty tonight Stranraer never really troubled us despite us absolutely keechin our pants in the 2nd half. 

I have no idea what to expect from Edinburgh City in the final but I’m still most definitely worried about our lack of goals.

Deservedly through over the two legs I think. First half tonight was our best half of football in a long time.

Excellent to get through to the final. Lots of work still to do but some really good performances tonight and well done to the lads.