The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

7 minutes ago, an86 said:

We’re surely not letting the silence hang all day? Not asking for a manager to be named. I am asking what we’re doing and who is taking training/the team on Saturday if the new guy isn’t in by then. 

Honestly wouldn’t surprise me if the new manager is announced before Saturday. The reality of the situation is that we’ve got the biggest of the season coming up this weekend and this week would be the perfect time to come in (assuming this Veldman sacking has been in the works for a couple weeks). New appointment this week allows enough time to assess the players and know what’s needed by the time January 1st arrives 

Theres not a chance we can wait until January 31st as we do every single year to bring some new players in. Could be dead and buried by then 

44 minutes ago, an86 said:

Think unsuccessful is a touch unfair. He had a solid first season at a decent level and was sacked after six games this season. It’s even more ruthless down there than up here.

Unless your Exeter City! 

Courts or Bowyer for me. 

3 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Honestly wouldn’t surprise me if the new manager is announced before Saturday. The reality of the situation is that we’ve got the biggest of the season coming up this weekend and this week would be the perfect time to come in (assuming this Veldman sacking has been in the works for a couple weeks). New appointment this week allows enough time to assess the players and know what’s needed by the time January 1st arrives 

Theres not a chance we can wait until January 31st as we do every single year to bring some new players in. Could be dead and buried by then 

The sensible thing would have been sounding folk out when it was clear we were on the trajectory we are on. It’s not nice, but it happens the world over in football when guys are still in place and struggling for results. 

1 hour ago, an86 said:

We’re surely not letting the silence hang all day? Not asking for a manager to be named. I am asking what we’re doing and who is taking training/the team on Saturday if the new guy isn’t in by then. 

Just noticed on the What's on This Week section of the website item 1 is Head Coach Update. Maybe (hoping) this suggests that an early appointment is in the pipeline.

2 hours ago, an86 said:

Think unsuccessful is a touch unfair. He had a solid first season at a decent level and was sacked after six games this season. It’s even more ruthless down there than up here.

I’d also point to someone managing successfully at a higher level, like Stephen Robinson, who has had nowhere close to the season that Brown had in the English lower leagues. We’ve seen a few guys go down there and absolutely tank, which he definitely didn’t do. 

Maybe I'm over-egging it, and the Robinson comparison is a reasonable one, but don't think we have a lot of settling in time to spare either. 

No contact yet, apparently: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67683734

1 hour ago, qpfc said:

1 hour ago, an86 said:

The sensible thing would have been sounding folk out when it was clear we were on the trajectory we are on. It’s not nice, but it happens the world over in football when guys are still in place and struggling for results. 

I would be shocked if some back channel talk hadn’t occurred prior to the punt. I know if I was an out of work Manager, Queen’s Park would have been on my radar for a fair few weeks, and I’d certainly have perused the squad to see if I felt I could get any tune out of them. The main question is what kind of backing will be available? If you want an experienced manager, there’s gonna have to be commitment to a significant window. The team is simply too young and raw for this level, and I’m not sure how you’d attract a competent manager with experience at this level without promising to bring in a half dozen players.

Listening to how QPFC’s management strategy and competency is discussed, I have a very sinking feeling the next appointment could well shock a lot of people. I’d look to a youngish League Two or below manager as the winning candidate. The Board doesn’t give a rats ass what the fans want/believe/need, that’s clear. They aren’t likely to be willing (or able) to invest in the necessary expenses to get a good hire…so they’ll row the boat out and try to pluck Excalibur from the Lady of the Lowland League…

Good luck, lads, I just feel you’re gonna need it.

All the candidates mentioned on here are currently out of work. We put in an interim solution before while we waited for Owen Coyle. I wonder if we might go that way again.  Maybe just take someone with a bit of nous to give us a fighting chance of staying in the division on a short term basis with a view to throwing some of the money that everyone is convinced we have at someone who's contract is due to end in the summer. Someone like Ian Murray perhaps?

1 hour ago, Anonymous Spider said:

It's not hard QP...

We thank RV for his efforts. Results not improved so x,y,z. We’ve still got a commitment to CAS status and youth dev. We aim to take our time / move quickly (delete as needed). (Add name) will take charge until (xxx). Thanks for your continued support.

I think Veldman should have been given more time and a transfer window where additions could have been made. However, he was not given that opportunity. Surely, someone must be in control about Saturday, organising training, motivating players, tactics etc? If so, why can't this name be shared? If no one is in control it does not give confidence. Even if a manager is appointed this week, they would not be in a position to take the team for a crucial match in 5 days? Previously, it was announced that Spiers and Grant were in charge and that arrangement never appeared to have been implemented. I hope there is serious thinking going on about what is happening on Saturday? There are a number of coaches available, can we just know which one?

6 minutes ago, Tangled web said:

All the candidates mentioned on here are currently out of work. We put in an interim solution before while we waited for Owen Coyle. I wonder if we might go that way again.  Maybe just take someone with a bit of nous to give us a fighting chance of staying in the division on a short term basis with a view to throwing some of the money that everyone is convinced we have at someone who's contract is due to end in the summer. Someone like Ian Murray perhaps?

No way Murray is leaving a club challenging for the title and not being run by jesters for this absolute rabble. 

