Sons vs Cove 29.01.22

A return to League 1 action awaits after both teams put up valiant cup efforts against Premiership opposition without managing to seal their place in the next round.

Sons provided quite the test at home to Dundee and if it wasn't for Colin Steven's inexcusable sending off of Ross MacLean before half time then the outcome might well have been different. In the end Griffiths' pen mid-way through the 1st half was enough to secure the win. Dumbarton won the appeal against Ross' red card and will feature on Saturday.

Cove put in an admirable performance against Hibs at Easter Road but succumbed to a 2nd half ET goal from Scotland Internationalist Kevin Nisbet (who had a loan spell at the Sons in 2017/18 but failed to hit the net in 9 appearances). Who would have thought at the time he'd be capped at International level.

Not sure what to expect from Saturday, hopefully the slightly elongated break since our cup defeat will have aided our recovery and we'll have a full team selection available. Mark Reynolds might make his full debut, however, it will be interesting who of Scott Ross, Morgyn Neill, Ryan Strachan would make way.

Farrell identified his areas which needed strengthening and looks to have brought in capable additions in the likes of Wright, Wylde, Bronsky, Hutchinson and Oyinsan. Will Wright get his chance ahead of Ramsbottom? Interested to see Oyinsan in action.

Cove expected lineup below.

Capture1.PNG

Edited by CoveRangers1922

From reading the match preview I'd say we're a week away from Kieran Wright being eligible for selection, so I'd like to see us stick with as settled a team as possible. The best teams in the division have very settled sides, and it's not really something we've had all season. It'll be a huge ask for us to take anything from this, but if we perform like we did with 10 men last week then we should have half a chance with 11 this week.

Ramsbottom

Pignatiello Bronsky Buchanan Boyle

Duthie Carswell Paton Wylde

Oyinsan MacLean

That lineup sees Sam Muir and Joe McKee dropping out. But I feel Wylde and Boyle down the left had a nice balance in the East Fife game, and we'll need Paton and Carswell to turn in similar showings to the last few weeks in midfield if we're going to win that particular battle.

Looking forward to seeing how Josh and MacLean fare against a very good League One defence. They caused a dreadful East Fife backline plenty of issues, and if Josh had been a wee bit sharper he could've had a hat-trick. Both caused Dundee issues last week (until MacLean's red card) so hopefully with some more gametime under his belt Josh can be a bit sharper in the box if a chance comes his way.

Right now I'd be really pleased if we took a point. I didn't realise until I was doing my prep how good Cove's form was. It's absolutely superb. Two defeats in 20 League One matches, nine straight wins, and they haven't conceded in eight of those games. That's absolutely sensational.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

Whilst we kept a clean sheet against East Fife I actually thought the defence against Dundee looked more secure. Not judging Bronsky yet but I do have concerns there. Would much rather Wright was in goal, a real pisser he picked up an injury. 

What you see is what you get with Josh and I assume we'll turn this into a bit of a battle with direct balls to him and scrapping for the second ball. Happy for Wylde to come back in and hopefully he carries on his form from the second 45 against East Fife. He'll do well to get any jog out of Logan mind you. 

I think Cove will have too much for us but as long as we compete I'll be happy enough. 

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

From reading the match preview I'd say we're a week away from Kieran Wright being eligible for selection, so I'd like to see us stick with as settled a team as possible. The best teams in the division have very settled sides, and it's not really something we've had all season. It'll be a huge ask for us to take anything from this, but if we perform like we did with 10 men last week then we should have half a chance with 11 this week.

Ramsbottom

Pignatiello Bronsky Buchanan Boyle

Duthie Carswell Paton Wylde

Oyinsan MacLean

That lineup sees Sam Muir and Joe McKee dropping out. But I feel Wylde and Boyle down the left had a nice balance in the East Fife game, and we'll need Paton and Carswell to turn in similar showings to the last few weeks in midfield if we're going to win that particular battle.

Looking forward to seeing how Josh and MacLean fare against a very good League One defence. They caused a dreadful East Fife backline plenty of issues, and if Josh had been a wee bit sharper he could've had a hat-trick. Both caused Dundee issues last week (until MacLean's red card) so hopefully with some more gametime under his belt Josh can be a bit sharper in the box if a chance comes his way.

Right now I'd be really pleased if we took a point. I didn't realise until I was doing my prep how good Cove's form was. It's absolutely superb. Two defeats in 20 League One matches, nine straight wins, and they haven't conceded in eight of those games. That's absolutely sensational.

Quite a balanced side that I feel. Josh will no doubt be a stern test aerially for Morgyn Neill, hopefully he doesn't have lightening speed as he'll have Scoop in a head spin! If he can get that sharpness and provide regular goals then that's huge for momentum and confidence throughout the team.

Our last 3 months or so has been impressive and coincides with a shift to 3-5-2 with Harry and Shay playing the wing back roles. When defending they make a 5 man defence and our central midfield 3 are providing cover to that back line too. Big reason for the clean sheets in my opinion. We've won ugly a few times it must be said, particularly when Mitch wasn't playing. Sometimes our new formation has mean't a lack of support for the front line.  Harry Milne, Shay Logan and Blair Yule have been real standouts for us as of late.

The run of league wins will need to come to an end sometime. I fancy BTTS. As good as our defensive has been I just feel that at home Sons will get on scoresheet.

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Interesting analysis from both posts. Can I ask that such balance produces a draw so we can hopefully cut the gap ? Saying that we might well struggle at QP!

