Insulate Britain

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

It's worth noting that the new laws under which they have been jailed were dreamed up by a Tory think tank which was funded by.............you guessed it, oil companies.

Fucked around and found out. Zero sympathy for these yuppies. Hopefully applied consistently and more get flung in jail.

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

Otherwise known as a completely normal day on the M25.

No doubt these people are insufferable in real life but the sentencing is outrageous.

Screenshot_20240718_214242_Chrome.jpg

Imagine, for a second, that you are one of the people missing cancer treatment, or seeing a loved one for one last time, or missing an exam, because of these people.

This wasn't someone standing outside a building holding a placard. This affected real people in tangible ways. 

I was very much against the overbearing authoritarian nature of the state, restricting people's freedoms during lockdown, however I simply love the overbearing authoritarian nature of the state restricting people's freedoms and locking up non violent protesters for 5 years and I hope they do it more.

No doubt blocking the M25 isn't on, but the sentences are way out of proportion to other crimes.

The banning of them mentioning climate change in their defence also seems a bit bonkers.

15 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Imagine, for a second, that you are one of the people missing cancer treatment, or seeing a loved one for one last time, or missing an exam, because of these people.

This wasn't someone standing outside a building holding a placard. This affected real people in tangible ways. 

These things happen every day because of traffic jams or road works.

Would a speeding driver who causes a single vehicle crash be jailed for 5 years if they cause traffic delays or a policeman to fall off his bike?

Still if you think it would change your mind on the matter I'll make a placard.

27 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Like the train and junior doctor strikes and the Covid years then.

58 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

You can't lock up nice respectable middle class people. 

3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Excellent

£40,000 a year a person. Ridiculous waste of time and money and resources whilst the prison population spirals out of control.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

£40,000 a year a person. Ridiculous waste of time and money and resources whilst the prison population spirals out of control.

It's not a waste of time and money to punish criminals, though, or we'd just not have prisons.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

It's not a waste of time and money to punish criminals, though, or we'd just not have prisons.

Depends what you want a prison for… 

I’d prefer them to keep the rest of us safe. This is performative justice. These people are a danger to no one.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Depends what you want a prison for… 

I’d prefer them to keep the rest of us safe. This is performative justice. These people are a danger to no one.

I disagree in this instance. This isn't someone throwing orange powder over a snooker table (as annoying as that was).

Jamming up the roads affects emergency services too. Plus, as said above, how regular folk are severely affected.

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

I was very much against the overbearing authoritarian nature of the state, restricting people's freedoms during lockdown, however I simply love the overbearing authoritarian nature of the state restricting people's freedoms and locking up non violent protesters for 5 years and I hope they do it more.

The forum Libertarians showing their arses when the state clamps down on causes they aren't keen on.

Just now, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The forum Libertarians showing their arses when the state clamps down on causes they aren't keen on.

It isn't the cause under discussion but the actions.

I'm no libertarian. But people were harmed by these actions (plural)