Robert Jones Vs Joshua Oyinsan

Ref was mental today but that was one of the most pathetic Clyde performances I’ve seen in recent years.

I don’t get Lennon’s weird habit of not playing actual full backs. Page starting and then Cuddihy on at RB with Mortimer and McAllister in centre mid - wild. Tade and Jones up top - two shambling husks without a header won between them.  

Fair play Dumbarton though, team really turned up and the young team are always good for a bit of fun. Wright looks a great signing and Bronsky is exactly what Clyde needed, good job we have a completely inept recruitment team.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Did those wee fannys do that again aye? I noticed it was their first away day travelling on the supporters bus, hopefully someone had a word with them after the game.

There was around 30 or 40 youngsters at the back of the stand, a lot of them came by train, I seen them at the station, Clyde stewards had a word with them a few times during the match.

To be fair most of them are ok, and made a good racket today, a couple of older ones seem to be looking for trouble though.

11 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Ref was mental today but that was one of the most pathetic Clyde performances I’ve seen in recent years.

I don’t get Lennon’s weird habit of not playing actual full backs. Page starting and then Cuddihy on at RB with Mortimer and McAllister in centre mid - wild. Tade and Jones up top - two shambling husks without a header won between them.  

Fair play Dumbarton though, team really turned up and the young team are always good for a bit of fun. Wright looks a great signing and Bronsky is exactly what Clyde needed, good job we have a completely inept recruitment team.

Clyde have a recruitment team?

That was truly awful. A disorganised, ill disciplined rabble. Even the usually reliable parry tried to chuck one in by throwing it straight to an attacker.

Balatoni’s first half performance was something else, in an all round shambles and against strong competition, he shades it for the worst player on the park. Please never play him again.

Jones was rotten too, despite his goal which was laid on a plate. The way he meanders about like a heavily tranquilised giraffe really boils my piss.

Tade is absolutely done, he contributed next to nothing when he came on. The thought of Jones and tade being our main focus up front for the next 11 games is depressing.

That result was absolutely no surprise, we’ve been riding our luck for weeks and our position in the league is false imo. We will be extremely lucky if we manage to limp to the end of the season and avoid 9th (or 10th).

3 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

We've been shocking all over the park but how the f**k has Balatoni gotten back into the side? Lennon has a track record of "forgetting" how bad players are, or how certain systems don't work, and bringing them back months later.

Get Mortimer on at right back and Page in the middle instead of Balatoni (that's assuming Cuddihy can't be fit yet).

Bang on!

How the fluck can you and I see that but DL swaps out Doc for Tade and leaves Balatolni on till 82 min? Gomis for Mortimer was brainless too

9 points avail from Alloa, EF and Dumbarton...we got 4.  Feels like November once again.

Also very similar to at game at Forthbank, that I think ended 4-3.
5-4 game maybe. We were 3-0 up and 4-3 down before getting a couple to win.
Did those wee fannys do that again aye? I noticed it was their first away day travelling on the supporters bus, hopefully someone had a word with them after the game.
I was sitting next to them and the flare wasn't as big as the one at the Dundee game but they slightly dispersed again but, again, not to the same extent as previously. They got a mouthful from a supporter for doing that. I thought they created a really good atmosphere especially in the first half. They seemed to heed the steward's warning in the first half and didn't repeat whatever they were getting told off for. I was feeling a bit on the old side being where I was. When we scored the first, a few in front of me remained standing and not wanting to be that guy, I climbed over the seat to move a row back and pulled a muscle in my calf. Old b*****d.

Are Dumbarton fans the only folk who can be three goals up in the opening twenty five minutes away from home and still be shiting themselves ?  Fortunately we were visiting a pretty dire Clyde outfit today, and had it been 5-1 at the interval I don't think anyone could have complained. 

The opening 30 minutes was some of the best passing football we have produced in many a long day, and as some posters have mentioned there were some very good individual performances.  More than that we have discovered some nicely fitting jigsaw pieces; Hutchison was quietly effective at right-back, freeing up Carlo to do his stuff in the midfield; Wright is proving more than competent in goal, and Wylde has given us width and a crossing threat on the left.  And McLean was electric in the opening 45.  

It's only one good win however, and we need to now build on it.  The only downside was news that Big Josh has done his hamstring and could be out for an extended spell.

With East Fife winning at Alloa and our own result it's now game on at the bottom 😋

7 minutes ago, microdave said:

5-4 game maybe. We were 3-0 up and 4-3 down before getting a couple to win.

