Do you have a Bundesliga team you follow? Who? Why?

Luddite

On 02/02/2022 at 18:42, Luddite said:

For anyone following Bundesliga teams, who’s your team and why did you pick them? 

St Pauli, went over for a gig with no knowledge of them.  Pal asked if I fancied getting tickets for a game and that was that.  

Was meant to see them again in November but the game was off for a covid outbreak, I was on the bus to the airport when it got called off. 

April trying again. 

On 03/02/2022 at 20:52, Adamski said:

Me and some pals have/had a yearly football weekend in Germany, at least until Covid struck - 2-3 games over the course of a weekend, usually involving a fair bit of travelling and a lot of beer. Really looking forward to being able to do it again soon.

A few teams have stood out: Mannheim and Bochum are two examples. But the best of all was Freiburg. A cracking old stadium which they've now sadly moved from, a great supporters club/bar where we spent a good few hours of the evening chatting and drinking with their fans as Bayern Munich lost on TV, much to their amusement, and a city that was both beautiful and fun as a night out. I couldn't;t claim to be a fervent fan or anything, but they're always the first result I check.

I was based near Freiburg with my work in the late 90’s for 4 months and I can only echo the above.. Brilliant stadium and fans, fantastic small city and summer weather is almost Mediterranean like. Great beer too. 
Regret never getting back to a game at that stadium but have visited the area with my family a few times (Europapark close by was a firm favourite with the kids).

Always look out for their results.

I been to see 1860 Munich a few times, when they were at the Allianz. Though they are Bundesliga 3 now. 

I can’t exactly remember how we got into going to see them, I have friends who live in Munich so I think we just went once and I started keeping an eye out for their results. Then started going to their games anytime I went over to visit.

When I saw them it was at the Olympiastadion

so that’s going back a bit

St Pauli. I was in Hamburg for a month in the early 90s when the ship I worked on was in dry dock there.
Saw them play Hertha Berlin. The home fans then went on an Anti Nazi March after the match.
Also went to see HSV play Werder Bremen but the atmosphere at St Pauli was much better.

On 12/02/2022 at 07:15, SlipperyP said:

I have a team in every country.

German league team is St Pauli - reason.  I used to play for a team when I was about 12 called St Pauls and also my brother-in-law gave me a pennant that he got when he played against them with Tottenham Youth.

@German Jag you going to the game on the 20th?

On 12/02/2022 at 12:29, German Jag said:

Unfortunately no. Got my dates mixed up as to when tickets went on sale. By the time I tried, away end had sold out!

Change that, the health authorities in Hamburg have agreed an increase on the number of fans. H96 got a small number of extra ones for the away terracing, was able to get one!