Darvel FC Thread

3 hours ago, beaver watch said:

As a supporter for well on 50+ years, recently the drama's of the money backed clubs that have appeared over the last 25 years always have the same outcome. Two of the most famous examples are now languishing in league one after their day in the sun and I have a feeling Darvel are going the same way. To me their rise to the top just like the other two incumbents was way too quick.  To me cash hasn't ruined our game it's the way it's spent.  Clubs are too eager to line players pockets rather than invest in the infrastructure or to promote the younger talent. I have no dislike for Darvel as a club, but the shenanigans of certain people over the last few seasons was well out of order and has damaged relations with other clubs. 

I honestly feel that the Legend knows what's around the corner, he's a proud supporter who has seen the same amount of cash backed clubs as I have gone down the plug hole. 

Thats not true. Hurlford did it in season 1999/00. In season 1992 part of the stadium were vandalized and sure it was set on fire and every season after they finished dead last of the bottom league or thereabout as any money they had went into the club to try and build it back up. Then before season 99/00 a new chairman took over, he had hotel business and other business and he put a lot of money into Hurlford buying premier league caliber players and they job was to win promotion. They did so and the club then put more money in the following season, think after the money then kinda dried up they were relegated but had enough to bounce back and then new chairman took over, more money came in, started buying higher level of player and thus, now, they are considered a premier league team, remembering that this  was at the same time their amateur team started paying money to their players but unsure if they were connected to the same people..

Agree, the money wont last with any team but its about putting a good foundation in and watch the club during theirs highs and lows, which happens to every team.  As I've said before Darvel will eventually reach the level that they should be once the money goes but right now they are good enough to be in the premier league but if the money leaves they may drop down a division or two as their average crowds wont be enough to keep the club sustainable at the premier level which will happen, I'd say this will happen to most clubs who have money for a while but the best thing that has come out of all of this is that Darvel have a nice little stadium and park for the future.

12 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Thats not true. Hurlford did it in season 1999/00. In season 1992 part of the stadium were vandalized and sure it was set on fire and every season after they finished dead last of the bottom league or thereabout as any money they had went into the club to try and build it back up. Then before season 99/00 a new chairman took over, he had hotel business and other business and he put a lot of money into Hurlford buying premier league caliber players and they job was to win promotion. They did so and the club then put more money in the following season, think after the money then kinda dried up they were relegated but had enough to bounce back and then new chairman took over, more money came in, started buying higher level of player and thus, now, they are considered a premier league team, remembering that this  was at the same time their amateur team started paying money to their players but unsure if they were connected to the same people..

Agree, the money wont last with any team but its about putting a good foundation in and watch the club during theirs highs and lows, which happens to every team.  As I've said before Darvel will eventually reach the level that they should be once the money goes but right now they are good enough to be in the premier league but if the money leaves they may drop down a division or two as their average crowds wont be enough to keep the club sustainable at the premier level which will happen, I'd say this will happen to most clubs who have money for a while but the best thing that has come out of all of this is that Darvel have a nice little stadium and park for the future.

The biggest shift in the game is that it has always been one team at a time going nuts at it which was easier for clubs that live within their means to contend with , nowadays it's about half a dozen teams going complete and utter bonkers at it in their quest to join the old firm in ten years,  ambition is ambition but it's a dangerous dream that can quite easily bite them on their arses while the more sensible clubs will still be around doing what we do. 

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Thejackdaw said:

The biggest shift in the game is that it has always been one team at a time going nuts at it which was easier for clubs that live within their means to contend with , nowadays it's about half a dozen teams going complete and utter bonkers at it in their quest to join the old firm in ten years,  ambition is ambition but it's a dangerous dream that can quite easily bite them on their arses while the more sensible clubs will still be around doing what we do. 

