Hearts v Livi

thruthenight

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

It was patently obvious from about ten minutes in that Livi had come for penalties.

A baffling approach devoid of any ambition and deservedly emptied oot the cup.

Blatantly obv to an idiot yep, away and take your face for a shite.

We were the better team 2nd half and came this close to winning the game long before pens.

May be an image of 4 people, people playing sports, stadium and grass

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

Crowd was 12,000 and something.

Not a lot of enthusiasm around Hearts just now, and a home cup tie with Livi doesn't spark the fire.

And Livi brought less than one full upper section of fans.

And out sang the Hearts fans at home, wasn't difficult tbf.

6 hours ago, crispy said:

I definitely think Neilson, the Hearts players and fans will reference Pittman’s shot coming off the post as lucky (I’ll provide quote if I see it). I think our ‘keeper had a quiet day. 

Just watched Sportscene and Craig Gordon agreed Hearts were lucky Pitts deflected shot didn't go in when it hit off the inside of the post yep.

Max had one good save to make, rest were ones you'd expect him to be making, Penrice and Devlin defended brilliantly with the timing of their tackles and blocks, thought Devlin was terrific at getting block after block in, to stop Hearts getting shots on target.

Not sure why Livingston fans are getting narky at the suggestion they were overly defensive, they were. They had a good chance first few minutes that Gordin saved comfortably, and a deflected shot that they were unlucky with so they had chance but in general play they showed almost zero intent to come forward. 

Hearts were fine up til the final 3rd and then it was all one paced with no intent. That what happens when you play Andy Halliday as your number 10.

I thought we were the better team purely for the reason we were at least trying to win rather than settle for penalties from very early on.

28 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Yeah the nigh on 600 away fans were magnificent all game,but to no avail,best of luck to Hearts in the next round....

Was surprised Martindale set up the way he did, looked like a change in tactic with more emphasis on containment than the usual pressing game I’ve seen from you guys recently. Took the game to penalties though, so hard to criticise him for that. By the end I was just glad to get to the pub, not a game for the purists. 

Was surprised Martindale set up the way he did, looked like a change in tactic with more emphasis on containment than the usual pressing game I’ve seen from you guys recently. Took the game to penalties though, so hard to criticise him for that. By the end I was just glad to get to the pub, not a game for the purists. 

Over the years I’ve seen some pulsating, breathtaking end to end cup ties where it seemed almost unfair that both teams couldn’t go through to the next round

This wasn’t one of them

3 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Over the years I’ve seen some pulsating, breathtaking end to end cup ties where it seemed almost unfair that both teams couldn’t go through to the next round

This wasn’t one of them

Was getting to the stage where I almost didn’t care who won, I just wanted to leave. 😄

12 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Crowd was 12,000 and something.

Not a lot of enthusiasm around Hearts just now, and a home cup tie with Livi doesn't spark the fire.

And Livi brought less than one full upper section of fans.

Can only bring what we're allocated. Apparently we were 20 shy of selling out our allocation

9 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Just watched Sportscene and Craig Gordon agreed Hearts were lucky Pitts deflected shot didn't go in when it hit off the inside of the post yep.

Ach, but what does he know…

Looking at bigger picture now I think it’s encouraging that we’ve gone away to Ibrox, Easter Road and Tynecastle since Xmas and not looked out of place. We were excellent against Hearts at home, too. Have to be looking for that Top 6 finish in the league despite the stated aim still being to dodge relegation. Dropping points to 2 of bottom 3 in recent weeks is the sloppiness we need to cut out.

Also, Tynecastle remains my favourite away day in the league. Plus points for proximity and lack of pillars in the way.

Edited by crispy

33 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Can only bring what we're allocated. Apparently we were 20 shy of selling out our allocation

There were plenty of fans looking to buy tickets online Friday night/before kick off yesterday too. Absolutely ridiculous that you couldn’t buy tickets online or have them posted to you. We would’ve taken far more fans yesterday if hearts has organised it properly. 

