Motherwell: European Vacation 2022

Swello

On 24/07/2022 at 09:44, welldaft said:

Because we are no great shakes ourselves. We had played no competitive games to their 25 ! Because we have CB that constantly makes game changing mistakes. Lots of reasons actually. 

Sligo are not a great side but they are fit and very competitive. They were compared to a lower top flight side or more likely a higher end Championship side (by Davie Irons that did some scouting for us). Motherwell have lost plenty times to lower League opposition especially early in the season. Airdrie only last year in the League cup group stages. 

I looked back at some of their past forays into Europe. In 2014 they beat Rosenborg 2-1 in Norway and we’re leading 1-0 in Ireland. So 3-1 up against the most successful team in Norway. They eventually lost 3 goals to lose 4-3 on aggregate. Hoping something similar happens this midweek 🙏. But I have my doubts…..

I'm not buying this "they are in the middle of their season" pish. 3 season ago Rangers demolished Midtjylland 7-3 on aggregate. The ties were played at the beginning of August which was mid season for the Danes. Last year this same team knocked out Celtic in the CL qualifiers. And I've already given the example of Bodo knocking Celtic out the Europa conference league last season despite not having played for months because of their winter break. Motherwell fans can use this as an excuse if they want but in reality they don't have a leg to stand on.

Edited by FredFlintsone

2 hours ago, FredFlintsone said:

I'm not buying this "they are in the middle of their season" pish. 3 season ago Rangers demolished Midtjylland 7-3 on aggregate. The ties were played at the beginning of August which was mid season for the Danes. Last year this same team knocked out Celtic in the CL qualifiers. And I've already given the example of Bodo knocking Celtic out the Europa conference league last season despite not having played for months because of their winter break. Motherwell fans can use this as an excuse if they want but in reality they don't have a leg to stand on.

We’re you at the game Fred ? Curious. Anyone there could see how much fitter and sharper the Sligo players were. 

Oh and for every example you quote there are may other examples which would back up my theory that playing teams well into their season is a huge advantage especially if the opposition are yet to have played just one competitive game. 

No-one is saying that is the only reason but it certainly did not help. 

On 25/07/2022 at 17:48, FredFlintsone said:

Surely they have the second leg to stand on...

On 25/07/2022 at 17:48, FredFlintsone said:

lol, mid season. they'd played 4 games to Rangers having played 1

On 24/07/2022 at 09:44, welldaft said:

I looked back at some of their past forays into Europe. In 2014 they beat Rosenborg 2-1 in Norway and we’re leading 1-0 in Ireland. So 3-1 up against the most successful team in Norway. They eventually lost 3 goals to lose 4-3 on aggregate. Hoping something similar happens this midweek 🙏. But I have my doubts…..

How many of their current squad were involved in 2014? If it's less than half then it's a totally meaningless comparison.

As for saying it's no surprise you lost a European match against a shite Irish side because you lost a year ago to Airdrie...what?

I am up early as I am off to Dublin then Sligo.

So I should not bother responding to Cardle nonsense. 

Not a direct comparison the Rosenborg game. But a pointer that they have had in the past the odd decent away result in Europe. And arguably to a bigger team than Motherwell. Their squad is probably not dissimilar in quality to the one they have now. 

And based on last week I would day they would beat Airdrie more often than not. And Dunfermline for that matter…..My point was not having competitive games is normally quite a leveller between bigger and smaller teams. Hence more shocks in the League Cup groups you see year in year out. 

But finally. I am not arguing the point that we were shit last week. We pretty much were. And if we are the same this evening we will go out the competition. Hoping not but would not b surprised. 

Edited by welldaft