Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

49% of respondents think that people on benefits should not be able to rent a home?  WTF?

There's some crackers in there tbf.

Around 8-10% of people polled think anyone earning minimum wage or out of work benefits shouldn't be able to afford things like clothes and haircuts, or water and healthy food.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

49% of respondents think that people on benefits should not be able to rent a home?  WTF?

Haven't you ever watched Benefits Street m8? People on benefits spend all of their money on booze and fags. They even have flat screen TVs. The poor toiling landlords never see the rent.

Edited by StellarHibee

We took out a 2 year discounted variable rate mortgage at the start of this year. The rate we got then was 3.29%, we've already had an increase but I got a letter this morning saying that the rate is going up to 5.32% from September. Luckily we only have a small mortgage left so it doesn't really make much difference, hence the reason for a variable rather than a fixed rate, but for someone on an average mortgage that will be a huge increase.

Also, the renewal for the wife's car insurance came in this morning as well, from £300 last year to £470 this year. It was an 'ouch' morning.

1 hour ago, StellarHibee said:

Haven't you ever watched Benefits Street m8? People on benefits spend all of their money on booze and fags. They even have flat screen TVs. The poor toiling landlords never see the rent.

I would fucking ban polls as it's pretty obvious that political policies are being based on their outcomes.  If evidence is needed then listen to Sunak and his pledge on 'the boats'.

2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I would fucking ban polls as it's pretty obvious that political policies are being based on their outcomes.  If evidence is needed then listen to Sunak and his pledge on 'the boats'.

Rig the polls to say what you want them to say. Then base your decision on those rigged polls. Then nobody will complain.

1 hour ago, Soapy FFC said:

Also, the renewal for the wife's car insurance came in this morning as well, from £300 last year to £470 this year. It was an 'ouch' morning.

Mine just landed in my inbox this morning. No changes other than last year’s premium was £440; this year’s…?

Spoiler

£780!! 😳

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

It's almost like you ingrates don't want to see banks and insurance companies make record profits.

My buildings insurance only increased year on year by about 3%. Swinton: a great bunch of lads.

54 minutes ago, jakedee said:

Diesel up 6p a litre at my local garage. £1.43.9 yesterday, £1.49.9 today.

Here's me thinking oil prices were falling. 

Clearly not....

Well no, they're clearly not.

IMG_20230803_232817.thumb.jpg.935625e00d54f011d5c7763780876bee.jpg

On 03/08/2023 at 13:20, Granny Danger said:

That jumped out to me too. About 10% of people think that it's OK if people earning under the average wage (about £28k now, I believe) are homeless. Not sure they'd feel quite so strongly about that if six million people were on the rob for food and shelter. Presumably these c***s would like the reintroduction of workhouses to keep them safe from the poors.

Also the difference between whether poor people should be renting or owning homes is a bit bizarre, considering it's cheaper to pay a mortgage than to rent. It all just demonstrates that the most important thing to a lot of folk is that they have more than people they consider to be beneath them.

2 hours ago, BTFD said:

It all just demonstrates that the most important thing to a lot of folk is that they have more than people they consider to be beneath them.

A million times this.

There's another popular internet forum, I won't say the name but I'd imagine most on here could guess exactly where I'm referring to, and without fail, every single 'scroungers' thread is a litany of "I work an 80 hour week on minimum wage, raised 8 kids, haven't bought an item of clothing since 2012, and have to starve myself regularly just to feed the weans, and those FUCKERS next door claim PIP and have a FUCKING CAR!!!" and virtually identical type rants and raves.

Completely oblivious to the fact that the complainants' own situation perfectly encapsulates everything that is wrong with the UK. Total inability to recognise that perhaps the problem with working people living in penury is related to abysmally low wages, piss poor provision of public services, contrivance to exploit working classes, and long-term mismanagement of the economy. Nope, it's all the fault of the disabled folk next door who, for some reason, folk seem to think are on about £3000 benefits a week on top of being provided with every luxury going.

I'm not quite sure how this degree of total ignorance came about, nor the seething hate for people who also live in near-penury but happen to own one more piece of potato peel than you, but someone has done a cracking number on the seethers.

Edited by Boo Khaki

11 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

A million times this.

There's another popular internet forum, I won't say the name but I'd imagine most on here could guess exactly where I'm referring to, and without fail, every single 'scroungers' thread is a litany of "I work an 80 hour week on minimum wage, raised 8 kids, haven't bought an item of clothing since 2012, and have to starve myself regularly just to feed the weans, and those FUCKERS next door claim PIP and have a FUCKING CAR!!!" and virtually identical type rants and raves.

Completely oblivious to the fact that the complainants' own situation perfectly encapsulates everything that is wrong with the UK. Total inability to recognise that perhaps the problem with working people living in penury is related to abysmally low wages, piss poor provision of public services, contrivance to exploit working classes, and long-term mismanagement of the economy. Nope, it's all the fault of the disabled folk next door who, for some reason, folk seem to think are on about £3000 benefits a week on top of being provided with every luxury going.

I'm not quite sure how this degree of total ignorance came about, nor the seething hate for people who also live in near-penury but happen to own one more piece of potato peel than you, but someone has done a cracking number on the seethers.

In any race to the bottom people seldom stop to rationalise the situation, they lash out and invariably at the wrong targets.  They are also relentlessly preyed upon by the right-wing media.

Apologies for lifting this from the other thread, but here is a perfect example of it-

f**k those starving kids! The problem with modern Britain is that we actually feed asylum seekers. What a fucking outrage! 

Bonus points for repeating the 'illegal migrants' myth.

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Apologies for lifting this from the other thread, but here is a perfect example of it-

f**k those starving kids! The problem with modern Britain is that we actually feed asylum seekers. What a fucking outrage! 

Bonus points for repeating the 'illegal migrants' myth.

Platell, of course, well versed in what the Tories are doing to the lower orders, as their former Head of Communications.

Presumably still getting backhanders for peddling this kind of distraction.

2 hours ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

A nation radicalised by Loose Women and Benefits Street.

So we know where to avoid, where might one go in order to be radicalised by loose women?