New Year in Scotland

Thorongil

19 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
24 minutes ago, Thorongil said:
It also annoys me how Steak Pie at New Year was invented and retconned in circa 2005 into being a “tradition”.

It's been the norm for as long as I have lived in Ayrshire (nigh on 50yrs)

Nah, not buying it.

I think it's just changed with the culture.  We've become more atomised as a society with people often not even knowing their neighbours.  Contributing factors to this are various forms of technology such as games consoles, computers, smart phones etc.

There's no common purpose and very little to bind us together as a society, and little that brings us together .  Nationhood?  That's for the low-IQ, ya flag shagger!  Religion/Church?  That's for the weak.

It'd probably be awkward as hell to go first footing these days.  Folk wouldn't want it.

It's easier to just crack open a few cans in the house.

Happy New Year when it comes everyone! :)

Edited by Scott Steiner

I think it's just changed with the culture.  We've become more atomised as a society with people often not even knowing their neighbours.  Contributing factors to this are various forms of technology such as games consoles, computers, smart phones etc.
There's no common purpose and very little to bind us together as a society, and little that brings us together .  Nationhood?  That's for the low-IQ, ya flag shagger!  Religion/Church?  That's for the weak.
It'd probably be awkward as hell to go first footing these days.  Folk wouldn't want it.
Happy New Year when it comes everyone! [emoji4]
Your describing neighbourhood not nationhood ya tit. Nationhood has absolutely nothing to do with new year, first footing or not knowing your neighbours. A bizarre thing to try to relate it too.

1 hour ago, Thorongil said:

Since circa the year 2000, Scotland has gradually (and now to a large degree) lost interest in New Year and “Hogmanay”. 

I think that’s something we can all agree on. 

But what is the reason? I think it’s because people realised it was meaningless pish.

Precisely the last paragraph. Folk maybe finally realising it’s far better to enjoy New Years Day without a brutal hangover, bursting heid, churning guts, ring-sting and fighting trying not to fall asleep face down in your dinner.

12 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Eh?  When did steak pie at NY ever stop being a thing?

Couple of big f**k-off steak pies for the New Year’s Day dinner with all the in-laws tomorrow. 

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
8 minutes ago, Scott Steiner said:
Happy New Year when it comes everyone! emoji4.png

Your describing neighbourhood not nationhood ya tit. Nationhood has absolutely nothing to do with new year, first footing or not knowing your neighbours. A bizarre thing to try to relate it too.

I think you’ve misinterpreted Scott’s post there.

11 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
15 minutes ago, Scott Steiner said:
Happy New Year when it comes everyone! emoji4.png

Did you read my post properly, BJK?  I wasn't trying to describe either neighbourhood or nationhood, but mentioned the latter in the context of things which no longer bind us together, which contribute to the first-footingless situation we find ourselves in.

Anyway, I won't be lowering myself to your abusive tone.  I hope you enjoy the bells when they chime.  Something tells me you may have had a fair skinful already.  Stay safe.

First new year since I was 15 where I’ve not been out on the sesh. Feels weird sitting in but our pals cancelled their party because they’ve been waiting on PCR Results.

Sitting with a Can of Tennents watching the Avengers.

Steak pie talk reminding me of a tale from wartime Glasgow. 

Around midnight the air-raid sirens had gone off, which meant everyone had to head for the shelters. 

Wullie and Mary are halfway down the street, when he turns to her and says :

"I'll have to go back to the hoose, Mary, A've forgot to put ma teeth in"

"Ffs, Wullie, it's bombs they're drappin' here, no steak pies" 

14 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

My three are out on the lash tonight- as they should - but tomorrow I have steak pie for dinner.  

This is normal.

It really isn't normal.

What it is, is regional and steak pie as a dish is as dull as the tedious chipper / chip shop, lorne / square ... ad nauseam debates