I’m still chuckling to myself to this day that Paddy Flannery wound Alex Williams up to the point that he got himself sent off at 4-3. What a game that was!

We all know that Jones is a lazy mess, that Balatoni conned us into a transfer, that Page is massive weak spot at right back and that Tade is only really worth a go for 15 minutes in a tight game. I think most people also realise that Ally Love, despite a quite staggering list of incredibly important goals, is also miles away the standard needed at this level.

What we can't afford is for Parry to be all over the place (should he have saved the first?). Or Elsdon/Docherty to produce performances on a par with Balatoni's effort. Or for Splaine, who has been a strong performer in the recent run, to join Cunningham and Cuddihy in missing out (and let's be honest, that trio are at best average L1 players). There's also absolutely no point signing Jamieson, who is a pure finisher, if we don't have any intention to create chances. His red card was silly but when the captain spends 90 minutes mouthing off and the manager gets a red card for dissent, a bit of ill discipline from a youngster maybe isn't a surprise. 

Dumbarton have stuck in two great performances at Broadwood this season but they won't have an easier 90 minutes than that. They're probably baffled by the fact we are still four points ahead given we have displayed full gang status in both matches.

Finally, the refereeing today was also on a par with Balatoni's performance. He was so bad that he even caused Jones to show a bit of aggression at one point.

Guy behind me in the queue at half time said Rumsby was away on a stag do, the stag being the son of someone who he sits beside.

I’ve never been a fan of Rumsby and I’m in no way convinced (even still) that he’s good enough for this level but he has been quietly effective for the most part this season.

By comparison, balatoni today made him seem like maldini.

22 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The opening 30 minutes was some of the best passing football we have produced in many a long day,

I agree. We played really well and the plastic pitch allowed us to put together some absolutely lovely moves. The build up to Wylde’s sitter in particular was sublime stuff. Unfortunately we return home to the infamous fucking tottie field next week where any hope of passing football and slick moves are a complete non starter. 

We are a team who performs far better when we get the ball on the deck and pass it so it’s no surprise we are rock bottom of the home table vs 5th in the away table. I’d genuinely rather be playing Alloa at their place. 

1 hour ago, Clyde01 said:

Jones was rotten too, despite his goal which was laid on a plate. The way he meanders about like a heavily tranquilised giraffe really boils my piss.

Never read a better description of him. A big, lazy, useless b*****d with absolutely no positive attributes. 

Only got ourselves to blame, no surprise that as soon as Balatoni is brought in we lose 3 goals in half an hour. Honestly worse than a man short, total bombscare.

Fair play to the Sons fans who joined in for the 24th minutes applause, and well done to whoever came up with the idea.

A fitting tribute to a young man taken far too soon. 

Edited by macclyde+

2 hours ago, CM. said:

Was Splaine carrying a knock? He's improved in recent weeks yet was an unused sub today. Page has been fine at centre back but he's in danger of becoming a scapegoat at right back. The less said about Balatoni the better. 

I would like to see McAllister's foul that led to Dumbarton's 2nd goal as I thought it was unbelievably soft. Not that it would've affected the result in any way. We were rank rotten. Jamieson's petulance towards the end with his 2 quick bookings just summed it up. 

Sucked right back into the mix at the bottom now and if we don't bring in 2 or 3 players of sufficient quality before the end of the loan window then I hope to god Barry Ferguson clings onto his job at Alloa till the end of the season.

It's never a foul in a million years by McAllister for the second goal. He does really well to muscle Wylde off the ball, poor decision by the ref. 

Why win a game in 90 minutes when you can do it in 21, eh?

I thought that we were excellent today, and displayed all the signs of progress that we've seen in recent weeks in the one game for the first time; Kieran Wright was flawless, Gregor Buchanan looks himself again alongside big Stephen Bronsky, the Paton x Carswell midfield axis is working beautifully and Conner Duthie and Ross MacLean gave Clyde no end of bother.

Yes the Bully Wee were absolutely dire. But we punished them for that. Not half as much as we should've done either. Conner Duthie was denied by a superb Neil Parry save, Gregg Wylde missed a sitter, Paul Paton missed a sitter. If Paddy Boyle had been an inch taller he'd probably have scored. Ross MacLean should've had a hat-trick when Parry inexplicably rolled the ball right to him, but dinked onto the roof of the net. It was the most clearcut chances I've seen a Dumbarton team have in yonks.

