Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

43 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

They could qualify for both men's and women's World Cups. If huge numbers of teams say they won't play them it eventually means that keeping Russia in these tournaments becomes increasingly farcical and hopefully will lead to them being banned.

The moral stand of not playing Russia in a World Cup held in *checks notes* Qatar.

I'm all for kicking Nations out of international competitions for doing heinous shit, but let's at least try to make it appear that not just being done on feels. Selectively applying  rules does nothing to address already held grievances by countries (not just Russia).

Where is the line being drawn here ? Is it war crimes ? Occupation ? Military action ? Human rights abuses ?

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

"Expect a growing investor backlash against anything Russia-related, which explains why gold miner Polymetal has taken another beating, falling another 46%. Year to date the shares have now fallen by two thirds in value, putting the share price at levels not seen since 2015. Even worse was Sberbank whose London listed shares collapsed by 75%.

Many investors are showing solidarity with the Ukraine and no longer believe it is morally right to have anything do with Russia in their portfolio.

BAE Systems soared by 14% as investors flocked to the defence sector most likely in the belief that governments around the world would take another look at their defence budgets and increase spending. Fellow defence companies were also in demand, Chemring jumped 10% and Qinetiq was up nearly 9%, while French electrical systems group Thales advanced 13% given its position as a supplier to the defence sector."

Sorry, but that's all utter nonsense, "investors" couldn't give a monkeys about stuff like that, they've all been taken down by the market makers due to the current situation and the fact that their assets may be seized.

Absolutely. I think the reluctance of the Chelsea trustees to take the “stewardship” of the club on ethical/legal grounds is quite significant as well, he must realise that he has reached the point where his wealth and power isn’t quite enough to solve the problem and that actually he, like the others, will be seeing that fall rapidly as well. No good in having money if you can’t spend it.
Would love to see a proper expose of just how many Tory MP's are beholden to, and up to their nuts in, oligarch money. They could start with the Johnson/Lebedev love-in.........

26 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Moscow now appears to be stating that Liz Truss is responsible for the nuclear weapons alert.

I heard her yesterday stating they would not look to stop any UK citizen that wanted to travel to Ukraine and help their effort from doing so.  That seems to have been enough for the Russians to act !

In fairness, the provocative rhetoric coming from that cretinous imbecile of a woman over the past week or so has been nothing other than idiotic at best.

8 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

The moral stand of not playing Russia in a World Cup held in *checks notes* Qatar.

I'm all for kicking Nations out of international competitions for doing heinous shit, but let's at least try to make it appear that not just being done on feels. Selectively applying  rules does nothing to address already held grievances by countries (not just Russia).

Where is the line being drawn here ? Is it war crimes ? Occupation ? Military action ? Human rights abuses ?

Red and yellow cards?

4 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

Blue eyes and blonde hair.

Yep, I'm a bit uneasy with  all the sporting bodies coming out.  War have been going on for years with countries having to play (maybe at a neutral country) games. Not just football.  Sport is suppose  to be above politics. 

33 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I had never heard of this boy before the last few days, but he seems to be having an exceptionally strange time of it just now.

Is he always like that? 

He's a very odd man, used to write about "migrants in gloveboxes" for the mail and has reinvented himself as a "true progressive". Fair play to him for going out there but the fact he's just beefing with anyone who makes fun of him is kind of on brand. He's also acting as if being a wealthy man able to just drop everything to go and report from there is the most selfless thing ever done. Give me a few grand, some contacts and no need to ask for annual leave and I'd nip over. Might even go and try to report something new rather than tweet about myself and retweet press releases I could've done at home. As a British journalist, however, there is nowhere more real in life than Twitter 

28 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Bit rude that they didn't give him a round of applause TBH.

He has now gone off on a food journalist making fun of him. Obviously a lot of time in the day between going to places where a bomb hit 3 hours ago to take pictures in a flak jacket, writing self aggrandizing posts and shilling for PayPal donations.

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

"Statements were made by various representatives at various levels on possible altercations or even collisions and clashes between Nato and Russia. We believe that such statements are absolutely unacceptable.

I would not call the authors of these statements by name, although it was the British foreign minister."

Screenshot_20220228-122542_Google.jpg

14 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Sorry, but that's all utter nonsense, "investors" couldn't give a monkeys about stuff like that, they've all been taken down by the market makers due to the current situation and the fact that their assets may be seized.

I imagine a lot of investors are trying to fathom when Russian stocks will hit rock bottom before buying them.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Grandma

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

It's going to be difficult for FIFA to say that war in Europe is verboten but it's ok in Gaza,Yemen and Syria given that the majority of voting rights are held by non white nations. 

It's also going to be difficult to ignore the innocents in these countries being murdered by our "friends" and indeed our weapons given the strong condemnation / outrage being aimed at Russia and Belarus for their assault on Ukraine.

I'd say a precedent has now been set.......

14 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

The choice is allowing them a bye to the finals or kicking them out. Poland, Sweden and Czechia won't play them. There's the line. I'm more than happy to see Saudi Arabia and Israel punted, too, but it isn't going to happen. There is now a movement to remove Russia and any and all pressure that can be applied should be applied. f**k them off.

In fairness, the provocative rhetoric coming from that cretinous imbecile of a woman over the past week or so has been nothing other than idiotic at best.
Given the paucity of gravitas, sincerity and decency in the current UK cabinet, it's astonishing that we still punch so far above our weight on the world stage.........

Just now, Bully Wee Villa said:

The choice is allowing them a bye to the finals or kicking them out. Poland, Sweden and Czechia won't play them. There's the line. I'm more than happy to see Saudi Arabia and Israel punted, too, but it isn't going to happen. There is now a movement to remove Russia and any and all pressure that can be applied should be applied. f**k them off.

The only thing I'd say here is "Football is above politics" is supposed to be the bedrock of Uefa and Fifa as we've all found out in the past and we can't blame the Russian Footballers for Putin going "full tonto".

Interestingly, I also found it a bit of double standards seeing the English FA (and indeed Sky) stance on the Ukraine situation given how they responded to Guardiola and the whole episode in Catalunya a few years back.

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Is there a legal precedent for disqualifying a nation based on their government being the aggressor in a war?

20 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

I know FIFA like their whole "football is above politics" cop-out, but they do seem to love an authoritarian regime.

Massive boost to your chances of hosting the tournament if you can promise a few human rights abuses along the way.