Motherwell v Ross County - Wed, 2nd March

1 hour ago, CountyFan said:

Have now seen the handball penalty shout in the second half and that wasn't a pen either. So we definitely were lucky last night. 

Our actual penalty was definitely a penalty, if you ignore the fact that Ramsay fouls the Motherwell defender first.  

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Our actual penalty was definitely a penalty, if you ignore the fact that Ramsay fouls the Motherwell defender first.  

Not for me. Clearly outside the box. I appreciate the foul then continued into the box, but the initial foul was outside. 

6 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

Not for me. Clearly outside the box. I appreciate the foul then continued into the box, but the initial foul was outside. 

Which would make it a penalty.   I believe the rules on this were “tweaked”. I may have completely made that up, though, in which case you are right. 

edit: from the FA website. 
If a defender starts holding an attacker outside the penalty area and continues holding inside the penalty area, the referee must award a penalty kick.

Edited by Savage Henry

I have no problems with that being a penalty, what/when was the hand ball incident, I don’t recall it.

This is the problem with motherwell fans who don't think it was a penalty, choosing what rules they like.
Even had someone say to me on Twitter about when his legs "gave way" which is wild that grown people add things that aren't in the rules.

16 minutes ago, ropy said:

I have no problems with that being a penalty, what/when was the hand ball incident, I don’t recall it.

A cross that SOD blocked in the second half- he had his hand out, but it went under and bounced off his thigh and went out.

That was one of the worst games of football I've seen in recent times and pretty disappointed as was expecting quite an exciting game with County in form and us coming off the back of a good comeback at the weekend. If I had no prior knowledge of either team and went to watch that, you'd have had a hard time convincing me that that was two professional teams. Complete lack of ability on the ball, players passing to no-one, missing simple passes, launching balls into the stratosphere for no apparent reason. County were the winners on the league table, and deservedly so for their solid defensive display, but the rest of us were losers for having sat through that.

Very few clear cut chances to speak of and probably appropriate that the game was settled by a penalty. It looked outside the box from my seat but I've since seen O'Donnell's handball incident and that's a penalty for me. So even if the first call wasn't right, think it's balanced itself out.

Shields probably should do better with his chance and the County keeper makes a good save from Roberts at the end but struggling to think of any other chances at either end.

Woolery played well, was the only player on the park who posed any real threat on either team for me. The rest of our lot were shite and I don't think Hungbo or Charles-Cook ever really got into the game for County.

Critical game at the weekend now against Dundee. Losing to Mark McGhee in a similar fashion might push my sanity over the edge.

17 minutes ago, Comrie said:

A cross that SOD blocked in the second half- he had his hand out, but it went under and bounced off his thigh and went out.

I’ve seen it on the TV now, no penalty.

If I posted last night when I got in, it would have been a rant of the tear-stained variety.

I've said loads of times that I don't get too excited about "style of play" - but I've got my limits and last night was fucking abysmal stuff - one of the worst things I've sat through for years. I started counting unforced mistakes after about 10 mins and gave up when the 10th pass was put straight out of play (and I'm glad I didn't start counting aimless humps up the park to precisely no-one as I struggle with big numbers). How any manager could have watched the first half and started with the same midfield in the 2nd is a mystery for the ages - and players like Cornelius, Slattery and Shaw must genuinely wonder what they have to do to get a decent chance.

Not a single redeeming feature of the performance and zero complaints about the result.

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Which would make it a penalty.   I believe the rules on this were “tweaked”. I may have completely made that up, though, in which case you are right. 

edit: from the FA website. 
If a defender starts holding an attacker outside the penalty area and continues holding inside the penalty area, the referee must award a penalty kick.

I did not think it was a penalty at the time and even now I think it is 50/50 as to whether it would be given by other refs. 

My problem is more Carroll’s poor attempts at defending. He could have done multiple things but give the referee a choice. Not get beaten initially even if it was a foul by the County player. And I would argue it was not a foul. Actually make his 1st attempt at fouling more clinical so it is a free kick and yellow card. But his actual attempt sums up our play at the moment - half arsed ! 

We did not play well last night but we still had more of the game and attempts v a County side that are being lauded at the moment. So I get all the negativity. But we were unlucky however poor we were. 

We were rubbish, but County were even more rubbish. Which makes it even more disappointing to have taken nothing from the game.

Next 4 for us are Dundee, St Johnstone, St Mirren and Livi. Bad run needs to end now, you've got to imagine that we'll need to pick up points in all of those games if we want to make top 6.

Carroll could’ve easily made it to the ball first and cleared it rather then trying to wrestle the player. 
That's where the foul by the County player is important. Carroll's getting there first until he's pulled back and then decides to get all grabby. I can see how both the ref and assistant could miss it though as it's really only clear from the Cooper stand view.

To be fair I hadn't realised the rule change about holding continuing into the box being a penalty. That seems really open to abuse - players staying on their feet through the initial contact then going down in the box.

Overall that was an utterly brutal game of football. Why we persisted in trying to put the ball in orbit when it was clear Woolery running at the defence was our best outlet I have no idea. Too many players picked the same time to not turn up.

I pretty much expected a result like that (and a good few others on here seemed to also) and expected it to be frustrating but I wasn't prepared for how dreadful it would be to watch. The complete lack of ability to pass the ball a short distance was particularly appalling and that applies to both teams. We really should have scored one of our chances but it certainly wasn't a case of being robbed.

Trying hard over the last couple of days to find a positive, and I've found one. The last time we had anyone who you'd perk up in your seat a bit when they got the ball because something might happen, was maybe....Gboly? Woolery had that last night, he had some fantastic little examples of bringing the ball in, dropping a shoulder or a neat turn to sell the opponent then drive forward...not to mention him seemingly just realising that he's fast and strong as f**k.

Obviously being Motherwell it's tempered slightly by the fact that it's March and that's the first time we've seen it from him, but at least it was something worth paying attention to.

Edited by Al B

I think that's maybe to do with the fact if he was to try do that more often he'd have to trap the baw on his forehead as all we do is pump it at him from 70 yards.