SPFL Review

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Why would i be worried about St Johnstone? We've more money than any of these clubs and would survive in a 10 team division regularly.

I'm more worried about them cutting out promotion for clubs in the Championship + completely shutting the door to the tiers further down.

Have St Johnstone not spent just under half of their lifetime in the lower tiers ?

And how are those 5 clubs going to do that exactly ? These things require the votes of more than 5 clubs do they not ?

Just now, Chefki Kuqi said:

You are right to point to this being something they might want to do, but I just can't see the scenario whereby any proposal of this nature has enough support to be pushed through.

Well exactly. This whole thing will be a giant waste of time, and yet another missed opportunity for change, as yet again the "big clubs" will turn this into a "what would benefit us most" exercise. 

Just now, Namond Brice said:

Have St Johnstone not spent just under half of their lifetime in the lower tiers ?

Aye, when looking at whats going to happen in the next 10 years, the best place to start is looking at the 1890-1900 seasons 😂

We've been in the top flight non-stop for over a decade, and have only spent 7 of the last 24, soon to be 25, years in the 2nd tier.

Hibs have had the same amount of relegations as us in that timeframe.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Well exactly. This whole thing will be a giant waste of time, and yet another missed opportunity for change, as yet again the "big clubs" will turn this into a "what would benefit us most" exercise. 

In fairness I don't particularly have my hopes up for anything concrete and beneficial to come of this either, given past experiences of these types of initiatives. Albeit I do hope that as part of a longer term process of discussing the game in Scotland it can at-least contribute something valuable, either in the form of revealing there to be dead-ends or actually suggesting something useful. 

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Yes. Certain clubs wanted to take less money with a reliable distributor.

Others wanted to take more money from an unreliable distributor. 

For the life of me I can't remember how it played out.

The first Setanta TV deal ran to completion and netted the SPL twice the money compared to what SKy offered

hth

6 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Ach leave him be. It was around that time he was also saying Kerr would go for near £3m (sold for £500k), Wotherspoons time was up (was his clawing at his hole 6 months later) and that Hendry was going to be shit hot (binned and shite). 

Still a fair distance behind him having a hissy fit because nobody at the club would answer his emails where he was telling them who they should sign. 

Shine bright like a diamond. 

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Aye, when looking at whats going to happen in the next 10 years, the best place to start is looking at the 1890-1900 seasons 😂

We've been in the top flight non-stop for over a decade, and have only spent 7 of the last 24, soon to be 25, years in the 2nd tier.

Hibs have had the same amount of relegations as us in that timeframe.

This is a lovely story pal, but you've still not explained the process whereby Ron Gordon names himself SPFL God Emperor and sets up a 6 team franchise league with no relegation and forces everyone else to be part time diddies.

It really is no surprise to see the cynicism from diddy club supporters such as St Johnstone and Kilmarnock.

Fans of these clubs are happy with the status quo and live in backward waters where any sign of progress is treated like it'sa bad thing.

I can only speak from Dundee's point of view, but Nelms has previously been for a larger league (including when we were in the top flight last time round) but his concerns have always been more about the marketing of the league and the shite brand of the SPFL we have now. There is no USP other than us trying to show that we are a shite, cheap knock off of the English leagues so that'll be the angle we are coming at it from.

The diddy clubs affronted by not being involved will of course, once again stifle any real chance of progress. Celtic, Rangers, St Johnstone & Kilmarnock... one and the same.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Why would i be worried about St Johnstone? We've more money than any of these clubs and would survive in a 10 team division regularly.

I'm more worried about them cutting out promotion for clubs in the Championship + completely shutting the door to the tiers further down.

For someone who's is so relaxed, you seem to have run out of toys to chuck out the pram on this.

Also, if they were proposing such a catastrophic outcome as you suggest, don't you think the leaders of these clubs would know that it would never survive an SPFL vote?

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I can only speak from Dundee's point of view, but Nelms has previously been for a larger league (including when we were in the top flight last time round) but his concerns have always been more about the marketing of the league and the shite brand of the SPFL we have now.

Nelms is the only one of those involved who seems to genuinely not want it all to be about himself.

My fears lie with Aberdeen, who are desperate to try and cement this "third force" position, and the Edinburgh clubs who have both openly talked about their desire to get rid of part time sides. No idea about Ogren at United.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Genuinely the most pathetic post I've ever seen on this site 😂

Fuckin hell, with mine last night and this one tonight, you are fair hitting the limits of your post reading.

Settle down, I'm sure big Nelmsy will let you keep a tractor.

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

don't you think the leaders of these clubs would know that it would never survive an SPFL vote?

Do you not remember the farce of the SPFL creating a "taskforce" last Summer, which came up with a multitude of ridiculous ideas all centred around keeping Hearts in the top flight, only for every single suggestion to be laughed out of the room before it even reached an official vote?

These types of meeting have a low success rate because they're generally always focussed on the benefit of the few.

Just now, johnnydun said:

Fuckin hell, with mine last night and this one tonight, you are fair hitting the limits of your post reading.

Settle down, I'm sure big Nelmsy will let you keep a tractor.

I mean, yours was about not taking the vaccine because its only vaccinated people infecting others. You can't understand why I laughed at it.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Nelms is the only one of those involved who seems to genuinely not want it all to be about himself.

My fears lie with Aberdeen, who are desperate to try and cement this "third force" position, and the Edinburgh clubs who have both openly talked about their desire to get rid of part time sides. No idea about Ogren at United.

Aberdeen are desperate to try and cement this third force position by getting in to bed with the majority of teams they'd potentially be competing with.

Have a night off mate.