What’s the craziest decision your club has ever made?

Obviously not Anelka or DGW levels, but getting in to a Championship title race with the Pars and dropping Dave McGurn for key games was baffling.

14 minutes ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Under Locke there were a few good moments: 

Coming back from 2 down to get a draw away to Dundee Utd. 

Four points in the first two Fife derbies.

Taking Hearts to extra time in the cup replay.

Draws home and away v Hibs.

Not defending him as it was a dark time but Yogi was far worse imo. Joyless stuff and an absolute p***k too.

Aye, there was also the 4-2 win away to Falkirk. Funny when you think back to that season and remembering we had pea-hearted shitebags like Chris Johnston and Scott Roberts playing. f**k knows how Jordan Thompson ended up an international.

The whole sorry saga of selling Broomfield before we had even secured planning permission for a new stadium.  Looking back, the board were either naive, stupid or both.  They could see that St Johnstone had provided the blueprint for how to do it right, but blundered on and demonstrated how to absolutely do it wrong

Raith had a fantastic start to the 2016/17 season, which effectively stopped automatic relegation. Were Raith not top after the first 8 games or so? 

I had no doubt in my mind after the last 2 derbies that they were going down that season. They were absolutely fucking honking. And we done the exact same a mare 5 years later in appointing the balloon Hughes. 

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

Raith had a fantastic start to the 2016/17 season, which effectively stopped automatic relegation. Were Raith not top after the first 8 games or so? 

I had no doubt in my mind after the last 2 derbies that they were going down that season. They were absolutely fucking honking. And we done the exact same a mare 5 years later in appointing the balloon Hughes. 

Top for the first 3 games,  then the rot set in.

Agreeing to league reconstruction in the mid 80s to save Motherwell who were yoyoing at the time from having to go P/T, this and a following reconstruction to save Hibs* a few seasons later eventually led to a situation where we were the team cast into the wilderness or First Division as it was called at the time.

*After relegation was suspended in 90/91 when Hibs were considered relegation certainties with bankruptcy to follow we went on a long winless run to snatch bottom spot off them, a truly Saintslike achievement.

Edited by btb

Sacking Jim Leishman in 1990 an replacing him with Iain Munro. Losing about 30% of our support in the process.

The Peter Grant appointment has to be up there too. Another incredible act of self harm.

Edited by Chubbychops

5 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Sacking Jim Leishman in 1990 an replacing him with Iain Munro. Losing about 30% of our support in the process.

The Peter Grant appointment has to be up there too. Another uncredible act of self harm.

The Peter Grant one was bizarre. I think sometimes within football clubs there's very much a 'don't back down - double down' when people in boardrooms view supporters. Everyone could see that Grant was a disaster waiting to happen. You could tell he was in trouble when he was coming out with stuff about not putting in a CV and going off on rants in the press about tactics. The longer it went on, the more your board seemed insistent he needed to stay. 

33 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

The Peter Grant one was bizarre. I think sometimes within football clubs there's very much a 'don't back down - double down' when people in boardrooms view supporters. Everyone could see that Grant was a disaster waiting to happen. You could tell he was in trouble when he was coming out with stuff about not putting in a CV and going off on rants in the press about tactics. The longer it went on, the more your board seemed insistent he needed to stay. 

Oh there was definitely an element of sit down we know better from the board.   There was a couple of incidents against Ross MacArthur that were unpleasant which may have slightly triggered that but from a fans point of view it felt like they used the actions of a handful of individuals to completely ignore anyone who was trying to get them to do the right thing by the club and admit the mistake in hiring him.

1 hour ago, Chubbychops said:

I had a “Bring Back Leishman” T-shirt. Proper end of an era stuff like The Stones at Altamont.

Didn't take long to go from averaging 13k down to 4k.

37 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Mind the statement after the Queen of the South game?

Walked off the pitch past the support with the body language of someone that absolutely knows he shouldn’t be there, but remained for a few more games. 

Don’t think it mattered when he went tbh, that season had doom written all over it. 

9 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I had a “Bring Back Leishman” T-shirt. Proper end of an era stuff like The Stones at Altamont.

Didn't take long to go from averaging 13k down to 4k.

I went to the protest march from the High Street to behind the North East stand. Stuart Adamson did a rousing speech demanding continued action until Jim was reinstated. Took another 15 years and lots of missing fans before it happened.

Edited by Chubbychops

2 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Top for the first 3 games,  then the rot set in.

No idea why I had it in my head that it was for a good wee while, but I can remember getting smashed off Raith early in the season and I knew it’d be a long one for us. Actually turned out alright and we were unlucky not to get top 4 in the end, but it was such a terrible start to the season that anything but bottom 2 was a real win for us. 

1 minute ago, Chubbychops said:

I went to the protest march from the High Street to behind the North East stand. Stuart Adamson did a rousing speech demaining continued action until Jim was re-instated. Took another 15 years and lots of missing fans before it happened.

My father is adamant we were on to being the ultimate club in that area (ie no Hearts, Hibs fans (or very little anyway) in Fife and continue to push for Europe every season and trophies)