I thought you'd be wanting a home win! I'm hoping the cup run doesn't derail our league form. It shouldn't as we weren't put to the slaughter by Hibs but I foresee a tough fixture tomorrow with maybe 1 goal margin winning it either way.

Will most likely be catching up with mate tomorrow at the Rock, he's a scout for the Diamonds and will be analysising Cove ahead of our game a week tomorrow.

Saturday against Dundee was the first I've seen Sons this season, other than highlights. Oyinsan looks a handful and I'd imagine he'll have opposition defences worried. Dumbarton looked fairly solid against Dundee, if perhaps somewhat unspectacular, though that's not really a fair criticism in the circumstances. Cove are always a good team whenever I've seen them since they joined the big time and their squad looks fairly strong. I'll plump for 1-1, though head says narrow home win. 

8 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Not sure this is relevant in any way but I’d say Cove’s squad looks stronger than Arbroath’s on paper.

When the 5th round draw was announced I was even more deflated as would have wanted to see that contest of Arbroath vs Cove. Interesting to see how they fair against Hibs at Gayfield. 

They are flying and all credit to them. Building a strong grounding not just on the pitch but off it too but would like to test that theory of Arbroath being the best PT team in Scottish football at present. I'm a big fan of Dick Campbell, not just what he's achieving right now but because he gives you his honest assessment and none of the media trained responses that some managers give every interview.

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Quite a balanced side that I feel. Josh will no doubt be a stern test aerially for Morgyn Neill, hopefully he doesn't have lightening speed as he'll have Scoop in a head spin! If he can get that sharpness and provide regular goals then that's huge for momentum and confidence throughout the team.

Our last 3 months or so has been impressive and coincides with a shift to 3-5-2 with Harry and Shay playing the wing back roles. When defending they make a 5 man defence and our central midfield 3 are providing cover to that back line too. Big reason for the clean sheets in my opinion. We've won ugly a few times it must be said, particularly when Mitch wasn't playing. Sometimes our new formation has mean't a lack of support for the front line.  Harry Milne, Shay Logan and Blair Yule have been real standouts for us as of late.

The run of league wins will need to come to an end sometime. I fancy BTTS. As good as our defensive has been I just feel that at home Sons will get on scoresheet.

How has Scoop been after his shaky start?

14 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

How has Scoop been after his shaky start?

He's been impressive to be fair. Really strong in the air which we've missed in the last couple of seasons. Would head away boulders. Chipped in with a couple of big goals too.

Pace is an issue and distribution isn't his strongest asset as I think you or @Jan Vojáček pointed out when we signed him. Not that I expect us to have centre backs who have all the dream attributes as clearly they'd be at a higher level than us. If we make it to the Championship I wonder how'd he'd get on, not sure if L1 is his level or he'd be competent there too. Did well against Hibs though. Needs pace next to him at CB as a quick striker would jog away from him.

All in all a good signing but 3 year deal is a tad generous

Milne was great at Hibs - Megginson showed that touch of class but alas his legs were gone in 2nd half, how he made it through extra time I'll never know, McAllister dangerous in the right areas but surely this season is his swansong.  Fully confident Cove go up as L1 champions but also certain will be looking for a new forward line to make a challenge/stabilise in championship.  Hope there's still money in the kitty after the (to me) strange Reynolds signing.

15 minutes ago, marello said:

Milne was great at Hibs - Megginson showed that touch of class but alas his legs were gone in 2nd half, how he made it through extra time I'll never know, McAllister dangerous in the right areas but surely this season is his swansong.  Fully confident Cove go up as L1 champions but also certain will be looking for a new forward line to make a challenge/stabilise in championship.  Hope there's still money in the kitty after the (to me) strange Reynolds signing.

Harry Milne is one I hope many clubs above us stay well clear of. He's a brilliant left back who's very strong in the challenge, quick, can go past his man and got end product. Only 25 years old. Full time I think he'd go to another level again. If I were Stephen Glass I'd be keeping tabs on him. Dons were playing Dean Campbell at LB against St Mirren mid-week and as good as Johnny Hayes is, he's 35 in the summer and won't go on forever.

Mitch was outstanding against Hibs and is undoubtedly our pride possession. Would have loved to see him score against a Premiership club to show he's capable of that. He'd challenge for a spot in most of the SPL bottom 6 clubs for me. Differentiator in many games.

Rory I think could do a job for us for 1 more year, be that in Championship or L1 if we don't go up. He's not going to high press but he's crucial for us. Proper target man who can hold the ball up and deadly in front of goal. When he doesn't play we have no one that can do his task and allow Mitch to stay close and get the knock ons / layoffs. Do think he'd be used more of a sub if we go up and we'd definitely need to replace him with a Rory of about 10 years ago.

I've seen pretty much nothing of Mark Reynolds in the last 3 years so waiting to see how that one pans out. It's a signing for the here and now I feel and to give us some backup at CB. Jevan, for me, isn't good enough for L1 and I'd be astonished if we gave him the optional 2nd year on his contract.

Think anyone else will come in? Surely there's a loanee somewhere out there that would strength our bench if not starting X1 and would be willing to join us until season end. I think we're the only club in L1 with a loan at this moment

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I thought you'd be wanting a home win! I'm hoping the cup run doesn't derail our league form. It shouldn't as we weren't put to the slaughter by Hibs but I foresee a tough fixture tomorrow with maybe 1 goal margin winning it either way.

Will most likely be catching up with mate tomorrow at the Rock, he's a scout for the Diamonds and will be analysising Cove ahead of our game a week tomorrow.

I will accept a loss Indeed for you as it could make things interesting for our visit next week IF we can do a job at QP. Three of us intending to be there next week. Best wishes.