Shingles [emoji37]

Ylf

Have the shingles for the first time ever. Got it on my back and shoulder area. Got tablets from the doctor yesterday. Been feeling a bit run down recently. Got to admit the pain is pretty sore. Anyone ever had? Tips etc??

36 minutes ago, Ylf said:

Have the shingles for the first time ever. Got it on my back and shoulder area. Got tablets from the doctor yesterday. Been feeling a bit run down recently. Got to admit the pain is pretty sore. Anyone ever had? Tips etc??

All I know is a mate of mine had it years ago and had to wear paper pants. 

Maw Sanchez had this last year some time. Some pills for the infection and some for the pain which she now takes again because they help her sleep. Was a bit itchy for a few days but I think she was basically fine. Didn't have any open sores or pus or anything which can happen, so good luck if you end up with that.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

All I know is a mate of mine had it years ago and had to wear paper pants. 

Think you're getting mixed up with skitters.

3 hours ago, Ylf said:

Got it 17 years ago.  It was uncomfortable and physically draining but not too painful.  The only advice I can offer is to do as little as you possibly can regardless of how bored you are (and it will get boring).

Mine lasted six weeks but I was unfortunate enough to then contract postherpetic neuralgia which lasted a further six weeks.  I hope you don’t get that because that is sore.

All the best.

Ask the doctors for Gabapentin or Pregablin. Will help the pain immeasurably.

Gabapentine with a tramadol chaser.
That was the summer of 2009 for me when my back went.
The glory days.

Gabapentin/Pregablin combined with dihydrocodeine is very good for pain/dozing off, apparently.

Had it about 4/5 years ago. So much worse than I thought it would be. Just had to lie in bed for a few days and try to move as little as possible. Mine's cleared up pretty quick and I remember hearing the vital thing is starting the specific prescription for it within the first few days. If you miss that window it can be nastier and take longer to clear up.

54 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Gabapentin/Pregablin combined with dihydrocodeine is very good for pain/dozing off, apparently.

Pregablin is the work of the devil. Turned me into a right cranky monster. 

I've never been one to shout at the wife and snap at the kids, except when I was on that.