Pars vs Rovers - Wed 6th April

3 hours ago, FBadgers said:

Ah 10/11, what a time. How i miss those days. That 2-2 Raith game was one of the craziest games. We battered them until ...Bell? Phinn? got sent off, and then raith battered us. Oddly they hit the bar, i think the post, and had efforts on goal that had they went in would have been worldies, yet scored two of the crappiest goals ever known to man. Guess raith wont care how they go in of course. Sure that game ended around half 5 as well. Mad stuff

We did have a wobble in the 3rd quarter, and i remember digging out a win at Falkirk which felt like the turning point. The last minute win at county was the big win of all to make everyone feel it was our year....then i think we won all the remaining games. And the tank! A belter of a moment. 

McGregor was sent off, was playing at centre mid that day. 

We also made a cock up (or did we) of a sub at one point which meant we had 11 people on the pitch after McGregor was sent off. 

Kirk also missed an open goal, quite allot happened in the game tbf. 

Bell I'm sure did get sent off against Raith, maybe the season before in a midweek game? For a horror tackle really. Fleming didn't get sent off for absolutely launching Tade into orbit once though. 

4 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Imagine how excited those Rovers fans were at half time, about to go top of the table with two games to play.

It would be heartbreaking if it wasn’t so funny.

I was still pretty confident at half time. 

I know it's been done to death, but McGlynns team selection that day was bad, really bad. When McNeil came out for the second half I was pretty confident he'd throw at least one in. There's no way McGurn would've let that free kick in. 

Had a quick look at the lineups and Raith only made one sub that day, and it was with six minutes left. 

Allan Walker was a weird one, he seemed to be absolutely incredible that season, then he just seemed to fall of a cliff. 

8 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

That was it.

Raith that season also “decided” to not win the league because it would have “cost too much” and one of the wee team fans cried to the papers that his PTSD was set off by seeing Sammy The Tammy in a cardboard box.

Nah Dunfermline shat their collective  frillies that Raith were leading the chase after Dundee’s collapse into Admin (again). Spent money they didn’t have to beat a team about to Shit the bed as per. It was funny when your lot fell for the bait. Then spent a shit ton more in the SPL or whatever it was called. The most feeble attempt at a challenge. 

15 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Had a quick look at the lineups and Raith only made one sub that day, and it was with six minutes left.  

Which shows how far JMcG has evolved in substitute usage. Now he uses his first sub with 20-25 minutes to go, the second with 8-10 to go and the last at the 89’ mark!

21 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I know it's been done to death, but McGlynns team selection that day was bad, really bad. When McNeil came out for the second half I was pretty confident he'd throw at least one in. There's no way McGurn would've let that free kick in. 

Allan Walker was a weird one, he seemed to be absolutely incredible that season, then he just seemed to fall of a cliff. 

I would have subbed McNeil after about 20 minutes in that match. It was terrifying watching him in that first half. 

Yeah Walker was good in our first season up, excellent in that season but then declined rapidly after it. I think he had one more season for us, then a year or two at East Fife and I think he ended up at Berwick for a while before he presumably jacked it in. 

41 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Nah Dunfermline shat their collective  frillies that Raith were leading the chase after Dundee’s collapse into Admin (again). Spent money they didn’t have to beat a team about to Shit the bed as per. It was funny when your lot fell for the bait. Then spent a shit ton more in the SPL or whatever it was called. The most feeble attempt at a challenge. 

Our spending in the january wasn't that significant it was just very effective, the two crucial signings being 2 guys not playing for a mid-table spl side,  we see similar signings at this level alot of the time. People also forgot we got sold gibson for a very decent sum that window.

We absolutely didn't spend a shit ton in the SPL year,  that's an insane suggestion, it was a terribly funded squad for that level. 

6 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
On 27/03/2022 at 14:41, Cardle is Magic said:
Seems odd that McGlynn has come away unscathed because he - eventually - gave some meek apology.
He had no issue signing a rapist and I can’t believe he’s not been chased out of the club tbh.

This is a thread about the match. If you not discussing the match then f**k off to the other thread on it.

There has been more than enough discussion on that, then the thread predictably went to shit, last few pages have been a great wholesome nostalgic chat.  If you're upset about that then it only suggests that you've let that game get too you abit much 11 years on.

There has been more than enough discussion on that, then the thread predictably went to shit, last few pages have been a great wholesome nostalgic chat.  If you're upset about that then it only suggests that you've let that game get too you abit much 11 years on.
I'm talking about McGlynn chat , couldn't care about 11 years ago.