Agreed, it happens most years with a team now and then but recently there's been a few past few seasons.   Yeah think its about running the club the best way to make them viable and long lasting.  But if we are realistic and everyone of us is honest that if we came into money and could do what we want, would you put money into a club you support etc... to make them more successful than they are?  Think many would but again, is about being run what we think is the best way,  Regarding  money coming into a team, this just isn't a WOSFL thing with Darvel throwing money into signing players, It happens in most leagues at one time or another with a team coming into money and splashing the cash

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

3 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Agreed, it happens most years with a team now and then but recently there's been a few past few seasons.   Yeah think its about running the club the best way to make them viable and long lasting.  But if we are realistic and everyone of us is honest that if we came into money and could do what we want, would you put money into a club to make them more successful than they are?  Think many would but again, is about being run what we think is the best way,  Regarding  money coming into a team, this just isn't a WOSFL thing with Darvel throwing money into signing players, It happens in most leagues at one time or another with a team coming into money and splashing the cash

Everyone can go down the ' what if one of your fans won the euro millions ' scenario but I'm seeing the two biggest hitters -one from my child hood in kilwinning rangers -in the mcluckie era now down the way from the top league and medda from the noughties- now Down into the same league as the buffs and the mad money they both spent was never sustainable   .

We now have six or seven clubs going even more mental at it and to try and get to a level that east kilbride have spent multi millions trying to get out of  without any joy and it's good to see ambition but there needs to be a bit of realism and longevity and it seldom happens in my experience with these types.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Thejackdaw said:

Everyone can go down the ' what if one of your fans won the euro millions ' scenario but I'm seeing the two biggest hitters -one from my child hood in kilwinning rangers -in the mcluckie era now down the way from the top league and medda from the noughties- now Down into the same league as the buffs and the mad money they both spent was never sustainable   .

We now have six or seven clubs going even more mental at it and to try and get to a level that east kilbride have spent multi millions trying to get out of  without any joy and it's good to see ambition but there needs to be a bit of realism and longevity and it seldom happens in my experience with these types.

To be honest, I'd say Kilwinning aint down because the money ran out, I'd say they have been badly managed by the current chairman and probably the committee but I cant say as much about the committee as i don't have that much knowledge in it.  The money has dried up a little at Kilwinning but that aint the reason they are down.   

This goes to any club who comes into a lot of money, just because they receive lots of money doesn't mean they will be successful, they need to have the right chairman and committee as they are the ones who pick the manager who they think will make the club successful.

Kilwinning haven't had the so called big money for near a quarter of a century now.

Before that and since then we've been the proverbial yo-yo club.

There's a bit of nonsense often spoken about Buffs in this respect.

3 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

Kilwinning haven't had the so called big money for near a quarter of a century now.

Yeah I agree that Kilwinning haven't been a big money club for 25 years, in that time sometimes they have had more money free to use than other years but that is normal with most clubs.

I've always thought Kilwinning were a premier club as most people have done but they are just badly run past year an a half, thats why i think they are down.  If they get the right manager then I'm sure they will be back up.   

Not sure what people have been saying about kilwinning regarding money but Kilwinning are a club who are one of the biggest in the WOSFL, obviously teams may have more money but in general they are a big WOSFL team.

24 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

I'm very well versed in the fact that the buffs haven't been doing it since the late 90s but all I'm trying to say is that in using a good few examples of teams who did it that it seldom works out well in terms of longevity while the likes of the Talbot always seem to remain .

1 hour ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

To be honest, I'd say Kilwinning aint down because the money ran out, I'd say they have been badly managed by the current chairman and probably the committee but I cant say as much about the committee as i don't have that much knowledge in it.  The money has dried up a little at Kilwinning but that aint the reason they are down.   

This goes to any club who comes into a lot of money, just because they receive lots of money doesn't mean they will be successful, they need to have the right chairman and committee as they are the ones who pick the manager who they think will make the club successful.

What a dumpster fire of a thread when it’s all about Darvel and it ends up slagging off The Buffs committee and chairman!

2 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Darvel's parks a midden after spending a fortune on it. Hurlford were bankrolled a few years ago and paid top dollar to players. The money has gone but a shrewd manager and hard working committee have managed to keep the team in the top division

Anyway the thread is about Darvel and we are taking the thread in a different direction.

29 minutes ago, Thejackdaw said:

I'm very well versed in the fact that the buffs haven't been doing it since the late 90s but all I'm trying to say is that in using a good few examples of teams who did it that it seldom works out well in terms of longevity while the likes of the Talbot always seem to remain .

