South of Scotland League general chat

8 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

While I'm sure this might be a genuine attempt to start the ball rolling on entering the pyramid. 

I'm cynical enough to say they're applying to the South so early & publicly for the crumb of attention it will garner. 

I was speaking to a guy who plays with them and he made it sound like the SOSL wanted them to join as much as they wanted to join themself 

6 hours ago, Pollok mad said:

I was speaking to a guy who plays with them and he made it sound like the SOSL wanted them to join as much as they wanted to join themself 

Don't doubt it. They were happy to take on Caley Braves reserve side after all and the year the WoSFL was formed made sure to mention they have teams in Glasgow & the South of Scotland.

This highlights in big shiny neon lights why the anomaly of the WOS and SOS covering the same geographical area needs sorting now.

I remember when West was set up the boundaries were clearly defined between East and West, where SOS not involved.

How is it credible that a newly registered senior team can go straight in at Tier 6. 

Our pyramid system is not well, the Leagues need to sit down and sort out the South.

I watch South teams and there is no way any of them are Tier 6 quality.

Not even close.

#getirsorted

3 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

I remember when West was set up the boundaries were clearly defined between East and West,

Didn't happen until the following season when the West were getting all those West Lothian junior applications.

Don't see anyone kicking up a fuss on this unless the WoSFL members chase it up with their board. The South needs clubs to keep going. The West took in Threave Rovers so don't really have a leg to stand on to object.

I can't disagree with the comments made here.

However, if this league is to continue to provide senior football in the south west of Scotland, at whatever Tier, then it needs to be open to having some clubs/teams from further north or east.

Maybe it would be a good route into senior football for a few amateur clubs which have medium to long term aims to play in the WoS or even the EoS but don't yet meet the requirements/facilities for these more competive leagues. It's the sort of league which would get them used to additional travel and standards which, maybe, they won't find in their current amateur set-ups.

Thinking maybe clubs like Strathaven Dynamo etc.

Don't mean to come across as anti SOS, I fully applaud what Threave have done. They are looking at it long term and see their future as a viable and competitive club in the WOS.

I am an idealist and would love to see a fully functioning non league system.

There is a buzz around the WOS these days including the introduction of the new teams in Division 4.

The SOS is basically a D&G League. The way the pyreamid was set up at the beginning was not a problem of their making as has been well documented.

But now the West is properly represented, this anomaly needs to be addressed. Should have happened at the start of the WOS, but we are where we are.

Also as long as this anomaly exists it causes a problem for the LL in terms of promotion. It would be much simpler for them to vote in a 2 up 2 down if there were 2xleagues beneath them. Not this 2 and a bit.

This nonsense from Wellington lays bare the problem, Threave drop down from 6 to 10, they would have had a strong case for being entered at 6 in the WOS, whereas any new team can leapfrog the system legally by joining the SOS.

The league's involved need to sit down like adults and sort this out.