Promising "Young" Talent

Simon Dawkins was a weird one. At Spurs, released from his contract, couldn't get a contract anywhere for a coupla years due to injury, re-signed by Spurs and kept there til he was 27

Simon Dawkins - Wikipedia

Don't think he ever played a first team game and only got on the bench once

Some of these Chelsea rent-a-players will probably have had better careers doing what they've done rather then permanently drop down the divisions/clubs and end up at Barnet when they're 24. Chelsea player for x years status, decent money, get to play for clubs they wouldn't normally get near on a permanent deal and see some of Europe while you're at it. Life as a effectively an agency player's not all bad which is probably why they've signed on again at Chelsea a couple of times.

• 1 month later...

Just noticed that Patrick Roberts, who was massively hyped for a time while at loan at Celtic has finally left Man City and joined Sunderland towards the end of last month.

From what I can see he made 3 substitute appearances for Man City alongside his various loan deals. Now at the age of 25, when you'd think he would be at his peak he is now in League One in England.

• 4 months later...

The summer is upon on so there is a glut of new free agents looking for clubs.

One name caught my eye that was Charly Musonda. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charly_Musonda_(footballer,_born_1996)

I remember when Celtic signed him there was a bit of hype that he was going to be something special before doing the square root of f**k all.

It would see he actually hasn't played any first team games since August 2019 and now at the age of 25 hasn't got a lot to show for it on his CV but I'm sure his bank account is pretty healthy. 

Changing subject a bit but does anyone else remember a poster on here who was obsessed with some young Scottish player who was playing in the college leagues in America and went on about him constantly? Seem to remember the player himself getting in contact with the moderators to say he had no idea who the poster was.

Changing subject a bit but does anyone else remember a poster on here who was obsessed with some young Scottish player who was playing in the college leagues in America and went on about him constantly? Seem to remember the player himself getting in contact with the moderators to say he had no idea who the poster was.
Was that the same guy who went on about Harry Souttar as if he was the second coming of Maldini?

16 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
3 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Was that the same guy who went on about Harry Souttar as if he was the second coming of Maldini?

Not sure but I'm sure this guy went round different club's fans forums trying to get a move for this guy as well and he didn't even know him.

I remember it but can't remember the name of the player.

• 9 months later...

I noticed Mariano Díaz on the bench for Real Madrid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariano_Díaz

He is a player that I find interesting as he is a 29 year old striker playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world and has practically spent his entire senior career at Real but the vast majority of football fans wouldn't recognise his name or give him a second glance if they walked past him.

According to Soccerway he has played 9221 minutes of league football in his career over 13 seasons.  Remarkably 86% of those minutes came in just 3 seasons - 2013/14 with Real Madrid C, 2015/16 with Real Madrid B and 2017/18 with Lyon.

https://uk.soccerway.com/players/-/206423/

He is very close in age to Harry Kane. Harry Kane has played lots of games and scored lots more goals but its amusing to see Diaz with a trophy haul that eclipses the 0 earned by Harry so far.

I don't know whether to lament someone like Diaz for apparently wasting his time warming the bench at a club like Real when he could have forged a decent career in terms of playing time/goals at clubs like Lyon or applaud him for earning a decent wage and collecting a fairly healthy medal count for a relatively small effort.

39 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

He is a player that I find interesting as he is a 29 year old striker playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world and has practically spent his entire senior career at Real but the vast majority of football fans wouldn't recognise his name or give him a second glance if they walked past him.

According to Soccerway he has played 9221 minutes of league football in his career over 13 seasons.  Remarkably 86% of those minutes came in just 3 seasons - 2013/14 with Real Madrid C, 2015/16 with Real Madrid B and 2017/18 with Lyon.

He is very close in age to Harry Kane. Harry Kane has played lots of games and scored lots more goals but its amusing to see Diaz with a trophy haul that eclipses the 0 earned by Harry so far.

I don't know whether to lament someone like Diaz for apparently wasting his time warming the bench at a club like Real when he could have forged a decent career in terms of playing time/goals at clubs like Lyon or applaud him for earning a decent wage and collecting a fairly healthy medal count for a relatively small effort.

He has a goal per game strike rate at international level.

Great player IMO. 

It’s a bit like singles and doubles in tennis, some players maybe more suited to the temperament of being valuable squad players at big clubs and others will be desperate to be playing every game. No right or wrong way. Plenty of excellent goalkeepers are happy to stay as deputies.

He is also, you would imagine, quite settled where he is. Most people in most industries don’t have to / want to move far from home and some footballers will crave similar, Callum McGregor maybe in this boat too.

1 hour ago, NorthernLights said:

I think he is going to become a pointless legend ! I can honesty say I have never heard of him but he cant be too rubbish he has played at Lyon and RM.