It's a pretty useless comparison though. Two years ago we were in the premier league and we didn't have big money. Just depends what timeline you want to select to prove your point.

5 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

It's a pretty useless comparison though. Two years ago we were in the premier league and we didn't have big money. Just depends what timeline you want to select to prove your point.

All I'm trying to say is that the current numerous teams doing it can pretty much enjoy their fun while it's never sustainable and I can't think of any example of it being the case.  

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, ibenji said:

What a dumpster fire of a thread when it’s all about Darvel and it ends up slagging off The Buffs committee and chairman!

I'm sorry if you cannot work out why Kilwinning were relegated then sorry.  There's no slagging regarding the committee, I quite clearly state that fact, its just fact the reasons why Kilwinning were relegated.  Kilwinning and Hurlford were mentioned having come into money previously similar to Darvel, sorry you could not work out that connection.

30 minutes ago, beaver watch said:

Darvel's parks a midden after spending a fortune on it. Hurlford were bankrolled a few years ago and paid top dollar to players. The money has gone but a shrewd manager and hard working committee have managed to keep the team in the top division

Anyway the thread is about Darvel and we are taking the thread in a different direction.

I think it quite clear why Hurlford are mentioned and other clubs so it hasn't went down a different direction, the comments are all about previous clubs who at different times spent plenty of  money on their team and what happened when the money well dried up etc...

Agree 100%, Hurlford were bankrolled a few years ago and paid top dollar but they have done it previously but the reason why they are considered a premier league outfit is because the chairmen and committee have all done well for their club, running it sustainably well, that is the reason why Hurlford are still there. 

Will Darvel be still there after the money leaves ?, I doubt it but its a wait and see if and when it happens.

Im hearing Darren miller who was a fans favourite doon the brae was promised a deal at the club for next season , he helped sign a couple of players for next season as they were pals of his and now he’s no getting a deal 🤔🤷‍♂️

what a way to treat people , and so It gos on 

Darvel have signed Ross McKenzie from Johnstone Burgh. Good young  central midfielder who likes to get forward and can also fill in at centre half. Scored some good goals last season but but couldn't get guaranteed start so wanted on transfer list. Might be one that Burgh will regret getting away 

1 hour ago, amnarab said:

Darvel have signed Ross McKenzie from Johnstone Burgh. Good young  central midfielder who likes to get forward and can also fill in at centre half. Scored some good goals last season but but couldn't get guaranteed start so wanted on transfer list. Might be one that Burgh will regret getting away 

A signing that shows the kind of downsizing going on at the club. Not Prem quality imo. 

4 hours ago, Darvel legend said:

Im hearing Darren miller who was a fans favourite doon the brae was promised a deal at the club for next season , he helped sign a couple of players for next season as they were pals of his and now he’s no getting a deal 🤔🤷‍♂️

what a way to treat people , and so It gos on 

You’ve just took that straight off twitter nearly word for word you’ve no heard anything you balloon 😂😂

Chinese whispers as usual, instead of coming on here praising the club for the signings made etc it is always a made up negative post. 

Say it until I’m blue in the face, you are not involved with the club in any capacity you do not know who was offered what etc etc 

2 hours ago, coistysgoldenboots said:

A signing that shows the kind of downsizing going on at the club. Not Prem quality imo. 

Ross McKenzie is most definitely Premier League quality. Sometimes his work rate can let him down but he's got bags of technical ability. I'm sure he'll succeed at Darvel.

1 hour ago, ClubFan87 said:

You’ve just took that straight off twitter nearly word for word you’ve no heard anything you balloon 😂😂

Chinese whispers as usual, instead of coming on here praising the club for the signings made etc it is always a made up negative post. 

Say it until I’m blue in the face, you are not involved with the club in any capacity you do not know who was offered what etc etc 

Jim told me this 2 days ago before Ped had it on Twitter,no doubt you’ll respond with the usual that I’m Jim’s pal etc etc but I don’t comment on many of his posts but this is 100% correct.