Solar Panels

That would raise red flags to me for a couple of reasons.  Firstly £6.5k seems expensive for a system that size.  Secondly to get a seven year payback it would have to save you £930 a year combined on your electricity bill plus your SEG payment.  I’d be amazed if you can achieve that kind of yearly saving.  I don’t save that kind of money with a larger solar system.
Prices have increased, I've had a few quotes and mine includes the bird proofing and scaffolding which has bumped it up.

The problem with ROI projections is that it has to guess what will happen with energy prices over a long period of time but even if we go with today's prices of 28p a kWh then I need to use 23500 kWh of generated solar to break even. That's not a lot. Assuming Prices go up again in October then it's less again. Over the lifetime of the system it will pay itself back and a lot more.

8 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Prices have increased, I've had a few quotes and mine includes the bird proofing and scaffolding which has bumped it up.

The problem with ROI projections is that it has to guess what will happen with energy prices over a long period of time but even if we go with today's prices of 28p a kWh then I need to use 23500 kWh of generated solar to break even. That's not a lot. Assuming Prices go up again in October then it's less again. Over the lifetime of the system it will pay itself back and a lot more.

You need to use less than 23500.  I assume you have a smart meter and will get SEG so you'll be exporting excess electricity at something like 5p per kWh? 

12 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

I need to use 23500 kWh of generated solar to break even.

It would take 8 years of using 8kwh during the hours of daylight to hit 23,500 - assuming you aren't running a hot tub, that's probably harder than you would think.

If it's a hard shell you may want to look at insulating it!
It's pretty well insulated, I worked out it was costing about 50p a day on my old tariff, on the new rate about £1 a day. Its the devices in the house that use a lot. Family of 5 so a lot of PC, playstation, washing, tumble dryer, oven. My servers use a lot as I do a lot of Virtual Machine stuff during the day.

Hi folks. We were going to look at panels/ASHP but relative's illness and treatment has got in the way. 

I'm not at all technical, so would need to rely on some pretty serious advice. Do folks her have suggestions for independent websites - not ones run by installation companies - so that I can get the calculator out? We are in a detached house with a south facing roof and no buildings or wooded areas that would affect things. 

Cheers! 

5 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Hi folks. We were going to look at panels/ASHP but relative's illness and treatment has got in the way. 

I'm not at all technical, so would need to rely on some pretty serious advice. Do folks her have suggestions for independent websites - not ones run by installation companies - so that I can get the calculator out? We are in a detached house with a south facing roof and no buildings or wooded areas that would affect things. 

Cheers! 

https://great-home.co.uk/solar-export-guarantee-seg-calculator/

• 3 weeks later...

Finally!

Home Energy Scotland (HES) Finally approved my loan for solar panels after quite a while.

Their systems went down for about 2 weeks just as I was ready to apply, so eventually I was able to get my application submitted, after 17 days got my approval through yesterday, had to print off the loan doc (18 pages) to sign one page and then scan the whole thing and email it back with various other items such as proof of name and address.

Will hopefully get my install date in the next few days. Spending time now looking at diverters which take any excess electricity not used and can power the immersion element to heat up my hot water tank instead of gas, that should save a few quid as well but a lot of them are out of stock.

Pity they couldn't apply the same approach to giving out money for home energy improvements as they did for rusting ferries or steel factories but getting there now at least.

• 1 year later...

It's great that you're exploring solar panels to reduce your electricity costs! Having unobstructed south-facing and west-facing roofs is a significant advantage for installing a solar system. Not going for a battery right away can also be a sensible choice, especially if you're at home most of the time. Solar panels can be a great investment, and you're on the right track to make your energy usage more sustainable. If you ever consider adding a battery to your system in the future, you can explore solutions like Residential Energy Storage. Good luck with your solar journey!

Edited by DeanPaladin

Call me cynical (YOU'RE CYNICAL!) but I have a sneaking suspicion that the more folk have renewables installed, the more likely it is that the fekkers will gradually increase the standing charges.

(We shareholders have to get our dividends from somewhere 😐.)

We looked at having solar panels about 5 years ago but didn't go ahead. The payback period was about 17 years. Given increases in electricity costs since, that perhaps wasn't the right decision!

11 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Call me cynical (YOU'RE CYNICAL!) but I have a sneaking suspicion that the more folk have renewables installed, the more likely it is that the fekkers will gradually increase the standing charges.

(We shareholders have to get our dividends from somewhere 😐.)

We looked at having solar panels about 5 years ago but didn't go ahead. The payback period was about 17 years. Given increases in electricity costs since, that perhaps wasn't the right decision!

You have until Friday to have your say on it.  Get them telt.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/launch-review-standing-charges-energy-bills