As mentioned above, our passing game in the first-half was outstanding. We were sharp, clinical and played the right ball nine times out of 10. We really just carved Clyde's hotchpotch defence open at will. It was a joy to watch.

The only reason we could do that though was because Paul Paton and Stuart Carswell were dominating the midfield. Paton seems to generate a lot of anger in some of our fans, and I really don't get it. He was far from our worst performer during the woeful Sep-Dec run and, in recent weeks he's been nothing short of absolutely superb. He reads the game incredibly well, his use of the ball is generally pretty good. He's a good tackler, he's hard as nails, he'll never shirk a challenge and he's been our most vocal leader on the park since early January. It's not a surprise at all that Carsy is playing the best football he has in a good while alongside Paton imo.

Given all that, Paton was probably my choice for Man of the Match, but there were plenty of contenders. Ross MacLean terrorised the Clyde defence and looked a threat all game. Both his goals were well taken and you can see him gradually becoming more of a natural as a centre-forward. Perhaps the only black mark against his name was that he went down a wee bit too easy too often and, after falling for it time after time, the referee eventually clocked it and turned a blind eye to him on the deck. The irony being that when Conrad Balatoni left one on him the referee waved it away. Kind of brought that on himself.

Stephen Bronsky and Gregor Buchanan are looking a good pairing, and both compliment each other really nicely. Bronsky was chucking himself in the way of everything and is an absolute warrior. Buchanan is a bit more refined and balances things out, but also appears to have cut out his flying out of position to challenge for a ball he's never going to win. Communication between the two of them is clearly good. Kieran Wright only had two saves to make, but did both well and his handling of high crosses was exemplary. In fact he just kind of patrols his penalty box with a swagger that clearly instils confidence in his back four.

Conner Duthie continues to impress me, and his pressing in the first-half was outstanding. He didn't give Clyde a moment's peace and - as we say every week - with a bit more composure in the box he'd have hit the net himself. Another word too for Stuart Carswell. Who could've pictured him scoring a goal like that before this season? It was a lovely finish. Fair play to Faz, for the first time in his career Carsy actually looks comfortable when he goes on the attack and that's something that neither Jim Duffy nor Stevie Aitken could get him to do.

There will be tougher tests to come. Not every team will be as poor as Clyde were today, and we have our own tattie field of a pitch to contend with next week. Playing on the astro really looked to suit us so, as with BBPF, I'd be feeling a lot more confident if we were playing Alloa at the Recs.

That's now 7/9 points this season we've taken from Clyde; 6/9 from EF and 4/6 against Alloa. If only Peterhead didn't seem to have a hex over us! There really is very little between the teams in this league, but if we can keep getting results against those around us then we should have enough to pull clear.

What can I say about Clyde then? They were absolutely rubbish.

I don't understand why Nick McAllister is playing in central midfield when he's clearly (clearly) a far, far superior option to Jonny Page at right-back. I don't understand why you signed Conrad Balatoni. I don't understand why anyone thinks Jones and Tade is a strikeforce for any level above the Lowland League, and I don't understand why a teammate didn't grab Jamieson and drag him from the referee before his ridiculous two bookings in a minute.

The league table doesn't lie. They are a better team than us. But without Goodwillie (and based on the three games between the sides this season) they look a really poor outfit all over the park. Barry Cuddihy returning will help them a fair bit, but it feels like they could be at risk of being dragged right into serious bother. Especially if Alloa punt Ferguson and East Fife manage to build on the win today.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

Todays game was the biggest of the season

A win would have put us 10 points clear of Dumbarton with 11 games to go and would have probably guaranteed L1 safety

Instead we come out like the keystone cops from the first minute and were all over the place and if we had been 5 or 6 down at half time it wouldn’t have been a surprise 

What isn’t a surprise is the result and performance as we have frankly been hopeless all season and is amazing we have amassed the points we have

Reality is that we could easily end up will nil points from the next 4 games and we will be right back in the mix if that happens

We have nothing up front and nothing being created from midfield

The defence and keeper have by luck and poor finishing from the opponents been able to keep the goals deficit down for the last few months but we have been poor in pretty much all games this season and are lucky to be were we are

Hopefully our luck turns but would say we have had more than our fair share of luck this season to date

44 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I don't understand why Nick McAllister is playing in central midfield when he's clearly (clearly) a far, far superior option to Jonny Page at right-back.

Danny Lennon absolutely hates full backs playing at full back. The fact that we finished the game with 2 right backs playing centre mid and a centre mid playing right back was almost like DL was parodying himself.