Fermers v Dundee United FC 22/08/21

Good to see Pawlett getting sent packing for once for his ridiculous swan diving. It looked like he would've won the free-kick if he'd just fallen naturally instead of his usual theatrics. 

WTF is wrong with the cheating p***k?

Good to see Pawlett getting sent packing for once for his ridiculous swan diving. It looked like he would've won the free-kick if he'd just fallen naturally instead of his usual theatrics. 

One of those where I think Davidson could have just clipped him but it’s still a ridiculous dive. Under current rules probably not a booking but I’d like to see refs starting to punish players when they so blatantly make a meal of it when there’s a tiny touch (if any) like that.

Maybe we could start to see refs give the team a free kick for the slight contact but book the player for the swan dive anyway?

On another note, keeping the rule that sees players get booked for celebrating with the fans after two years of a global pandemic is a bit shite isn’t it. Part of football’s weird aversion to fun, don’t understand where the danger is in letting a player celebrate a big goal by getting cuddled by a handful of away fans.. weird rule. Same goes for taking off their shirt, what harm does that do to anyone?

4 hours ago, tree house tam said:

We all said if he needed time to rebuild his career he'd get that at Saints, has that time now expired?

Have Saints outgrown him or is it just that he's neding to find his level again? I think it may be a bit of both. He doesn't represent good value for Saints, that can't go on but neither did Kane for so many years and it's worked out semi ok.

It maybe has.  But I think if we're going to play him we have to make use of his strengths.  He's not quick to get in behind, or particularly potent in the box anymore, he doesn't challenge or win headers. But he is still an intelligent player with a decent touch and vision.  

Wouldn't it have made far more sense for him to be playing in the role of the forward behind the front two yesterday?  Middleton looked lost in there and had one of his poorest games, whereas I think May might have made better use of that space whilst Middleton's pace was better used to get on flick ons by Rooney and Kane and to give a threat in behind.

For all the brilliant turnaround in Chris Kane and several other under Callum, you could argue May and Hendry are two that have regressed.  

Maybe just a case of certain players suiting certain systems better.

1 hour ago, Steve McQueen said:

I was a bit surprised the crowd was so low. Certainly felt busier in the east stand but hard to tell from within. Main stand home section was viably much fuller than normal.

I thought the East Stand was clearly far, far busier than it usually would be for a normal league game and as you say, the Main was also clearly much busier than normal.

I think the area of the Main Stand the United fans were in was slightly smaller than normal so maybe only about 2200-2500 United fans in total? That would mean 3200-3500 Saints fans which is quite a bit more than we were getting pre-pandemic.

As far as the game goes I thought we were fine in the first half. For all that's been said about May, I felt he was making good runs to stretch United down our right and it was clear that's where we were going to get the most joy in the early period. Twice in the game he takes up excellent positions in the centre and is picked out from the right - but he misses his header in the first half and has his shot well blocked in the second. I always feel like he still has something to offer - I'm just not entirely sure what it is now. The less said about Hendry the better.

The second half just wasn't good enough though - and I guess we have to hope there was an element of players playing well within themselves with Thursday in mind. We definitely missed Gordon in the middle - not just for his defensive organisation but for the fact it takes Kerr out as an attacking overload option down the right. Some of our decision making when we were chasing the game was baffling - e.g loading the box for a long through then taking it short and losing the ball, or Craig trying to play a narrow ball down the line for Hendry that went straight out the park in injury time when it clearly just needed thrown into the box.

Pawlett's dive looked very much like him making the absolute most of whatever minimal contact there was, if any. It is just a natural reaction for him and always has been.  His reputation precedes him. I'm not a fan of players being booked for going into the crowd, but to be fair, having had that yellow he should have been off the park for cleaning out Booth almost immediately after. That was a total bottle job by Don Robertson, who was pretty pish all round throughout really.

A pretty crap result all in all that hasn't helped us in any sense for the coming week.

