What level do you need to be to play competitive amateur football?

Lookingforfootball

I haven't played competitive football since I was a teenager but have regularly played 5s/7s since then. I'm wanting to start playing competitively again but I'm not sure if I'm good enough. What sort of levels are out there? I want to play for fun and obviously to win but I don't want to get chewed out by teammates for not being good.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends what level you want to start at; you won't get into top amateur teams, as they usually have a mixture of ex-junior/semi-pro players. Amateur has a wide range of skill levels though, and the standard can be atrocious to suprisingly good, sometimes better to watch than some top flight games. Most important aspect is to remember it is amateur, and it is purely done for the love of the game. Always important to remember that whilst playing amateur. 

Try finding a club that's close to home. You may find that you know some people there already and or get to know other local players. You're more likely to get helpful feedback from training with such a club in the first instance than much else.

Good luck.

Edited by Dev

Do they not have pub/work leagues anymore.  Sunday morning 11;00am ko.  Most folk still half cut.

Standard was, if you turn up you get a game.  Usually a few better players in the teams also played on the Saturday amateur leagues.  If you're any good, these players will ask you to come along to their Saturday team. 

3 hours ago, Lookingforfootball said:

Thanks for the replies. I think I might try and find a team to train with and see what the standard is like. How do you go about finding a team at the right level for you? Is it best to try and start at the bottom division?

Facebook. Or try the website for your local amateur football league. Teams will usually post that they need players on there.

E.G example on here https://www.aberdeenshireafa.com/

Edited by Merkland Red

On 24/02/2022 at 21:48, Lookingforfootball said:

I haven't played competitive football since I was a teenager but have regularly played 5s/7s since then. I'm wanting to start playing competitively again but I'm not sure if I'm good enough. What sort of levels are out there? I want to play for fun and obviously to win but I don't want to get chewed out by teammates for not being good.

16 hours ago, Lookingforfootball said:

Thanks for the replies. I think I might try and find a team to train with and see what the standard is like. How do you go about finding a team at the right level for you? Is it best to try and start at the bottom division?

5 hours ago, Lookingforfootball said:

I'm in Glasgow. I stay in Partick but have a car so can travel a bit.

Plenty choices in the Glasgow area: on Saturday mornings there are about 100 clubs between the Glasgow & District, Strathclyde and Glasgow Colleges leagues (latter's name is historical); on Saturday afternoon there are about 50 clubs in the Greater Glasgow Premier (there are also the Caledonian, Central Scotish and Scottish Amateur leagues but they tend to be more elite, IIRC, so likely not where somebody new would start?); on Sunday there are about 100 clubs between the Glasgow & District Sunday and Sunday Central leagues.

Look up league websites to identify clubs - maybe watch some games to gauge standard/etc. Training with somebody garners contacts/advice and might open doors with somebody else.

Edited by HibeeJibee