Euro 2028 - Host bid

Clown Job

On 04/03/2024 at 15:38, HibeeJibee said:

Rugby earmarked all their £15m to rebuild 3 stands at Ravenhill - having already done the main stand for £5m with their own cash just a couple of years prior. Ravenhill now holds 18,000 - half seated and all covered.

Wee correction - the seats are covered but only the rear half of the terracing at the front of one of the stands is covered. In the other three stands none of the terracing is covered. 

NAP that there will be a deal agreed where Northern Ireland gives up its games in return for hosting a media centre and a few training bases. The politically sensitive thing to do is give half of the games to Dublin and half to London. 

Has there been any official mention of Hampden being redeveloped for euro 2028 that I missed?

The reason I ask is that the Wikipedia article on euro 2028 includes a 65,000 redeveloped Hampden in the stadia list.

IMG_9802.thumb.jpeg.a7cb24fd95ea974e8cb3d349a84c414d.jpeg

And here’s one of those architects’ drawings of how it could look that generally get folk excited but lead to nothing and are complete pie in the sky..

IMG_9803.thumb.jpeg.7ab2ddc45a8c47396de80cca675ecb52.jpeg

28 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Has there been any official mention of Hampden being redeveloped for euro 2028 that I missed?

The reason I ask is that the Wikipedia article on euro 2028 includes a 65,000 redeveloped Hampden in the stadia list.

IMG_9802.thumb.jpeg.a7cb24fd95ea974e8cb3d349a84c414d.jpeg

And here’s one of those architects’ drawings of how it could look that generally get folk excited but lead to nothing and are complete pie in the sky..

IMG_9803.thumb.jpeg.7ab2ddc45a8c47396de80cca675ecb52.jpeg

I think they said they were gonna paint the lavvies.  Didn’t say what colour. 

I think Mulraney said recently there was no immediate plans for redevelopment. If a major tournament doesn't motivate them then nothing will.

Ideally a new Hampden would be around 60k and tiered in a way that it can host different games and sections closed off to not make it feel empty. Something like 3 tiers of 20k so if there is a cup semi final between Killie and Dundee then only 1 tier is open. If Scotland are playing someone like San Marino or a Hearts v St Johnstone semi then 2 tiers are open. All 3 tiers open for any big Scotland game, OF or even a Hearts v Aberdeen final.

3 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I think they said they were gonna paint the lavvies.  Didn’t say what colour. 

Half of them green, the other half blue - to go with the dedicated ‘Old Firm’ dressing rooms already in place at our supposedly neutral national stadium. Fcuking disgraceful actually. I was in a mood one day while taking two Aussie visitors on the Hampden tour. I’d done the tour twice before, so knew what was coming.  When the tour guide got to the bit where he says ‘…and Rangers always have the West dressing room as they’re based in the West of the city, and Celtic always get the East, as they are from the East of Glasgow…’ I just blurted out ‘Why?… Especially when one of them is playing a non-Old Firm team here, then why is that?’…. Pregnant pause, then comes his reply… ‘Erm, eh, it’s just like that, anyway here’s the tunnel…’ I swear I was a baw’ hair away from saying ‘That’s fcuking bullshit’… but resisted. Thankfully. I’ve never regretted asking him the original question, but didn’t see the benefit in being an arse about it.  I maybe shouldn’t have even asked the original question, but fcuk it. I remember the day well. I was suffering from a dreadful headache, couldn’t be arsed even being there, but with visitors who could only go that day…’

How about some UK govt investment for  the most historic stadium in international football.

Is there no UK national lottery money available....or have they spent it all on the car parks and tube connections for Wembley.

47 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

How about some UK govt investment for  the most historic stadium in international football.

Is there no UK national lottery money available....or have they spent it all on the car parks and tube connections for Wembley.

The south stand was funded by a £23m lottery grant 

7 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The south stand was funded by a £23m lottery grant 

That's very nice of them.

The new Wembley cost 750 million in 2007... 1.5 billion in todays construction costs...much of that being UK govt funded.

In addition since then more than 70 million has been spent on infrastructure such as public transport links...and car parks.

Thanks UK lottery grant for our 23 million to redevolp our South stand back in 2003.

21 hours ago, ahemps said:

I think Mulraney said recently there was no immediate plans for redevelopment. If a major tournament doesn't motivate them then nothing will.

Ideally a new Hampden would be around 60k and tiered in a way that it can host different games and sections closed off to not make it feel empty. Something like 3 tiers of 20k so if there is a cup semi final between Killie and Dundee then only 1 tier is open. If Scotland are playing someone like San Marino or a Hearts v St Johnstone semi then 2 tiers are open. All 3 tiers open for any big Scotland game, OF or even a Hearts v Aberdeen final.

HMFC would sell out a semifinal against st johnstone.  Stop being ridiculous.

The only redevelopment we need is to demolish the dump and move all international and cup football from glasgow. Apart from old scum derbies when they can be locked in their own hovels for the day.

11 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

That's very nice of them.

The new Wembley cost 750 million in 2007... 1.5 billion in todays construction costs...much of that being UK govt funded.

In addition since then more than 70 million has been spent on infrastructure such as public transport links...and car parks.

Thanks UK lottery grant for our 23 million to redevolp our South stand back in 2003.

I checked and there was apparently £120m of lottery funding for Wembley and another £20m direct from the government so that's a rough 20% of the stadium 

Which is similar to funding the south stand it's that the SFA couldn't build the rest of it

The big difference is that even at that price Wembley is a viable proposition

They could charge people £75 to watch a friendly between England vs Iceland and it is booked out for 14 concerts in the next 10 weeks. Hampden will probably see about that many events total all year including league cup semi finals

If you're not the SFA and want to put on a big stadium event in Scotland then Hampden is never going to be first choice. Taylor Swift booked Murrayfield while Hampden is hosting P!nk. Even Manchester United vs Rangers is going to be at Murrayfield

49 minutes ago, PJ70 said:

HMFC would sell out a semifinal against st johnstone.  Stop being ridiculous.

The only redevelopment we need is to demolish the dump and move all international and cup football from glasgow. Apart from old scum derbies when they can be locked in their own hovels for the day.

Did Hearts sell out their semi final allocation to Rangers? I am being arsy here because I know they didn't but I have no doubt they could take 40k plus to watch them against a non OF team.

I didn't mean to touch a nerve there about the Hearts support. I know Hearts have a huge support and bring huge numbers at times. If a Hearts v St Johnstone semi could go over 40k then of course the 3rd tier should be opened. I would think that would be obvious and wasn't suggesting it should be closed at 2 tiers (40k). I was only throwing examples out there. 

I was more suggesting that depending on the expected crowd then it could be sectioned in a way that didn't leave huge gaps.

13 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

What about the Scottish government investing in Hampden?

The UK government also have put money into grass roots football in Scotland.

14 minutes ago, Big Bobo said:

What about the Scottish government investing in Hampden?

The UK government also have put money into grass roots football in Scotland.

Hahaha, good one! Not sure if you've noticed, but we're skint.

3 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Hahaha, good one! Not sure if you've noticed, but we're skint.

Not going to turn this into politics. 

It's all about the football. 

A win tonight will put a smile on every Scotland fans face. 🙂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