13 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

It was patently obvious from about ten minutes in that Livi had come for penalties.

A baffling approach devoid of any ambition and deservedly emptied oot the cup.

"I don't buy into the idea that penalties are a lottery. It's about ability and mentality. Craig Gordon is an imposing figure in the opposition goal."

This was Davie Martindale's take on Penalties. Doesn't sound like something from a man coming for Penalties.

3 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

Not sure why Livingston fans are getting narky at the suggestion they were overly defensive, they were.

I don't think anyone's denying that though, are they? The bizarre take is the suggestion it was luck because of the shots stat; it was organised defending and trust in the shape.

The plan was clearly to soak up pressure and hit on the counter attack, if not for the spin on the ball sending it into Gordon's arms instead of the net then it would have worked a treat. Would also help if we had more clinical finishers or a bit better decision making (Anderson cutting it across for Nouble in the first half instead of going himself), but Hearts along with any team on the planet can say the same after most games. 

6 hours ago, crispy said:

Ach, but what does he know…

Looking at bigger picture now I think it’s encouraging that we’ve gone away to Ibrox, Easter Road and Tynecastle since Xmas and not looked out of place. We were excellent against Hearts at home, too. Have to be looking for that Top 6 finish in the league despite the stated aim still being to dodge relegation. Dropping points to 2 of bottom 3 in recent weeks is the sloppiness we need to cut out.

Also, Tynecastle remains my favourite away day in the league. Plus points for proximity and lack of pillars in the way.

Must be the best behind the goals view in the league too, not usually a fan of having to sit there at games, but Tynnie's is high and steep, and you can see up the other end of the ground no problem too.

7 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

Thought we pressed like buggery in the centre of the pitch and overturned possession plenty of times to break up the pitch, which was obv to anyone but a blind man (and Hearts fans) what we set out to do with a 3-5-2 formation in the 1st half, and we created the better chances then too. 2nd half we were even better when Nouble and Penrice started getting down your right flank and Nouble cutting inside the box and putting balls across the box.

Hearts had room to play down the wings but didn't really trouble our goal much, as we defended so well. We tend to give up lots of possession to the better teams in the league and are comfortable hitting them on the counter, or pressing when they come into our half to turn over possession. Put it this way, we don't get humped 5 zip off Sevco, and have taken more points off Celtic than most teams.

53 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Thought we pressed like buggery in the centre of the pitch and overturned possession plenty of times to break up the pitch, which was obv to anyone but a blind man (and Hearts fans) what we set out to do with a 3-5-2 formation in the 1st half, and we created the better chances then too. 2nd half we were even better when Nouble and Penrice started getting down your right flank and Nouble cutting inside the box and putting balls across the box.

Hearts had room to play down the wings but didn't really trouble our goal much, as we defended so well. We tend to give up lots of possession to the better teams in the league and are comfortable hitting them on the counter, or pressing when they come into our half to turn over possession. Put it this way, we don't get humped 5 zip off Sevco, and have taken more points off Celtic than most teams.

Aye, mate. Sound.

On 13/02/2022 at 01:04, LIVIFOREVER said:

And out sang the Hearts fans at home, wasn't difficult tbf.

Aye, that was flat as I've seen Tynecastle this year. I was impressed by the co-ordination of the Livi fans chanting - nicely timed pauses between chants.

Presumably all Hearts' fans were like me, just praying quietly for the fucking snorefest of a game to end.

On 13/02/2022 at 01:36, LIVIFOREVER said:

Max had one good save to make, rest were ones you'd expect him to be making, Penrice and Devlin defended brilliantly with the timing of their tackles and blocks, thought Devlin was terrific at getting block after block in, to stop Hearts getting shots on target.

Some of Livi's blocks were superb - the one when Alex Cochrane had a free hit on the left side of the box especially so (though Cochrane did take his bloody time in getting the shot away).