Insulate Britain

2 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I have almost exclusively done these jobs until approx a year ago, yes. And if I were unable to attend my work due to forces outside my control, just as with sickness I would expect (in a better, more rational world) to be either paid or given an opportunity to make back those hours. Swing and a miss champ, hope you're filling up those bottles of piss! 

Swing and miss? Deary me. 

You would expect - so never happened. 

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

Aye.

There’s a lot of “middle class with a cushy job” presumptions getting floated about here.

That's very generous. I'm more along the 'haven't a fuckin clue' train of thought.

Quite amusing really. Be a different story quick enough if it was them that couldn't be getting to work because of some meaningless protest by a load of shitcunts :lol:

Starting the clock :)

2 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

fire.jpg.df925829835c2b94aabd6f899c63ea79.jpg

President Kennedy said no news picture ever caused as much emotion around the world and it ultimately led to the US overthrowing the oppressive Vietnamese government. Which worked out well. 

In what bizarre alternative universe is that an example of a protest that didn't 'disrupt society'? The guy was driven from the other side of the country, chose one of Saigon's busiest streets to carry out the act, and had a bunch of followers protesting at the sane time as he was setting himself on fucking fire on a public highway. 

22 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Aye.

There’s a lot of “middle class with a cushy job” presumptions getting floated about here.

Not as many as the 'people are missing work!/not able to feed their kids!/can't get an ambulance to hospital' presumptions* because one road is blocked on an entire network by a protest group. 

* also known as 'bullshit'.

3 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Being middle class is when you don’t think you should run people over and/or physically assault them in various ways because they were standing on a road. Good note.

(Disclaimer: I definitely am middle class, but can’t speak for anyone else) 

It’s possible to not want these people to be run over, and to sympathise with the cause, and to also point out that someone who thinks that everyone who does shift work gets paid when they can’t get to their work isn’t quite living in reality.

It’s not mutually exclusive.

People who endorse vigilintism should be vetted for participation in it by being followed around for a week, and if at any point they do something that someone else dislikes or is inconvenienced by, they should be beaten mercilessly.

Only then will they understand why claiming its ok to assault someone in a very narrow, very specific instance is the mark of a complete and utter moron.

2 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

fire.jpg.df925829835c2b94aabd6f899c63ea79.jpg

President Kennedy said no news picture ever caused as much emotion around the world and it ultimately led to the US overthrowing the oppressive Vietnamese government. Which worked out well. 

You're aware that this happened on a busy street in the middle of a major city, with various folk helping him and demonstrating around him?

Not to mention that it would have been absolutely traumatic for anyone who saw it, tried to help, or had to 'clean up' after it.

There is literally no way that this is a form of protest that only disrupted the person protesting.

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

You're aware that this happened on a busy street in the middle of a major city, with various folk helping him and demonstrating around him?

Not to mention that it would have been absolutely traumatic for anyone who saw it, tried to help, or had to 'clean up' after it.

There is literally no way that this is a form of protest that only disrupted the person protesting.

Watching someone burn to death is less impactful on your life than getting stuck in traffic for a couple of hours. Or something 

It’s possible to not want these people to be run over, and to sympathise with the cause, and to also point out that someone who thinks that everyone who does shift work gets paid when they can’t get to their work isn’t quite living in reality.
It’s not mutually exclusive.

Has anyone on this thread said that they think people currently get paid when they can't get to their work?

The whole discussion sprung from someone talking about how people's urgency to get to work, and to be willing to assault others in order to get there, is driven from an unhealthy working culture where people aren't paid in this scenario.

10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Has anyone on this thread said that they think people currently get paid when they can't get to their work?

The whole discussion sprung from someone talking about how people's urgency to get to work, and to be willing to assault others in order to get there, is driven from an unhealthy working culture where people aren't paid in this scenario.

It's obviously an excellent idea in theory, but I'm intrigued to know how  it would work in practice.

What would be considered an appropriate reason for delay, and an appropriate length of time? Would the acceptable length of time be based on different scenarios, eg you get 15 mins leeway if your bus is late, but 3 hours if the Kingston Bridge collapses while you are waiting in the queue at J1 of the M77? How many times can you be late before the employer is no longer required to pay statutory late pay?

I realise the way I've worded that might look as if I'm taking the piss - I do actually approve of the principle, but don't currently see how it would work in reality.

It's obviously an excellent idea in theory, but I'm intrigued to know how  it would work in practice.
What would be considered an appropriate reason for delay, and an appropriate length of time? Would the acceptable length of time be based on different scenarios, eg you get 15 mins leeway if your bus is late, but 3 hours if the Kingston Bridge collapses while you are waiting in the queue at J1 of the M77? How many times can you be late before the employer is no longer required to pay statutory late pay?
I realise the way I've worded that might look as if I'm taking the piss - I do actually approve of the principle, but don't currently see how it would work in reality.
A huge number of terms and conditions can be caveated by "discretionary".

49 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Maybe not, but the argument was made in typical pompous P&B fashion so as to completely dismiss the middle ground that, even if you completely agree with the protests, it’s undeniable that you’ll get some poor sods properly impacted by this.

12 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Should've superglued your face to the Dartford Tunnel.

12 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Or just sat down in traffic.

Yous joke but while I find a lot of the IB and ER people to be a lot of weird middle class dweebs I respect them sitting down or even gluing themselves to roads in this country given the average road rage of the psychos on Britain's roads. Especially when those same drivers are being given a lot of tacit encouragement to accelerate when they see protestors by politicians and the media.

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Are all the younger people on here middle class?

I'm willing to wager you are comfortably more well off than the majority of people you're aiming this comment at. 

Anyway, my favourite genre of post is when someone (in this case @Genuine Hibs Fan) makes a fairly uncontroversial statement like "people shouldn't be penalised when they are prevented from coming to work" and you get a whole host of folk demanding a fully-costed White Paper policy plan before invariably settling back to "let's just keep things exactly as they are which is obviously the best we can have it." Great stuff.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

In what bizarre alternative universe is that an example of a protest that didn't 'disrupt society'? The guy was driven from the other side of the country, chose one of Saigon's busiest streets to carry out the act, and had a bunch of followers protesting at the sane time as he was setting himself on fucking fire on a public highway. 

To be fair he seems to have gone up pretty quickly. He could've been brushed away about 10 minutes after that.

Short, sharp protest, point made, we can all get about our business, win, win.

3 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Being middle class is when you don’t think you should run people over and/or physically assault them in various ways because they were standing on a road. Good note.

(Disclaimer: I definitely am middle class, but can’t speak for anyone else) 

You forgot ‘and feeling entitled to be paid even when you didn’t show up for work’.