Winter Olympics Beijing 2022

Bully Wee Villa

11 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Bollocks, will miss the end of the final as it clashes with the football.

Setting off for the fitba early are you?  The final is at 6.05am on Saturday (well certainly according to the schedule on World Curling Federation website

Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022 - World Curling Federation

Edited by Caledonian1

8 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Setting off for the fitba early are you?  The final is at 6.05am on Saturday (well certainly according to the schedule on World Curling Federation website

Match for Bronze medal - 6-05 am

Gold/Silver - 12.00 noon

6 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

Gold/Silver - 12.00 noon

Nah...this is from the BBC

The last time Britain won a men's curling gold medal was in 1924. By now we'll know if there's a chance of a repeat performance almost a century later. The battle for men's curling gold begins at 06:05 and while Canada and Sweden are the most likely contenders on paper at the Games' outset, Bruce Mouat led Scotland to last year's world final so has demonstrated he can reach this stage. The women's bronze-medal play-off follows at 12:05.

7 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

Gold/Silver - 12.00 noon

Men’s bronze medal game is 6:05am tomorrow

Women’s semis at noon tomorrow

Men’s final 6:05am Saturday 

Women’s bronze medal moon Saturday

Women’s final Sunday 1am

13 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I really don’t understand them throwing it away at the end of the 9th to give away a steal of 1 and go 2-down rather than just drawing for an easy 1 to tie it up.

This chart shows that play alone took them from a 26% chance of winning down to 12.1% 

https://www.curlingzone.com/analytics.php#1

I think Steve Cram was right that he did overhear them say - "let them steal we can get a 3 in the next end" Couldnt have happened to a better team.

Certainly a bad day for Canadian curling too where only the men have a chance of bronze (and I hope they get it v the USA)

Got a face-to-face work event that looks as if means I will miss the womens semi - however, the heavy snow forecast could make travelling to that out of the question so may afterall dial in on Teams (with the curling on my tv in the background)

30 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

They said 12pm on BBC? Hopefully that's right then, thanks. 🙂

22 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I really don’t understand them throwing it away at the end of the 9th to give away a steal of 1 and go 2-down rather than just drawing for an easy 1 to tie it up.

This chart shows that play alone took them from a 26% chance of winning down to 12.1% 

https://www.curlingzone.com/analytics.php#1

That's a difficult to decipher website!

4 minutes ago, Binos said:

That's a difficult to decipher website!

Down the left is the number of ends left

Along the top you have the points difference between the two teams and then the win probability if you are:

- Winning with the hammer

- Winning and trying to steal

- Losing with the hammer

- Losing and trying to steal 

41 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I sort of get what they were thinking- but it was strange. They felt there was a better change of scoring 2 or 3 with hammer than taking the 1 to even the scores and stealing off Mouat on last end.Problem is neither were good options and that's why they were so quiet towards the end and he was blaming everyone. Jackie Lockhart mentioned the Canadian fiasco via David Murdoch which is still talked about and I felt it made more sense than this - just! 

ven if you get a 2, you're without hammer in the extra anyway, plus they'd spent the entire second half trying to build an end and fail. I don't like when teams keep trying to do something that wasn't working- they kept trying to get a score and blanking but they were running out of ends and Mouat was relentless. 

24 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I think Steve Cram was right that he did overhear them say - "let them steal we can get a 3 in the next end" Couldnt have happened to a better team.

Certainly a bad day for Canadian curling too where only the men have a chance of bronze (and I hope they get it v the USA)

I thought they said that too. They were very arrogant and self assured, especially for a competitive field and given they were playing Mouat which is one of the toughest teams out. Sure they are the Olympic champs, but the air guitaring and whooping was shite for the position in the game.

Don't get me wrong, the silence at the 9th end when it went wrong was fucking glorious. 

Also as for the Canadians, they have had the success when other teams were mostly amateur. Now it's pro others have caught up and the super competitive nature harms Canadian Curling strangely over other nations which focus on a few performance teams. I mean Canada could probably put 3 or 4 quality teams in easily. 

Edited by flyingscot

5 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I sort of get what they were thinking- but it was strange. They felt there was a better change of scoring 2 or 3 with hammer than taking the 1 to even the scores and stealing off Mouat on last end.Problem is neither were good options and that's why they were so quiet towards the end and he was blaming everyone. Jackie Lockhart mentioned the Canadian fiasco via David Murdoch which is still talked about and I felt it made more sense than this - just! 

ven if you get a 2, you're without hammer in the extra anyway, plus they'd spent the entire second half trying to build an end and fail. I don't like when teams keep trying to do something that wasn't working- they kept trying to get a score and blanking but they were running out of ends and Mouat was relentless. 

I thought they said that too. They were very arrogant and self assured, especially for a competitive field and given they were playing Mouat which is one of the toughest teams out. Sure they are the Olympic champs, but the air guitaring and whooping was shite for the position in the game.

Don't get me wrong, the silence at the 9th end when it went wrong was fucking glorious. 

Also as for the Canadians, they have had the success when other teams were mostly amateur. Now it's pro others have caught up and the super competitive nature harms Canadian Curling strangely over other nations which focus on a few performance teams. I mean Canada could probably put 3 or 4 quality teams in easily. 

What was this? I had to watch the last few ends on mute as I had a zoom call 

22 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

They said 12pm on BBC? Hopefully that's right then, thanks. 🙂

They said that for the womans  game v Sweden - it is 12.05pm tomorrow. 

The mens final v Sweden definitely 6.05am on Saturday....could be a long day if the women win and stay up for their final at 1.05am on Sunday.  Even given the time difference a 9.05am final (Beijin time) does seem really early...wonder if it was to tie in with Canadian tv meaning a saturday evening slot?

7 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

They said that for the womans  game v Sweden - it is 12.05pm tomorrow. 

The mens final v Sweden definitely 6.05am on Saturday....could be a long day if the women win and stay up for their final at 1.05am on Sunday.  Even given the time difference a 9.05am final (Beijin time) does seem really early...wonder if it was to tie in with Canadian tv meaning a saturday evening slot?

I assume it’s because the Olympics finishes on Sunday so it’ll need to be wrapped up before the closing ceremony. 

10 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Final 2009 when it was tied up and the Canadians couldn't work out what to do. 18 mins for the bit where they chuck it.

Note the scores- 6-6 so not far off what the 5-5 would have been if the US had taken 1. 

So this was in the last end and he was lying 1 with hammer and threw away his penultimate stone because there was nothing he could do with it, but then Murdoch made a play and then Canada failed to get back into shot position with the hammer so Murdoch won? 

11 minutes ago, Donathan said:

So this was in the last end and he was lying 1 with hammer and threw away his penultimate stone because there was nothing he could do with it, but then Murdoch made a play and then Canada failed to get back into shot position with the hammer so Murdoch won? 

Yup. It's still shown and talked about now.