Another St Johnstone European Tour!

Steve McQueen

17 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

That's straight out of the old firm book of excuses.

"It wizny us. It was Chelsea/Hammerby fans." 

To be fair, he looks Turkish (to the little ethnic looks can be said to mean nationality these days) and was supposedly doing some offensive Turkish gesture to them.

Obviously doesn't excuse stadium violence by any means, but it is at least one degree different from them attacking home Randers fans.

True that, but I'd expect that season ticket holders will immediately get the option to purchase additional tickets, alongside their own, for 'friends and family' just like last time. We've only got a short window of opportunity to sell these tickets so I think they'll keep it as similar as possible.
They'll have to buy there own too. Season tickets won't be valid for this one.

5 hours ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Seems we had aucky escape not letting in many galatasary fans 

Tribunsel (@tribunsel) Tweeted: Bir Randers taraftarı Galatasaray tribününü tahrik edince ortalık bir anda karışıyor. https://t.co/GBH1bfiAot

Though the guy getting battered supposedly a fenerbache fan who just went to game to wind them up

Was that Duncan Norville in the light beige shirt?

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Get a season ticket

Not really an option. I live in Norfolk and work in Lincolnshire. 

Only get to 2,3, or 4 games a season when I'm home visiting mum. Each visit coincides with a home game surprisingly ;)

I've reflected on last nights result and at the time I was happy with the end score, I still am. If you'd offered me a draw and a chance to take it back to Perth before the game I'd have snapped your hand off. 

However, this team isn't to be feared. They don't have the same match winners that Galatasaray had, they don't have a stand out player who's going to beat 3 men and put one in the top corner. If anything they're like the Austrian versions of ourselves, which in a way probably made them difficult to play against the first time. You can see that they're weak when being countered on and don't have a lot of pace at the back. Where the Galatasaray platers made defensive errors their players were quick enough and strong enough to simply body our attackers. This team can't do that, Kane, Middleton and O'Halloran are all too quick or strong on occasion and it showed. I'm inclined to play Spoony in the middle next week with Kane and Middleton up top, where it can turn into a 3-4-3 when defending, but the space that may be afforded to Spoony could be invaluable to create openings and chances, it would also allow him to sit on their playmaker and stop the passes being rattled into their front man. 

Either way we'll get chances against them, it's just about whether we can take enough of them to outscore them. Or even get in front again and see the game out. But feeling a lot more positive about our chances of going through, which is slightly worrying!

I’m not sure what to make of LASK, I can’t tell if they have the potential to take things up a gear and last night was just a poor showing from them.

I don’t think they are anywhere as good as Gala. We have to play with intensity, it’s as simple as that. Nobody wants to see Saints resort to hoofball and start playing negative football. We’ve shown that by playing positive, attacking football we can get goals against top teams. We are well organised but our defence is still clumsy at times and if we sit back we will be punished.

9 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I’m not sure what to make of LASK, I can’t tell if they have the potential to take things up a gear and last night was just a poor showing from them.

I'm obviously not an expert, but I think they rely on quick interplay between CBs, WBs, and CMs, to get them up the park. Second half felt like they started doing that and the ball started getting zipped about, and we started getting dragged out of position. First half I think we prevented them completely and forced them long, and they looked ordinary.

If we take our chances last night we win that comfortably IMO. Cant help but think fatigue caught up with us late in the game more than anything, though.

30 minutes ago, Widge said:

I've reflected on last nights result and at the time I was happy with the end score, I still am. If you'd offered me a draw and a chance to take it back to Perth before the game I'd have snapped your hand off. 

However, this team isn't to be feared. They don't have the same match winners that Galatasaray had, they don't have a stand out player who's going to beat 3 men and put one in the top corner. If anything they're like the Austrian versions of ourselves, which in a way probably made them difficult to play against the first time. You can see that they're weak when being countered on and don't have a lot of pace at the back. Where the Galatasaray platers made defensive errors their players were quick enough and strong enough to simply body our attackers. This team can't do that, Kane, Middleton and O'Halloran are all too quick or strong on occasion and it showed. I'm inclined to play Spoony in the middle next week with Kane and Middleton up top, where it can turn into a 3-4-3 when defending, but the space that may be afforded to Spoony could be invaluable to create openings and chances, it would also allow him to sit on their playmaker and stop the passes being rattled into their front man. 

