Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

SSTA suspend strike action after a consultative survey voted narrowly to accept the revised teachers pay offer.

I voted against accepting but cleary reading some of the replies there are some arseholes who don't understand what democracy is.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

On 17/02/2023 at 12:38, Billy Jean King said:

Can you point us to this outrage so we can see what a "solidarity with the strikers brigade" actually looks like ?

Council Tax has risen every year since the freeze ended, it would have been raised by as much as the Councils think they can get away with regardless of LA workers getting a rise of half the rate of inflation !

People don't like paying more tax, who would have guessed .

Ach, he must have tripped and fallen out of the Covid thread again. 

3 minutes ago, orfc said:

I've just been in Morrisons and a tin if ambrosia rice pudding was £2!!!! 😮

No wonder I've had to move into the gate lodge and shut down the East wing of my house for winter 😞

In Salt n Vinegar Towers, we've put the staff onto half rations and hooked their bikes up to the electricity. 

3 hours ago, orfc said:

No wonder I've had to move into the gate lodge and shut down the East wing of my house for winter 😞

Bizarrely Ambrosia custard pots are one of the things we recently stopped buying as the price has sky rocketed from 1.99 to 2.99 for 4. Makes 17% seem almost "reasonable". 

55 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Bizarrely Ambrosia custard pots are one of the things we recently stopped buying as the price has sky rocketed from 1.99 to 2.99 for 4. Makes 17% seem almost "reasonable". 

These money grabbing gits should be held to account and made to justify the price rises.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

They're creaming it in 

4 hours ago, orfc said:

The key word here is Morrisons.  As a long-term user of this supermarket I've become aware of it's decline ever since it was taken over by a private equity combo.  As someone who recently retired from a company under similar changed ownership I can say with some confidence that the bottom line is all that matters to these people, and they will grab any opportunity to boost it.

19 hours ago, Frank Quitely said:

The key word here is Morrisons.  As a long-term user of this supermarket I've become aware of it's decline ever since it was taken over by a private equity combo.  As someone who recently retired from a company under similar changed ownership I can say with some confidence that the bottom line is all that matters to these people, and they will grab any opportunity to boost it.

It happened a few years ago. Morrisons was a great shop, reasonably priced, good cafe and all that. Then almost overnight became quite expensive, and the cafe turned to shit. 

Morrisons is certainly nowhere near where it used to be in terms of fresh produce. The fish counter and the meat counter used to be really good, specially for getting stuff you couldn't get elsewhere. 

The entire shop in general was about the best for getting likes of foreign/more niche stuff. But it has very much gone downhill there too

They arent alone though. All the supermarkets are shit now. I have a number of cookbooks where you literally can't get the stuff you need from anywhere around, and need to go raking various websites etc. It's shite. 

19 hours ago, Frank Quitely said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/feb/27/is-private-equity-tearing-the-soul-out-of-morrisons-supermarket

On 28/02/2023 at 13:49, orfc said:

I'm not sure if anybody else heard it, but I was (strangely as I don't normally) listening to the John Beattie Drive Time show on BBC Scotland the other day. I missed the start of it, but I think he found a till receipt from a well known budget supermarket (it was Lidl, could tell by the noise of the self scanner) from a year ago, and he decided to go back now to see how much the same shop would cost today. There were 10 or so items on the receipt, bread, cheese, eggs and a few other things. Anyway, last years receipt was £12 something, this year it had risen to £19 something. Same basic items, totally different prices. 

18 hours ago, scottsdad said:

It happened a few years ago. Morrisons was a great shop, reasonably priced, good cafe and all that. Then almost overnight became quite expensive, and the cafe turned to shit. 

Someone I know through the football, used to work within marketing at Morrison's. Apparently they shifted the direction of the company from trying to entice the Tesco and Asda shopper into Morrison's into targeting the Waitrose and M&S Just Food shopper. He's now moved onto another company because he felt that Morrison's had failed miserably and claimed that the actual foot fall in the Stirling, Falkirk and Alloa stores had reduced by nearly half since the pandemic, which is why they were so opposed to Stirling Councils plans to accept the proposed Asda bid. Only taking his word for it, but considering how busy the Springkerse Retail park Morrisons used to be to now, i suspect he is telling the truth.

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

I'm not sure if anybody else heard it, but I was (strangely as I don't normally) listening to the John Beattie Drive Time show on BBC Scotland the other day. I missed the start of it, but I think he found a till receipt from a well known budget supermarket (it was Lidl, could tell by the noise of the self scanner) from a year ago, and he decided to go back now to see how much the same shop would cost today. There were 10 or so items on the receipt, bread, cheese, eggs and a few other things. Anyway, last years receipt was £12 something, this year it had risen to £19 something. Same basic items, totally different prices. 

Someone I know through the football, used to work within marketing at Morrison's. Apparently they shifted the direction of the company from trying to entice the Tesco and Asda shopper into Morrison's into targeting the Waitrose and M&S Just Food shopper. He's now moved onto another company because he felt that Morrison's had failed miserably and claimed that the actual foot fall in the Stirling, Falkirk and Alloa stores had reduced by nearly half since the pandemic, which is why they were so opposed to Stirling Councils plans to accept the proposed Asda bid. Only taking his word for it, but considering how busy the Springkerse Retail park Morrisons used to be to now, i suspect he is telling the truth.

I worked in the Alloa Somerfield when this store (when it was Safeway) opened. Overnight about a third of the money brought in went. The shop didn't last long after that. 

2 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

I noticed how quiet the Falkirk one seems to be now. 

Falkirk will be back at Brockville soon enough if it doesn't pick up.

Edited by latapythelegend

4 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Someone I know through the football, used to work within marketing at Morrison's. Apparently they shifted the direction of the company from trying to entice the Tesco and Asda shopper into Morrison's into targeting the Waitrose and M&S Just Food shopper. 

Ah, That explains why Waitrose have never managed to open a branch in Cowdenbeath then!