1 hour ago, baillieinleeds said:

The bait? Are you genuinely suggesting that Raith only went top just to 'bait' Dunfermline Athletic in to spending money on players in the January window, something which every single club does? That's exceptionally poor 'bait' and makes anyone involved in such a devious plot incredibly stupid, since every club signs players in the January window every season. To summarise, Raith hatched a plan to make Dunfermline do something they were always going to do anyway? And this was funny? This is what you're saying?

We only signed four, two on a free and two on loan, whilst getting a significant sum for Willie Gibson, in that window, as well as Jack Ross retiring shortly after. We actually probably came out of that window with a slight profit due to the cash chucked our way for Gibson. 

As for the season after in the SPL, your claim about the club spending 'a shit ton more' is simply a lie. 10 players were signed over the season, with 12 leaving. Zero transfer fees were paid. Three loans came in and two were loaned out. Can you give figures please on how this constitutes spending 'a shit ton'? Or have you just absolutely made that up too?

50 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I would have subbed McNeil after about 20 minutes in that match. It was terrifying watching him in that first half. 

I mind in the first half there was a poor free kick from us that was floated harmlessly in the box. McNeill came for it and the ball went clean through his hands, going narrowly wide. Amusing stuff. Ironic then that it was our keeper who spilled a howler for the opener.

Edited by DA Baracus

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I mind in the first half there was a poor free kick from us that was floated harmlessly in the box. McNeill came for it and the ball went clean through his hands, going narrowly wide. Amusing stuff. Ironic then that it was our keeper who spilled a howler for the opener.

I can't remember when McNeil's confidence started evaporating, but it was certain visible when we played a few weeks before. A simply ball from a defender saw it bobble a few feet in front of the goal line when McNeil decided against simply hoofing it. I think it ended up out for a corner. I think we ended up drawing that game, and Tade missed a header which looked easier to score after we battled back to 2-2. It was one of those games you felt we had to win, to have a chance. 

1 hour ago, baillieinleeds said:

Must have imagined us selling Gibson to Crawley for £100k.

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Why was McGurn ever dropped?

Can't really remember. Think he might have got an injury. But then McGlynn v1 was prone to the odd tactically questionable move. See 4 holding midfielders playing across the midfield in the 2-1 derby. 

Edited by Broken Algorithms

12 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
27 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I'm talking about McGlynn chat , couldn't care about 11 years ago.

You don’t think discussion about the Raith Rovers manager is relevant to a thread about Dunfermline vs Raith Rovers?

I can understand if you’re embarrassed that the fanbase have collectively pretended it never happened but it’s certainly a valid talking point.

14 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I can't remember when McNeil's confidence started evaporating, but it was certain visible when we played a few weeks before. A simply ball from a defender saw it bobble a few feet in front of the goal line when McNeil decided against simply hoofing it. I think it ended up out for a corner. I think we ended up drawing that game, and Tade missed a header which looked easier to score after we battled back to 2-2. It was one of those games you felt we had to win, to have a chance. 

Aye, he looked utterly shot confident wise in the derby game.

Just recalled another moment in the game where he let a ball bounce in the box instead of catching or punching it, and it went narrowly over. Had some ropy moments second half too, including putting an absolutely nothing header over the bar for the corner Hardie equalised for. 

McNeil for McGurn was worse than any Peter Grant decision. Madness. He was an absolute state that day.

And aye we smashed the bank in the summer following on Paul Burns right enough. Our 3 top performers that season were Kirk, Cardle and Gallagher in goals, so two of which already with the club.

It was plainly obvious thr first game against St Mirren we were fucked.

9 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Can't really remember. Think he might have got an injury. But then McGlynn v1 was prone to the odd tactically questionable move. See 4 holding midfielders playing across the midfield in the 2-1 derby. 

He dropped the ball at a strikers feet against Falkirk to cost a goal.

Regardless, Mcneil should have been hooked at half time at EEP.  

16 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Why was McGurn ever dropped?

My recollection is McGurn was dropped after a game against Morton. We were 2-0 up and Morton ended up coming back to draw 2-2 and the equaliser was a long range daisy cutter. Think McGlynn took the huff with McGurn then. He had signed that useless hoor McNeil and was obviously looking for an excuse to start him. For me that decision killed us. McNeil was hopeless but McGlynn was stubborn/loyal so he didn’t reinstate McGurn.

Looking at Soccerbase McGurn got one more game after that 2-2 draw, then he was dropped. McNeil came in until that fateful league title decider with Pars. Then McNeil was dropped and McGurn came in for the last two games but by then it was fucked. I remember listening to updates from the Pars game while watching us against QoS. Dunfermline were winning (I think against Morton) and our players looked like they knew it was over. Then QoS scored a late winner to just compound the misery, but by then Pars had won the league anyway. 

Happy days.

Edited by Scary Bear