A Masterclass in Employee Relations from P&O Ferries

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Does that Dover MP actually start joining in the ‘shame on you’ chants that were directed at her?

It does appear so in that video, aye. She shouts it once and then realises what's going on, shakes her head and then shuffles out the crowd.

24 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It does appear so in that video, aye. She shouts it once and then realises what's going on, shakes her head and then shuffles out the crowd.

I think she's actually shouting it back at the protesters for some reason. 

It is like something from The Thick Of It right enough. 

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Taking a 5 figure monthly wage, a new car and a paid-for apartment when your staff are on $10 a day?

I have to be honest. I personally wouldn't touch a job like that with a bargepole. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night with the guilt.

Everyone takes advantage of cheap labour from the third world in some way. 

I hope you don't drink tea or coffeee or wear cotton or leather of have any electrical goods. 

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

Everyone takes advantage of cheap labour from the third world in some way. 

I hope you don't drink tea or coffeee or wear cotton or leather of have any electrical goods. 

Moral relativism isn't good. Did they not teach you in school that two wrongs don't make a right?

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

No idea what point you are trying to make here TBH.

Are you suggesting I should research into the welfare of every single person involved in the entire global logistics chain for any and all products or services I might be interested in before I buy and that if I don't, I'm somehow complicit in poor treatment of fellow humans?

No. That we are all complicit whether we are directly working with those poor guys on slave wages or not. 

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

To be complicit you'd need to actively know it was going on and continue regardless would you not agree?

Also equally complicit?

There is an enormous difference between taking a 5-figure monthly wage KNOWING your staff were starving in the streets and taking that sort of wage genuinely unaware that this was happening. One is being complicit, the other clearly is not.

His staff wont be starving in the streets. They'll be bunking up in dorms in  converted shipping containers and getting fed by the company. 

Wilful ignorance doesn't excuse anyone. 

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Like I said, I have no idea where you're going with this line of argument.

I think it’s the painstaking “everything bad in the world is equally bad and unless you take issue with everything you’re a disgusting hypocrite” argument that seems to be creeping it’s way into online conversation more and more often.

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Taking a 5 figure monthly wage, a new car and a paid-for apartment when your staff are on $10 a day?

I have to be honest. I personally wouldn't touch a job like that with a bargepole. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night with the guilt.

That's not even remotely unusual in the UK, I'm a bit surprised you're even shocked.