I reckon it will be Wednesday before we announce a new coach and that would going some

If we haven't got someone lined up then I would expect yesterday was spent making enquiries. Today ideally talking to the front runners. Tuesday would be taking a decision and sorting out the legals.  Wednesday say hello to Malky 😱

1 hour ago, Tangled web said:

I share your view on an interim appointment and it worries me. It's all very well getting a coach for Saturday but the whole set-up is under review now. Part of the annual accounts sign-off is the auditors section and whilst they don't publish next year's plan, it is something they want to see in detail from a governance perspective. With two weeks notice required for the AGM, which has to happen before the year end, they've now got less than a week to firm up their 2024 business plan.

They cynically used Mark Roberts and Lawrie Ellis for a short term but both of those were about not trusting them in a January window. Conversely, any new manager of note will want assurances of what he has to spend. To get the accounts done and buy them time, a short termer is likely but that unfortunately means it's most likely someone who is desperate to get back in the game. As much as I want some fun back on the Saturdays, sacrificing the long-term plan would be the end of us at this level.

5 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I share your view on an interim appointment and it worries me. It's all very well getting a coach for Saturday but the whole set-up is under review now. Part of the annual accounts sign-off is the auditors section and whilst they don't publish next year's plan, it is something they want to see in detail from a governance perspective. With two weeks notice required for the AGM, which has to happen before the year end, they've now got less than a week to firm up their 2024 business plan.

They cynically used Mark Roberts and Lawrie Ellis for a short term but both of those were about not trusting them in a January window. Conversely, any new manager of note will want assurances of what he has to spend. To get the accounts done and buy them time, a short termer is likely but that unfortunately means it's most likely someone who is desperate to get back in the game. As much as I want some fun back on the Saturdays, sacrificing the long-term plan would be the end of us at this level.

When you read it like that, there cannot be a worse run full-time club in Scottish football. So many clubs doing an awful lot more with an awful lot less. 

On 10/12/2023 at 09:14, Gall09 said:

McKenna was excellent before his injury and perfect at playing what was basically a sweeper role. Like you say, now that the Dutchmen are away i doubt that will be a priority.

Incredible how badly we have fucked this season up ☹️

Excellent shot stopper and good distribution but for a keeper of his size he has no idea when to come for a cross ball. He is however very young and surely this is something the goalkeeping coach should be helping him with.

7 hours ago, Dooflick said:

Well there is a suprise.

On 10/12/2023 at 10:53, Bring Your Own Socks said:

If there’s been one consistently good thing these past few years it’s been the highlights package from the media team. 👏🏻

And a nod to @Dooflick …the goal of the game was the third Caley goal, scored by some lad called Wotherspoon. 

Apologies Dooflick, I credited another yesterday so I've corrected it now. 

2 hours ago, Tangled web said:

2 hours ago, an86 said:

No way Murray is leaving a club challenging for the title and not being run by jesters for this absolute rabble. 

Pretty sure IM is gonna have options in the Premiership soon enough...either with Raith or where ever.

Interestingly, I suspect with LH sitting there unused a lot of possible managers will look at that and wonder why they might want to work for a club that thought that was a good design. Let's face it, that's not a Championship "stadia", and says something about the vision of the club leaders. 

14 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Pretty sure IM is gonna have options in the Premiership soon enough...either with Raith or where ever.

Interestingly, I suspect with LH sitting there unused a lot of possible managers will look at that and wonder why they might want to work for a club that thought that was a good design. Let's face it, that's not a Championship "stadia", and says something about the vision of the club leaders. 

I don't think any potential manager is going to even remotely care about Lesser Hampden when we're not actually playing there (if the offer is right), to be honest.

12 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I don't think any potential manager is going to even remotely care about Lesser Hampden when we're not actually playing there (if the offer is right), to be honest.

That’s where I think you’re wrong. Hampden isn’t the solution, it’s part of the problem. The club faces a decision, Lesser Hampden is either a ridiculous white elephant, in which case all the monies spent there are effectively lost, or their home, in which case QP is a League One/Two club.

Either way, you face a lack a the stability any competent and interesting manager would look for in a speculative job…and don’t under-estimate that, QPFC is a speculative job, nothing is assured.

Lesser Hampden, with a demolished/reworked Royal Box, could conceivably work as a Championship stadia, but as is it simply isn’t suitable to purpose. If you are a manager, are you willing to move to a team with no home? The clusterf**k that is using Hampden for home matches simply can’t continue.

The SFA already has commented on the increasing fixture load and need for facilities. Could it be QPFC will resume wandering next year because the SFA decline to allow use of Hampden and after selling Lesser to the SFA? I think it’s a genuine possibility, as the clubs leadership doesn’t seem to have a clue.

I think a candidate is looking at a number of things. Playing staff, budget, and facilities. They’re also looking at the people they’re potentially working for. The job is not as attractive to decent candidates as it has been in recent years. The two managers who’ve done the best jobs have been dumped or walked because they don’t like what or who they’re working with. That’s a big red flag for anyone looking to progress their career. 

I think it’s the fans who are more bothered about where we play on a Saturday. Players and staff are fine as long as their training facilities are decent and they’re being paid.