Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

Putin's talk of Ukraine not existing brings to mind Israel's argument about a Palestinian people being an invented fiction. It's easier to bomb people if you pretend they don't exist.

Edited by welshbairn

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

A nuclear war is their biggest fear because there is no way there is any American nuclear war plan which doesn't involve taking them out regardless of whether they are part of the conflict.

That's the extreme version, the more relevant version is who would buy their consumer goods.

3 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

If you're a despotic megalomaniac who's taken the world to the brink of nuclear war and are pushed out of office, what do you then do in your spare time? Cannae see the after dinner speaking tour offering many gigs.

How big is Putin's garden ?

4 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

If you're a despotic megalomaniac who's taken the world to the brink of nuclear war and are pushed out of office, what do you then do in your spare time? Cannae see the after dinner speaking tour offering many gigs.

Part time gig as a steward at Parkhead.

Russia has hit Ukrainian radar post in Kyiv with a ballistic missile. This is ominous- could be that the city is to be heavily bombed tonight.

I think we are entering a stage where Russia will use heavy fire against urban areas. Ukrainian forces could be stretched or cut off and it’s likely that heavy losses could result.

6 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

"Hey Vlad, I have organised your world tour".

"Sounds great.  Where are we going?"

"Minsk"

"Okay.  And after that".

"Back home again".

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

That's why these peace talks need to have enough that both sides can claim some kind of 'victory'.  May take the Ukrainians to formally sacrifice some territory to achieve that, and the Russians to accept that regime change in Ukraine is not an outcome of this (well not until a poisoning in the next couple of years).

Ceasefire and return of forces to ante bellum position, a formalisation of the status of the two breakaway republics (for everyone's fucking sanity if nothing else), with EU candidate member status as a sweetener and incentive for Ukraine to stop being a corrupt nick themselves sometime in the next 20-40 years for full membership. 

Ukraine has to be a genuinely neutral buffer zone, but the military aid to allow it to defend itself can (and will anyway) continue. 

I'm not sure how likely peace talks can get to that point in a hot blood situation, but news that they are returning for a second round is a step forward. 

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Putin's talk of Ukraine not existing brings to mind Israel's argument about a Palestinian people being an invented fiction. It's easier to bomb people if you pretend they don't exist.

There is a very informative article about Nuclear weapons in the most recent LRB. It's available to read online for free and is extremely chilling. 

China was a target in any nuclear engagement even before accquiring nuclear weapons. They were then taken off the target list in the 70s but the article author says there is a new protocol in which they almost certainly feature. The modern day Strangeloves have five first strike options which the President has to choose between if he decides to use nuclear weapons. 

1 minute ago, MONKMAN said:

Could do to wait until at least Thursday afternoon when I'm back onshore, the last place I want to die is at my work.

You'll get a decent view of the artificial sunset and mushroom cloud at least 

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'm beginning to think Putin hasn't thought all this invading neighbours to stop the expansion of NATO thing through.

He thought this would be like Hungary or Czechoslovakia where they could do what they liked and everybody else was helpless.

However this is looking more like the failed coup in 1991.

14 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Russia has hit Ukrainian radar post in Kyiv with a ballistic missile. This is ominous- could be that the city is to be heavily bombed tonight.

I think we are entering a stage where Russia will use heavy fire against urban areas. Ukrainian forces could be stretched or cut off and it’s likely that heavy losses could result.

Sky suggesting this is happening now. Austin hasn’t said as much, but he’s giving every suggestion that what we are witnessing are war crimes. 

17 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

Decent read for any interested in the Case of the missing Russian air force

That’s really interesting. I guess, as with all of this war, Russia’s strength in numbers will tell eventually, they just have more jets.

I see the EU most likely won’t be delivering fighter jets to Ukraine after all, another blow today.

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Sky suggesting this is happening now. Austin hasn’t said as much, but he’s giving every suggestion that what we are witnessing are war crimes. 

War crimes or not, who's going to bring him down ?

The fact remains that unless Putin is taken out by his own people, then he can and will literally get away with murder and there's not a thing we can do about it.

Re the tennis again for a moment.....Medvedev is a multi-millionaire already, so I doubt if missing out on a couple of tournaments is going to disrupt his livelihood too much. There should be no athlete of whatever sport, able to represent Russia outside of their own borders for the foreseeable future, and the 'under a neutral flag' is no different whether it is tennis, football, ice hockey or tiddlywinks.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

Back in December I was on holiday in Romania and I posted that I met a Belgian politician who has links with Assad and Turkish cult leaders and was used by Russia to help legitimise dodgy elections.

He's in the news, unsurprisingly taking the Russian side:

https://www.demorgen.be/nieuws/westen-heeft-oorlog-uitgelokt-vlaams-belanger-hekelt-wapenleveringen-bij-sputnik-news~b0f3a770/

^^^DmitriDmitri name change incoming

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Someone posted earlier about foreign intelligence not being shared with the UK due to govt links to Russia. Does anyone have a source for that? Canny mind who posted

Heres a few articles which show you just how reluctant to challenge Russian aggression, how interwoven they are to our political elite in ‘Londongrad’ and just how in bed with them Boris really is. 

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/12482108

https://red-team.blog/2016/07/14/boris-johnson-and-national-security/amp/

https://newlinesmag.com/reportage/britain-risks-danger-in-flirting-with-putins-friends/