Euro 2022

Christophe

11 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Just home for the second half of this one. Germans good for their lead?

Got lucky with their first goal - the keeper kicked the ball out to a German player - but 2-0 is pretty fair.

Spain having some decent possession but not strong enough really.

4 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

Comfy night for Germany in the end. Would still expect Spain to qualify but they'll be up against England in the quarters.

Based on last night and tonight's games you'd not put money on Spain progressing.  I'd expect England to get in behind that Spanish defence in a way Germany didn;t tonight.

Cracking second half. I loved the Spanish number 6, but f**k me their right winger was massively frustrating. Slow of thought and anticipation slowing down her team's attacks. The German right CB was excellent though. 

Pearce gets a lot if stick for some reason, but I like him. He does his research, gives good details of players and he takes the time to learn how to pronounce players' names correctly. The latter is absurdly rare and it does my fuckin head in.

Anyway, pleasantly surprised at this tournament. 

10 minutes ago, velo army said:

Anyway, pleasantly surprised at this tournament. 

I think it's a cracking tournament.  The perfect antidote to the 'women's fitba is shite' brigade'.  Sure, the quality is variable as it is always, but the players' attitudes, the crowd, the venues have all been top-notch.

England, France and Germany leading the pack.  Sweden haven't got going yet but i look forward to seeing them vs Switzerland tomorrow.

Oh and special mention to the weather.  Absolutely baking 'down here' so thanks, you northern chaps, for exporting some of your therms.

42 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I think it's a cracking tournament.  The perfect antidote to the 'women's fitba is shite' brigade'.  Sure, the quality is variable as it is always, but the players' attitudes, the crowd, the venues have all been top-notch.

England, France and Germany leading the pack.  Sweden haven't got going yet but i look forward to seeing them vs Switzerland tomorrow.

Oh and special mention to the weather.  Absolutely baking 'down here' so thanks, you northern chaps, for exporting some of your therms.

Aye I reckon already that England and Germany will get to the final. England looked class yesterday. The lassie White is a real handful.

You're right about the attitude of the players. They're all really up for it, but there's no histrionics and the respect they give the referee is almost on a par with rugby. 

I'm definitely one of the "women's fitba is shite" brigade, but that's because I keep comparing it to men's football. It almost feels like a different sport, or a throwback to 1960's football (without the leg-breaking tackles) where things were slower and the goalies looked smaller. So when I just relax and let go of comparison and judge it on it's own merits I thoroughly enjoy it. Tonight's match was enthralling.

8 minutes ago, velo army said:

I'm definitely one of the "women's fitba is shite" brigade, but that's because I keep comparing it to men's football. It almost feels like a different sport

I said this before but I started watching the SWNT and Rangers Women 2 seasons ago.  It took me a while but I got the bug and really enjoy following both teams.  I was gutted when Rangers Women squandered their lead and lost the title 2 seasons ago but loved their 'invincibles' season last term.

But there are levels.  Just like in the men's game.  Rangers scoring 8 vs P Thistle is ok but not really fair sport.  But international women's football is such a step above that it's a different sport within a different sport.

Take from my ramble...that if you accept it on its own terms then you'll enjoy it.  And you seem to be doing that.

It's a good tournament the quality does vary, however the top teams are great to watch Germany, Holland, France and England so far being the best footballing sides. Also the lack of drama and rolling around is so refreshing to see.

My 10 year old daughter has been dipping her toe in the water with football for a while now, the odd Raith game here and there but she's jumped into this with both feet and only missed 2 matches so far. 

51 minutes ago, pub car king said:

My 10 year old daughter has been dipping her toe in the water with football for a while now, the odd Raith game here and there but she's jumped into this with both feet and only missed 2 matches so far. 

Brilliant.  My own lassies are now 20 and 23 and I took them to mini rugby as there was no alternative.  Plus I'm an egg-chaser.

BUT the joy of this tourney is that it's not just for wee lassies in Kirkcaldy but for auld blokes in South Bucks. 

And I have to say they are doing us proud.

Missed the games earlier due to going to watch yet another piss poor Ayr result. Havent seen any highlights yet but it's looking like Spain missing their 2 best players is having a toll. Spain playing England in the next round then? If so I expect England to win fairly comfortably 

Edited by Thereisalight..

8 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I'm enjoying it, too. However, sometimes playing it out from the back isn't the best option.

The African Cup of Nations was the same re quality. 

It's been a really good tournament so far, with really only Spain of the pre-tournament favourites having disappointed a bit. Can't see past an ENgland v Germany final, but from what I saw the other night, if Sweden or the Netherlands hit a good run of form (maybe harder now for the Dutch with Miedema out with Covid) they could definitely make a good go of it. 

6 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

Just in from work so haven’t seen the first half of Sweden vs Switzerland. Guessing I haven’t missed much?

On the pitch, not particularly; Sweden are the better side but the Swiss are defending well and look dangerous on the break.

Off it, my wee girl is there and by all accounts is having a wonderful time at her first football match.