Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

9 hours ago, G_&_T said:

Anybody else feel like this is seeing a car accident - you don't want to look; you know you shouldn't look; but it's so compelling that you have to look? I feel very guilty, as it's almost like a TV drama. 

A lot of folk don't seem to understand how nasty war is. Anyone old enough remember Iraq/Kuwait when the Iraqi army fled and the Allies bombed them when trapped in their vehicles? 

I'm old enough to remember Vietnam Group of children and soldiers moving on foot away from a distant cloud of smoke rising from the ground. Several children are crying and one in the center is also naked as she runs toward the camera. See the source image See the source image

22 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I wonder how many PoW's the Ukrainians now hold. How many will be too many for the Russians. 

This stuff needs to be gotten to the Russian public

The Ukrainian government have set up a phone line for Russians to find out if their sons have been captured, not sure how widely the phone number will be known as Twitter and Facebook have been restricted in Russia.

I think Anonymous put it on as part of their TV take over.

Too bad, there’s no point in putting things into law if you have no intention of enforcing them. 

Absolutely, I agree with you there, but there are some things that happen in this world that people will never be held accountable for; a lot of those “things” occur during war. It’s sad.

8 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Regarding the Chechen comments.

Its a little bit wrong to say they killed Dudayev as he was reasonable and then out a luscious in charge. After Dudayev was killed the war continued until the rebels defeated the Russian army in Grozny. Russian authorities ended up signing a peace treaty with the Chechen rebels, which gave them control over the territory, a de facto victory. The Chechen President then was Aslan Mashkadov, very much from the same political cloth as Dudayev. The proto state failed due to severe instability and the force is radical Islamism became dominant in the rebel movement, culminating in the 2007 rebel split, between secular and Islamist rebels.

Kadyrov rose to power later and his brutal control of Chechnya is important to Putins Russia. He keeps the most dangerous and unstable part of the country under control (it’s likely that over 250,000 people died in the Chechen wars and insurgency) and also allows his pro-Russian Chechen troops to be used in various hot spots. They are battle hardened, have a fearsome reputation and casualties there are easier politically than Russian conscripts dying. 

BBC Russian have published conversations showing that Kadyrov was informed very early about the invasion and his troops are seen as an important t part of it. There’s also some suggestion that there is little enthusiasm for this war among them. If they take heavy losses or start to become unmotivated then that could pose problems for the Russian regime in a number of ways.

Pics or gtf

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

It is worth bearing in mind that the Russian forces will eventually break through and have success. They still have far more numbers and firepower. They seem to be having success advancing in the South of the country and there are reports of them making progress in the Donbas (remember that?).

You're right of course, but at least it hasn't been as easy as we all thought (and the Russians, too, probably).

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Q135 "WHO WAS THE THIRD BRITISH MONARCH FROM THE HOUSE OF PLANTAGENET?"

Q136 "HOW MANY CATHEDRALS ARE THERE IN THE COUNTY OF SHROPSHIRE?"

*sound of shells falling* 

The answer to Q135 is easy - No one

17 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Might look like a result for Russia but it’s going to the judges.. it’s a split decision .. and it’s a win for Russia! 

The Russians will achieve their Ukrainaian military objectives in due course.

They lost a million at Stalingrad.

But that was defensive, and all things considered (at the risk of sounding a bit insensitive, I’m sorry) the stakes were far greater. I don’t think they want to chuck thousands upon thousands at this. The soldiers certainly don’t anyway, whereas in Stalingrad I’m pretty sure the soldiers were on board with what was being done for Stalingrad.

32 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Get the phrase “Lethal Aid” into the Business/Corporate speak thread ASAP.

There was a news reader on Sky News during the early hours (UK time).  He kept on saying 'Lethal Aids'.  Said it about 4 times, before someone in his ear, started shouting at him. I think it was his first gig.

Reports of a strike on Russian forces from a Tb2 drone at Kherson international airport. If true, this goes against almost all the analysis that I read which was confident Tb2 command and control and physical drones would be the first things destroyed by Russian attacks. 

34 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I'm old enough to remember Vietnam Group of children and soldiers moving on foot away from a distant cloud of smoke rising from the ground. Several children are crying and one in the center is also naked as she runs toward the camera. See the source image See the source image

I remember it to.

The photo at the bottom is misleading.  The man being shot was a Viet Cong leader who had just murdered a woman and her six children and the man with the gun knew the family.

Lots of footage of Russian pows saying they didn’t want to fight and were told they’d be enemies of the people if they didn’t mobilise. Also unconfirmed reports of a riot of around 5000 Russian troops refusing to fight, according to Obozrevatel. This mornings analysis puts Russian losses at 4300.

Don’t understand how the Russians seem to have been so tactically inept. Still they’re keeping groups of armour together and a drone strike took out a number of vehicles at Hostomel earlier.

1 minute ago, Fullerene said:

I remember it to.

The photo at the bottom is misleading.  The man being shot was a Viet Cong leader who had just murdered a woman and her six children and the man with the gun knew the family.

I never passed any comment on the photo - I posted it to show the savagery of war.