A Masterclass in Employee Relations from P&O Ferries

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

There are people in the UK being forced to live on $10 a day are there?

I didn't say I was shocked - I said I personally couldn't do it if I knew that the people underneath me were in that situation.

Bosses earning a hundred times or more the lowest paid worker in a UK company is standard. 

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

That's not even remotely unusual in the UK, I'm a bit surprised you're even shocked.

Are you, though?

It's Oaksoft. Poverty doesn't exist.

Edit: I'm sure he's massively well informed on what $10 per day buys for the poor in Dubai, in comparison to £35 in the UK.

Edited by BFTD

5 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

What about 4 rights?

Enshrined for British citizens within the protocols of the European Convention on Human Rights*.

* for now.

On 18/03/2022 at 16:46, alta-pete said:

Sadly I think the days of politicians acting as public servants are long gone. Guys like Donald Dewar and John Smith just ain’t involved any more.*

And therefore the quality of applicants - across all parties - has gone through the floor.  

Preferred route to being a politician now seems to be a Politics/Arts degree, act as a volunteer researcher, wait for a paid post, ingratiate with the incumbent, make your face fit, the old pals act kicks in and a seat will be found whether the local constituency likes them or not. 

Reveal hidden contents

* I ken they’re deid. Sevco, etc 

Do you think John spins in his grave every time Sarah Smith spouts crap on the BBC

2 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I'm just waiting for her to get a gig on Fox News.

Look forward to seeing the piece about how Morningside is a no-go area for white people.

On 21/03/2022 at 08:38, welshbairn said:

Bosses earning a hundred times or more the lowest paid worker in a UK company is standard. 

Back in 2015 it was 3.3 times more, in 2021 it had increased to 115 times more - still a fair bit less than the 331 times our Buddies in the USA get but still.

Whilst we could argue all day about the detail in those numbers, it's pretty clear there is a grotesque disparity and one that's getting worse.   

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Back in 2015 it was 3.3 times more, in 2021 it had increased to 115 times more - still a fair bit less than the 331 times our Buddies in the USA get but still.

Whilst we could argue all day about the detail in those numbers, it's pretty clear there is a grotesque disparity and one that's getting worse.   

We could legislate against this or apply very high tax rates. But we won't, because leftists are dangerous traitors who are hell bent on destroying British values, or something. 

There's at least one genius on here who has argued that there's nothing that can be done, as all the millionaires will go abroad and won't pay any tax. Because they don't do that now, obviously.

Probably another subject they'll cheerfully admit to knowing nothing about, but hold very strong opinions on regardless.

Edit: members of our government seem to have thought that we could be the place that the wealthy escape to in order to pay little tax. Well thought through, that one.

Edited by BFTD

29 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Dp world have "won" a contract to help with Freeport process in the UK so which Tory will be revealed as a director? 

I'll go for Rees mogg 

I'll pick ......

All of them?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60840467

BBC Headline is P&O Ferries offers £100,000 to some sacked staff

£36.5M divided by 800 is £45,625.00, so the average is well below this and the article actually states "and no employee would receive less than £15,000."

Why are the BBC using a positive headline on this?

8 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60840467

BBC Headline is P&O Ferries offers £100,000 to some sacked staff

£36.5M divided by 800 is £45,625.00, so the average is well below this and the article actually states "and no employee would receive less than £15,000."

Why are the BBC using a positive headline on this?

Its poor journalism, but happens a lot these days - its a direct lift from the P&O press release where they use the same "headline" phrase.