Euro 2020 Final - England vs Italy

smpar

Did England have a shot on target after their goal, scored in the 2nd minute of a cup final being played at home, their first in 55 years, that went for a full 120 minutes?

Harry Kane didn't have a touch in the Italian box all night. Not one. That's mental.

38 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

The amount of Rangers fans commenting on Scots celebrating, saying “embarrassing”, “bitter wee men”, “pathetic” - it’s just absolutely wonderful. I hope they are having a truly terrible night! emoji38.png

I'll be honest here, as a Scot we shouldn't celebrate the failure of England. As an ardent nationalist, the anti-English vibe is unhelpful and somewhat parochial. That said, it's with no relief that Italy won.

Edit: I see this comment is getting some hate. Fair enough, but we need to be pragmatic about this. It's hilarious the English lost, but equally we shouldn't indulge in nationalist onanism.

Edited by Ric

3 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

The amount of Rangers fans commenting on Scots celebrating, saying “embarrassing”, “bitter wee men”, “pathetic” - it’s just absolutely wonderful. I hope they are having a truly terrible night! emoji38.png

I'm sure those same fans kept a dignified silence on 21st May 2003.

I don't watch much football outside of Scotland these days, so getting to see more of some of these Italian players has been joyous. We all know what the centre halves are about, probably the best defensive partnership of the last 15 years. In the early games I loved watching Nicolo Barella, the most South American of European midfielders I've seen, he always looks to play forward when he receives the ball. Spinazzola proved me wrong, and the Italian theory right, that playing full backs on their wrong side can be highly effective. When Donnarumma started breaking through at Milan it was fairly obvious he was going to be one of the best players in the world for 15-20 years, a goalie with that frame and composure is a sight to behold. He's certainly lived up to that. Chiesa I'd enjoyed watching prior to the tournament but he's really stepped it up in recent games, a proper winger who can frustrate but really thrilled tonight in particular.

Italian football has for years held a special place in many peoples' hearts. It's great to see the demise that has been predicted for years has turned out to be bullshit. Also well done to Mancini who, after an underwhelming five years or so in management, has turned a rock bottom national team into European champions in 3 years, playing some of the most entertaining major tournament football I've seen in the process.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

Harry Kane didn't have a touch in the Italian box all night. Not one. That's mental.

Kane epitomises the English press perfectly. He is lauded but is limited in his gameplay.

Just now, Ric said:

I'll be honest here, as a Scot we shouldn't celebrate the failure of England. As an ardent nationalist, the anti-English vibe is unhelpful and somewhat parochial. That said, it's with no relief that Italy won.

😂 f**k off. It’s a game of fucking fitba ya nonce.

21 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Did England have a shot on target after their goal, scored in the 2nd minute of a cup final being played at home, their first in 55 years, that went for a full 120 minutes?

The stats suggest they had 1.

Adding up the minutes played this equals 1 shot on target in the 133 minutes following their goal.

Woeful really.

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

😂 f**k off. It’s a game of fucking fitba ya nonce.

Fighting talk, eh? :P

We shouldn't revel in an English defeat, we've been doing that since 1314... instead we should get behind a (possible) Scottish victory!

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:
20 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Probably a discussion for another day .. but Southgate played Kane so deep it was strange .. all the "experts" saying he was out of form but not seeing he was the top of the diamond/midfield/whatever .. he only ever got into the box when he fed a player wide and continued his run into the box .. where he scored four times.

Otherwise he was just in the midfield mix and wasted.

Nah, f**k them. They treat us with utter contempt so I will take a massive amount of pleasure in watching their hearts being broken yet again. It nourishes me.