12 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I thought the East Stand was clearly far, far busier than it usually would be for a normal league game and as you say, the Main was also clearly much busier than normal.

I think the area of the Main Stand the United fans were in was slightly smaller than normal so maybe only about 2200-2500 United fans in total? That would mean 3200-3500 Saints fans which is quite a bit more than we were getting pre-pandemic.

As far as the game goes I thought we were fine in the first half. For all that's been said about May, I felt he was making good runs to stretch United down our right and it was clear that's where we were going to get the most joy in the early period. Twice in the game he takes up excellent positions in the centre and is picked out from the right - but he misses his header in the first half and has his shot well blocked in the second. I always feel like he still has something to offer - I'm just not entirely sure what it is now. The less said about Hendry the better.

The second half just wasn't good enough though - and I guess we have to hope there was an element of players playing well within themselves with Thursday in mind. We definitely missed Gordon in the middle - not just for his defensive organisation but for the fact it takes Kerr out as an attacking overload option down the right. Some of our decision making when we were chasing the game was baffling - e.g loading the box for a long through then taking it short and losing the ball, or Craig trying to play a narrow ball down the line for Hendry that went straight out the park in injury time when it clearly just needed thrown into the box.

Pawlett's dive looked very much like him making the absolute most of whatever minimal contact there was, if any. It is just a natural reaction for him and always has been.  His reputation precedes him. I'm not a fan of players being booked for going into the crowd, but to be fair, having had that yellow he should have been off the park for cleaning out Booth almost immediately after. That was a total bottle job by Don Robertson, who was pretty pish all round throughout really.

A pretty crap result all in all that hasn't helped us in any sense for the coming week.

Correct, was about 2,600 United supporters

Edited by double deluxe

2 hours ago, Dee Man said:

He's a good fit for Utd though...

Dont want to get into a crowd w**k argument but surely Saints should be getting more than 3000 of their supporters at a home game? I know they dont have the biggest fanbase in the world but they have just won the double ffs. If people wont come to watch them after that, what chance have they got

11 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Dont want to get into a crowd w**k argument but surely Saints should be getting more than 3000 of their supporters at a home game? I know they dont have the biggest fanbase in the world but they have just won the double ffs. If people wont come to watch them after that, what chance have they got

9100 at home to Galatasary 2 weeks ago, all home support.

Don’t like to be blunt, but you lot just aren’t a draw these days after establishing yourselves for so long as a championship side.

7 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Don’t like to be blunt, but you lot just aren’t a draw these days after establishing yourselves for so long as a championship side.

We were still pulling 5000+ in the Championship mate. And you kinda made my point for me, 9100 for a european game but just a third of them turning up for the bread and butter

15 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Maybe you don’t realise it but that just reaffirms your place as a wee Fermer team.  See if you can work out why.

33 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Lucky you pointed this out, I had zero idea why we had a shitey home support. 

Currently re-evaluating my entire life upon this incredible news.

Edited by RandomGuy.

13 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

We were still pulling 5000+ in the Championship mate. And you kinda made my point for me, 9100 for a european game but just a third of them turning up for the bread and butter

£25 to watch Utd or hopefully see Saints make history, not everyone is an Angus landowner 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Lucky you pointed this out, I had zero idea why we had a shitey home support. 

Currently re-evaluating my entire life upon this incredible news.

I’ll save you the time.

It’s shit.  It will always be shit.

HTH.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

I’ll save you the time.

It’s shit.  It will always be shit.

HTH.

At least I've got time on my side to try and improve it, auld one.

Which brings us into, what actually constitutes a decent life?

For years i would've said reproduction but with us fucking the planet I'm not so sure. Your sole purpose is to reproduce, although having seen a wee bit of how we have evolved, it's planted that seed of doubt. Materialistic shite means f**k all, memories are to be cherished but by only a few generations. f**k knows lads, f**k knows. All I know is I've made a dent in the reproduction side of things so if you want to blame c***s for the state of the planet, blame me. Peace be with you brothers.