Either way we'll get chances against them, it's just about whether we can take enough of them to outscore them. Or even get in front again and see the game out. But feeling a lot more positive about our chances of going through, which is slightly worrying!

This is pretty much what I was going to post, but I'd go with the same front 3 as it's the pace that killed them. 

There were times last night, particularly around the time of the goal and for patches of the first half where we looked unplayable. Really excellent football. But for some reason we seemed to lose a bit of self-confidence and LASK slowly played themselves back into the game while we sat back. It may well have been fatigue and protecting a lead away from home but I think they don't come back from 2-0, I don't think they have the heart. 

What confused me again was Callum's subs, or more the timing. We basically played the whole game with the same 11 and struggled for the last 25 minutes. Not sure why he leaves his subs so late. 

One last thought is that we seem to have got through it without picking up any injuries (maybe Zander) but Grgic looked like he dislocated his shoulder so me might well be missing, meaning they're probably missing another defensive starter. 

Not getting ahead of things here, but it’s nice to see what the inventive is.

From the coefficient thread, someone has pasted a list of potential qualifiers for conf league group stage from another site and where they’d be seeded.

Obviously a lot to be decided, and it’s got Lask in there instead of us, and Tottenham despite them getting beaten in the first leg, but gives an idea of where we would be placed. Saints have 6.675 points (Aberdeen 7.5) so both would likely be in pot 3.

91633607-72D6-42BA-9D5E-BF72C0B4C090.jpeg.973ada0216f137963bfc2c79171342e7.jpeg

It’s hard not to dream and get ahead of ourselves but some of the teams involved in the competition are immense. Imagine going away to Rome, Mourinho at McDiarmid, Spurs away, Feyenoord away, Copenhagen, France, Belgium…it’s enough to make you drool.

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

It’s hard not to dream and get ahead of ourselves but some of the teams involved in the competition are immense. Imagine going away to Rome, Mourinho at McDiarmid, Spurs away, Feyenoord away, Copenhagen, France, Belgium…it’s enough to make you drool.

How many of them do you support?

12 hours ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Seems we had aucky escape not letting in many galatasary fans 

Tribunsel (@tribunsel) Tweeted: Bir Randers taraftarı Galatasaray tribününü tahrik edince ortalık bir anda karışıyor. https://t.co/GBH1bfiAot

Though the guy getting battered supposedly a fenerbache fan who just went to game to wind them up

Surely nobody could be that stupid🤔?... Except maybe Graeme Souness. 

18 hours ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Knew that would get a treehouse redwan.

Gordon's an excellent CB for Saints, and I'm delighted to have him, but there's a reason he's not being talked about for the English Championship like McCann and the other two are.

He's too good for the English Championship?

I was very surprised by how direct LASK went so often last night - so many times they lifted it over the heads of our back line to run on to, but our defence were quite happy with that. It helped relieve a lot of pressure on us when they just turned over possession back to us like that.

When I saw the line up my only thought was that for next week I'd almost certainly want Wotherspoon in for MOH. After watching the game, that is a very tough call IMO. Our goal and one of our best chances came as a result of his running. LASK didn't like him or Middleton driving at them with pace one bit. Would we want to lose that next week? On the flip side, I felt we were often far too rushed in possession and just lashed it forward when we really needed to try and get our foot on the ball and move it about a bit. Wotherspoon would certainly offer a bit more security in possession and I'd love to see him unleash the chop against them to be fair...

We did brilliantly to keep LASK at bay for huge stretches of that game, and aside from that header off the post at the end they rarely got in behind us. I also didn't think we'd create that many clear chances over both legs - never mind in the away one - and it is a bit of a shame we didn't capitalise on them. I'd have like to have seen LASK's reaction to going 2-0 down...