Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

5 hours ago, red23 said:

On the flipside i've worked with a couple of Ukrainians, probably the most difficult working experience of my career to date.

Obviously yet to work India (as well as numerous other places).

Worked in both Ukraine and Russia (lived in Russia for 6 months or so) before. Both being a pretty surreal experience at times, but none the less fantastic. Russia edging it on the mentalness stakes.

All in all, very sound people, with a different approach to life than we would maybe have in the west.

Also very much a division of have and have not. For Russia there was the adage of whether you lived inside our outside the MKAD (whether you were rich or poor, with little in between).

27 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

An attack in Ukraine just six miles from the Polish border and a threat to attack weapons supplies to the Ukraine from the USA.  It seems Putin wants to escalate.

I'm going to Krakow on Wednesday might pack my M240 and Rambo knife just in case. 

If they invade Poland there's a good chance we'll all die. Someone needs to get a hold of Putin and give him a good shake.
Polish president talking about Russian use of chemical weapons and how it would probably provoke a NATO response.

This whole thing has been a succession of folk saying X or Y isn't going to happen, then it happens.

An escalation of some sort has a feel of inevitability. And with that said, so far the Russian army has given little indication it wouldn't be absolutely trashed by conventional NATO forces.... So where does that leave us?

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Polish president talking about Russian use of chemical weapons and how it would probably provoke a NATO response

There were between 80 and 330 chemical weapon attacks in Syria before America bombed a military airfield and it was a year later that there was wider military action.

I think the first few attacks at least will just be condemned.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Polish president talking about Russian use of chemical weapons and how it would probably provoke a NATO response.

This whole thing has been a succession of folk saying X or Y isn't going to happen, then it happens.

An escalation of some sort has a feel of inevitability. And with that said, so far the Russian army has given little indication it wouldn't be absolutely trashed by conventional NATO forces.... So where does that leave us?

I have no doubt that NATO would wipe the floor in a conventional war with the Russian army. I'm just hoping that the Russian high heid yins see how bad they are performing and will try get a peace deal signed sooner rather than later. The problem is this is Vlad's war and if he starts getting his arse kicked he may try to take half the globe with him.

45 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

I'm going to Krakow on Wednesday might pack my M240 and Rambo knife just in case. 

So long as you don’t take any liquids over 100ml in your hand luggage you should be fine.

PS enjoy your trip.

Putin definitely seems to want to escalate this.

Starting to attack other cities is a bit weird because there certainly seems to be at least some evidence he doesn’t have the resources to sustain even the attacks they were already undertaking. Surely the ideal for him is that he went into Ukraine, took the Donbas areas he wanted as quick as he can and then used the forces to occupy them, instead he spreads the already piss poor resources thinner.

My worry is that this seems to be a bit irrational, and if an otherwise intelligent, powerful person becomes irrational, that’s usually very bad news. The biggest that there becomes no limit to what he will actually do, and I suspect we should stop thinking “He won’t do X or Y” because I don’t think we can know or predict what he will do.

9 minutes ago, throbber said:

They’re firing at a military base which has personnel and equipment in place to kill Russian soldiers it seems like a logical place to drop bombs. 

Yip, hopefully it stays at those type of installations and doesn't get a bit random as that's when a serious mistake could be made 

Top article on the BBC news website is regarding how life is changing for ordianry Russians following the sanctions.  Now I am no doctor nor dietician but I suspect I might know why Daria so desperately needs those blood pressure tablets......

"Daria has been stocking up. "We bought 4kg of coffee, 4 litres of sunflower oil, 4 litres of olive oil and four bottles of whisky." She has also ordered a three-month supply of medication for her high blood pressure - she says some drugs are already harder to get hold of."

15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Interesting indeed. Watched another one and everyone seems a bit wary of saying what they really think, but it probably gets closer to the truth than most media.

Indeed.

Lots of carefully worded replies to the questions there.  And 'no comments'.

Sanctions seem to not really impacted the ordinary person in the street , so far, other than some prices have increased.

Apart from the guy who has some of his assets/savings in $, which he can't access.

Edited by beefybake

2 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

The Russians will be in Krakow by Wednesday...

Edited by Jacksgranda
Sleppnig