Edinburgh city v Forfar Athletic

Guest mr_malcolm

Guest mr_malcolm

First time visiting Spartans ground tonight . No idea what to expect as it looks like we have injuries and “illness” to contend with .

Looks like another cold one so hope the football warms us up as it’s looking like it could all come to a halt anytime soon

Ainslie Park really isn't the best, bring a warm jacket would be my advice.

As for tonight, I've no idea what to expect from City as each week they chip in with a different type of performance, I suppose that's to be expected with the number of absentees. I live in hope that we can keep in touch with the Play offs and some lads get back to fitness ASAP. Even then, the way things have gone, it will be someone else's turn to be out for weeks on end! 🤨

1 hour ago, Bridie Vision said:

Will be an interesting game. We know Thomson and Ness will be out but unsure who else is ruled out. Forfar might line up like this:

McCallum 

Meechan, Munro, S. Anderson, Strachan

McCluskey, Slater, Moore, G. Anderson

Aitken, Shepherd

Looks like Grant Anderson is missing due to injury or illness so Slater is playing out wide, at least according to BBC Sport.

Think 4-0 was harsh on City considering they hit the post twice and missed what was pretty much an open goal, thought we played some really good football and were well worth the win.

We started slow and Edinburgh had the better of it, hitting the post. We were playing too many long balls to Matty who won nothing.

After about 20 minutes we started getting the ball down and passing it, and even when going longer it was more to feet.

Set pieces were the main difference. Would need to see a replay of the first as it was a bit of a mess from a corner with Munro taking the credit. 2nd goal was great from Stef McCluskey who beat his man, drove on and hit a great strike from about 20 yards. 3rd followed shortly after with another excellent corner nodded goalward by Anderson at the back post with a defender knocking it away but it was deemed to have crossed the line, looked over to me. Pretty much game over by half time.

4th right at the start of the 2nd half made sure. Idiotic foul in the corner by the defender when in control. Lovely cross from Strachan and Matty touched it in.

After that we had a few chances on the break, Shep missed 2 decent ones in the last 10 minutes. Before that a poor McCallum clearance knocked back to the edge of the box was somehow put wide and they also hit the post with a free kick.

Thought we played well once we started playing football. Matty started poorly winning little and not reading the game, but he became better when it was played to feet and had a few nice touches. Still looks clumsy at times, would like him to get stuck in more.

Slater is an absolute class act and was really well supported in the middle of the park by Archie Thomas. Good 2nd debut from Moore and no surprise he tired a bit. Crossan had a decent game and Stef was excellent, albeit concerning they both came off injured, hopefully McCluskey was just a precaution.

Back 4 were great. Strachan had a solid game and his set pieces are begging to be put in. We have 3 captains in defence talking and organising, especially Andy Munro, he just doesn't shut up. They control all of their team mates throughout the game and are a huge reason we're hard to beat, such a threat in the opposite box too. McCallum had a couple of good stops and was mostly quiet in the 2nd half, great to get another clean sheet.

As I said, don't think Edinburgh were all that bad, should have scored probably and passed it well enough. They were very shaky dealing with set pieces and really seemed to lack a leader.

Glad to be home in the heat now!

City's free kicks were better tonight than they have been..

Forfar passed the ball about quite nicely, pleasing to watch at times..

The freezing must that appeared on the pitch at times was an interesting phenomenon.

If all the injured players are hooked up to a Lourdes Water drip we might just stave off relegation come April ..

My second Forfar match in a fortnight. I used the word 'streetwise' after the Albion Rovers match and that would seem fairly apt again.

Although Edinburgh started well, Forfar (as was the case v Rovers) are just that bit more clinical and have something extra about them (Better players probably).

1 hour ago, RubyTuesday said:

13 points clear of Cowdenbeath with 19 games to play. City in a relegation battle. Are you serious?

Just channelling the spirit of the great Dave Baxter who would always tell us when we were safe from relegation each season :lol:

6 hours ago, mr_malcolm said:

Any highlights kicking about?

Check out Edinburgh City FB, Twitter or the website. They'll be up in the next 24 hours. 

5 teams from 4th to 8th separated by 4 points, but none of these teams have won in the last 4 matches. I think it'll be an interesting race for 4th. Kelty have bought the league already, Forfar and probably Annan nailed on for the play offs. A must win game for City against Cowden on Wednesday. 

Edited by RubyTuesday

1 hour ago, dipsy said:

Just wondering, whatever happened to Mr Blobby? Haven't seen him for a very long time. Did he have a fatal injury? (like a puncture, or something?) Only asking,

Cheers!

Mr Blobby was wielded by someone who was a Meadowbank fan (although no Thistle fan could remember him). While there are a few Meadowbank fans who watch City (and plenty who don't such as GordonD who posts on here) Thistle effectively died in May 1995 as far as we are concerned.

Mr Blobby was the nickname of not particularly liked chairman Bill Hunter who moved the club to Livingston against the fans wishes. Basically it's a bit like an ex Thirds fan turning up to Pollok with an effergy of Bill Hiddleston.

The chap with the inflatable Blobby stopped going when City signed Craig Thomson. Rumours are he may re-appear at the new Meadowbank.

Meantime I have a 1989 vintage Man City inflatable banana. I could bring it to games but I fear he may end up playing at centre half.