Parking Fine Issue Advice

Ekhibee88

Moved away few months back. Had letters sent on to me. Got a parking fine from eurocarparks from when I parked at a retail park . This was my previous workplace and I shouldn't of been given a fine as I gave my manager my reg details. I think they done this the day after I first started driving to the work place. Because I have only only the letters this week I the details have been passed onto the debt recovery team and cant appeal to eurocarparks. I have evidence of payslips and P45 from my old workplace. Whats the best way to go about this?

To further matters I have now received another letter for a separate parking fine at my flat as my parking permit wasn't showing, its always on the dashboard but may of falling off that day.

Whats the advice, not keen to pay but don't want people chasing me. Also reminds me to update my address details to give to DVLA.

2 minutes ago, Ekhibee88 said:

Moved away few months back. Had letters sent on to me. Got a parking fine from eurocarparks from when I parked at a retail park . This was my previous workplace and I shouldn't of been given a fine as I gave my manager my reg details. I think they done this the day after I first started driving to the work place. Because I have only only the letters this week I the details have been passed onto the debt recovery team and cant appeal to eurocarparks. I have evidence of payslips and P45 from my old workplace. Whats the best way to go about this?

To further matters I have now received another letter for a separate parking fine at my flat as my parking permit wasn't showing, its always on the dashboard but may of falling off that day.

Whats the advice, not keen to pay but don't want people chasing me. Also reminds me to update my address details to give to DVLA.

Don't talk to Eurocarparks or their bailiffs, hold on to your payslips and p45 just in case but 99% they'll give up if you ignore them, unless the charge is for parking there for weeks and they're after thousands. If the flat parking is council you'll have to deal with it, not sure if they'll let you off seeing as you have a permit, but worth giving them a ring. Remember you have to update your address for your license as well as your car separately, I got caught out by that before.

I'd continue ignoring Eurocarparks tbh. 

Do not ignore a council one, though - appeal it or pay it. Sounds like you may have good grounds for an appeal but obviously the outcome is never a certainty. Is the flat one the council or another private parking firm? 

Edited by Michael W

To be pedantic, it is not a fine from Eurocarparks, it is a parking charge. In effect it's them sending you an invoice for something they think you owe them, but they dress it up to make it look and sound like a fine. They call them a PCN, but that stands for "Parking Charge Notice", i'e' a bill. The council will issue a PCN as well, but that's a "Penalty Charge Notice", which is a fine that cannot be ignored.

To clarify, I am not a lawyer 🙂

Edited by Soapy FFC

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Don't talk to Eurocarparks or their bailiffs, hold on to your payslips and p45 just in case but 99% they'll give up if you ignore them, unless the charge is for parking there for weeks and they're after thousands. If the flat parking is council you'll have to deal with it, not sure if they'll let you off seeing as you have a permit, but worth giving them a ring. Remember you have to update your address for your license as well as your car separately, I got caught out by that before.

The flat parking is a private firm. I had a permit to park underneath my flat.  Will see how this pans out.

13 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

To be pedantic, it is not a fine from Eurocarparks, it is a parking charge. In effect it's them sending you an invoice for something they think you owe them, but they dress it up to make it look and sound like a fine. They call them a PCN, but that stands for "Parking Charge Notice", i'e' a bill. The council will issue a PCN as well, but that's a "Penalty Charge Notice", which is a fine that cannot be ignored.

To clarify, I am not a lawyer 🙂

The flat parking is a private firm as its private property. Will appeal.

32 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I'd continue ignoring Eurocarparks tbh. 

Do not ignore a council one, though - appeal it or pay it. Sounds like you may have good grounds for an appeal but obviously the outcome is never a certainty. Is the flat one the council or another private parking firm? 

The flat parking is a private firm. 

1 hour ago, Ekhibee88 said:

Take the bus in future

6 minutes ago, Ekhibee88 said:

The flat parking is a private firm as its private property. Will appeal.

If it was me, I'd ignore. Keep hold of any paperwork etc, but ignore.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/scotland/law-and-courts/parking-tickets/appealing-parking-tickets/parking-tickets-on-private-land-s/

Edited by Soapy FFC

In short, Cooncil or Police - pay it, private companies - fire into the bin. You'll get vaguely threatening pish about bailiffs and damage to your credit record but it's pish. They'll get fed up sending you endless letters after a while, or sell the "debt" to cowboys like Lowell or Cabot who are equally pointless. Don't acknowledge it in any way and it'll be written off after 5 years anyway.

37 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

In short, Cooncil or Police - pay it, private companies - fire into the bin. You'll get vaguely threatening pish about bailiffs and damage to your credit record but it's pish. They'll get fed up sending you endless letters after a while, or sell the "debt" to cowboys like Lowell or Cabot who are equally pointless. Don't acknowledge it in any way and it'll be written off after 5 years anyway.

My experience so far with various members of the family getting these 'fines'

Yep if it’s not council or police it’s an invoice. It has the same legal weight as any invoice from any private company.
I’ve ignored a few over the years and I’m still waiting for my first court summons.

55 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

My experience so far with various members of the family getting these 'fines'

99.9% of the time it's the same. The only instance of someone actually getting done for it I've seen was some total airhead in Dundee who racked up £24,000 in fines because she refused to accept she wasn't allowed to park right outside her parents' place at the waterfront. She went to the papers and turned it into a massive publicity drive, for which presumably the company involved were absolutely delighted that she very publicly stated she was the driver for each offence 😂

Edited by Day of the Lords

Ignore.

Don't respond.

Don't phone.

Put in the bin.

The only people with the power in Scotland to issue parking tickets are local councils.

Even phoning them means you are acknowledging that you are the owner of the car - don't go down the "appeals" route - it's a waste of time.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Ignore.

Don't respond.

Don't phone.

Put in the bin.

The only people with the power in Scotland to issue parking tickets are local councils.

And the Polis. There is such a thing as a Criminalised Parking Fine.

A pedant writes;
If a bailiff came to my house to enforce something I'd tell them to f*ck off.
We have Sheriff Officers in Scotland. Bailiffs are English.
Had one if these threatening to take a CCJ against me.

Considering we don't have County Courts I'd love to see how far they'd get.