Your Shopping Trolley

Dee Man

Your Shopping Trolley  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Arthur daley said:

Didn’t know it was called a “corral” and don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone call it that before either . 

The inherent difficulty in two counties separated by a “common” language. Here it’s a “Cart Corral” for the alliteration…your mileage and name may vary…trolley area, point, and bay have already been referenced.

(Next up, the Oxford comma)

Edited by TxRover

46 minutes ago, TxRover said:

The inherent difficulty in two counties separated by a “common” language. Here it’s a “Cart Corral” for the alliteration…your mileage and name may vary…trolley area, point, and bay have already been referenced.

(Next up, the Oxford comma)

The uk manufactures/installers refer to them as corrals Aswell ,had just never heard them called that  before .  

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

So I looked around a bit and found a dearth of studies on this matter, which seems well suited to some nosy c**t camping out on the roof of an Asda or such, and watching people for days on end. Would be interesting to study based upon affluence of surrounding neighborhood, gender, rough age and vehicle type/model.

However, Scientific American had a couple of posts in this:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/anthropology-in-practice/why-dont-people-return-their-shopping-carts/

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/anthropology-in-practice/follow-up-the-reasons-people-dont-return-their-shopping-carts/#

The enjoyable responses are the ones where people try to explain how they are keeping people working by not returning their cart/trolley…lazy b*****ds!

Does your Tx stand for Texas? Texans take it particularly badly when they are asked to return their trolley and offered a shaming bumper magnet. Pulling a gun seems a slightly excessive reaction IMO.

https://youtu.be/h8d_XYd1dac

8 hours ago, The Moonster said:

All polls should be public. There's no point in designing a thread to out the arseholes when you can't see who the arseholes are. 

Apologies but the moderation actions don't allow this option. 

14 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Does your Tx stand for Texas? Texans take it particularly badly when they are asked to return their trolley and offered a shaming bumper magnet. Pulling a gun seems a slightly excessive reaction IMO.

https://youtu.be/h8d_XYd1dac

That’s a pretty mild reaction to an idiot that’s gonna get beaten up (not that I think that’s correct, but…). There is a nasty streak of FU running through the Bible Belt (roughly Texas to Georgia) these days, seriously amplified since around 2008. I suspect things will escalate until the new demographic reality settles in, and the morons move to Idaho (or wherever is designated the new “Redoubt” by then).

I would expect a similar reaction from people in most states these days though. To be fair, hIs response was pretty average (if you exclude the loading a round in the chamber) for anyone if you suggested putting anything on their vehicle over here. This is pretty much a result of hysterical (rightwing) media coverage of “increasing crime” and the passage of laws allowing the use of a weapon if you even feel threatened.

The guy in the video could likely have been shot by the driver without any real chance of charges being filed because the driver would simply say he felt threatened when the flashlight was pointed at him because he couldn’t tell what else was under the orange shroud. Worst case the matter would be referred to a Grand Jury, and the District Attorney would likely recommend a no bill result.

1 minute ago, Arthur daley said:

Is that a common name for it in the uk and I’ve just never heard it called that before ? 

No, that was my very lame attempt at a joke about a place that had a famous gunfight. 

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

That’s a pretty mild reaction to an idiot that’s gonna get beaten up (not that I think that’s correct, but…). There is a nasty streak of FU running through the Bible Belt (roughly Texas to Georgia) these days, seriously amplified since around 2008. I suspect things will escalate until the new demographic reality settles in, and the morons move to Idaho (or wherever is designated the new “Redoubt” by then).

I would expect a similar reaction from people in most states these days though. To be fair, hIs response was pretty average (if you exclude the loading a round in the chamber) for anyone if you suggested putting anything on their vehicle over here. This is pretty much a result of hysterical (rightwing) media coverage of “increasing crime” and the passage of laws allowing the use of a weapon if you even feel threatened.

The guy in the video could likely have been shot by the driver without any real chance of charges being filed because the driver would simply say he felt threatened when the flashlight was pointed at him because he couldn’t tell what else was under the orange shroud. Worst case the matter would be referred to a Grand Jury, and the District Attorney would likely recommend a no bill result.

Those first five words some up all that is wrong with America IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Arthur daley said:

Is that a common name for it in the uk and I’ve just never heard it called that before ? 

Interesting question. Trying to look it up I found a site suggesting that trolleys are also know a as “barrae” or “coohudder” in Scotland. Your mileage may vary.

38 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Interesting question. Trying to look it up I found a site suggesting that trolleys are also know a as “barrae” or “coohudder” in Scotland. Your mileage may vary.

I had actually saw that myself while I  googled earlier,have never heard them called that either but  .