The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

1 minute ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

Turner was the worst in our midfield of Jacks today. Very disappointing. He needs to get his head in the game ASAP. He failed to link up with Spong and Paton and was the weakest link in our passing play. I was surprised when Jarrett came on for Thompson rather than Turner. 

We need to sign a striker... like tomorrow morning. We just can't rely on Paton the whole season. 

I think I was at a different game 

Hi guys. In August last year Ross McLean - a very good friend’s brother - committed suicide in Glenrothes. Ross was reported missing on August 14 and we searched for him for 5 days, before finding him at rest in a quiet wooded area near his home. Ross’ family are understandably devastated by their loss and that they were unable to help Ross, but are determined that for others in a similar position, there is help available. 

Ross was and his family are East Fife supporters, so we will be taking part in a charity 11s game to celebrate Ross’ life at Bayview a week today, with all funds raised for the fantastic charity - Back Onside. A just giving page has already raised nearly £5,000, and we have managed to secure signed strips for a number of clubs, Queen’s Park being one. The strip is available below, and all money raised will go to Back Onside to help those who need it. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364414730884?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=az5yphsksue&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=ec0uwzxiswu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

There is also a donations page, if you’d like to donate anything:

https://www.justgiving.com/page/matchforross

Edited by Hank Scorpio

Scott Burns is linking us with Robbie Ure, apparently training with the team right now. Came through at Rangers, made a couple of first team appearances, and if I'm not mistaken rejected a new deal there this year. He's a striker so that's good news.

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Hi guys. In August last year Ross McLean - a very good friend’s brother - committed suicide in Glenrothes. Ross was reported missing on August 14 and we searched for him for 5 days, before finding him at rest in a quiet wooded area near his home. Ross’ family are understandably devastated by their loss and that they were unable to help Ross, but are determined that for others in a similar position, there is help available. 

Ross was and his family are East Fife supporters, so we will be taking part in a charity 11s game to celebrate Ross’ life at Bayview a week today, with all funds raised for the fantastic charity - Back Onside. A just giving page has already raised nearly £5,000, and we have managed to secure signed strips for a number of clubs, Queen’s Park being one. The strip is available below, and all money raised will go to Back Onside to help those who need it. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364414730884?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=az5yphsksue&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=ec0uwzxiswu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

There is also a donations page, if you’d like to donate anything:

https://www.justgiving.com/page/matchforross

Sorry for your loss and I cannot imagine the pain that the family are going through.  To have the strength and courage to then help others is remarkable.  

Glad to see clubs have rallied to the cause - I look forward to donating.

All the very best for the fundraising and the game.

7 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Scott Burns is linking us with Robbie Ure, apparently training with the team right now. Came through at Rangers, made a couple of first team appearances, and if I'm not mistaken rejected a new deal there this year. He's a striker so that's good news.

Didn't/don't know much about him but having had a quick search looks like he was on the verge of a move earlier this year to none other than......AZ Alkmaar!  Article states that he was looking for more first team football but wages were an issue and that Rangers would be due compensation(?)

Edited by Spider1975

20 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

That would be sensational if a deal could be done.

3 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

Didn't/don't know much about him but having had a quick search looks like he was on the verge of a move earlier this year to none other than......AZ Alkmaar!  Article states that he was looking for more first team football but wages were an issue and that Rangers would be due compensation(?)

He’s a free agent at the moment, as of June.

https://www.rangers.co.uk/article/five-sign-new-deals-ahead-of-exciting-academy-campaign/2dsRYsRVTEW8SBQVrBlDot

image.thumb.png.89e09c99952935c063ddeea900703ac6.png

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

20 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I believe he was offered an extension by Rangers which he knocked back, so anyone that signs him will need to pay compensation to Rangers.

No idea how much that would be but I'm guessing as he was with them a few years, it could be quite substantial.

You’d assume if we’ve brought him in for training, we’re already aware and possibly prepared to pay whatever is due if the management team ultimately decide to sign him 

Scored 17 in the lowland league with Rangers B last season from what I’ve seen so at least he’s got a taster of men’s football 

5 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Are Queens now playing all their games at Lesser/CityPark thought there was word of some games at Hampden but did not think you could chop & change venues

Our registered home venue this season (and where we'll be playing from now on) is Hampden, we were just using Lesser for the cup and first home league game of the season as there was a concert and now the pitch is getting relaid. 

2 hours ago, peternapper said:

Fair enough just wondered with some games being played at the new place, was fairly sure that league games had to give other teams the same amount of games as each other. You could ask Clyde to come and run in City Park for you they like new surroundings 😀

If it hadn't been for a concert and the upcoming Scotland games, I think we'd have been in Hampden for the start of the season. The arrangement will be at the insistence of the SFA.

On your suggestion re a Clyde move, I'd rather we bulldozed the place.

Along with most folk on here, I am not adverse to criticising the club where I feel it is deserved, so it's only fair to give credit where it is equally deserved.

Take a quick stroll through other team's threads on here and you will almost universally find fans wailing and gnashing their teeth about their club's shortcomings in the transfer window. "They haven't signed enough players / haven't signed good enough players / haven't signed players in the right positions"

Queen's, on the other hand seem to have recruited early and wisely and the squad looks pretty complete - especially if we do sign Robbie Ure. This is all the more remarkable as we had no head coach in place until the 3rd week in June.

Well done!!

... now about the "City Stadium"...

The odd nature of the rescheduling and back to back, this early in the season, adds an element of intrigue to this one. Not very often you get the chance to go five points clear after three games!

Thought we were miles ahead of Arbroath on the technical front, but they showed they can still damage us. We need to be just that bit more ruthless in the final third, as they should never have been allowed back into it on Saturday.

Gayfield was kind to us last season. Could make an argument for the Christmas game being our best showing. We were exceptional that night. This league isn’t one for predicting, though. It’ll be a rarity to get away with not playing well and managing to get a result. We’ll need to be on it again. Hoping we can take a decent support up for what’s arguably the best away day in the country.

Edited by an86

This from Scott Burns again:

Queen's star attracts EPL scouts

Arsenal and Southampton both ran the rule over Queen’s Park youngster Callan McKenna at the weekend.

The Gunners and the Saints had scouts to watch the keeper in action in their weekend win over Arbroath.

Premiership rivals Brighton are already in talks with Queens to try and land their 16-year-old keeper.

The Seagulls, however, could face competition with Arsenal having a prominent scout at the game. Southampton have been long-term admirers and their interest was flagged up more than a year ago by former scout Kevin Hamill.

They have since upped their interest and it is likely that Premiership interest would be too strong for Saints to take him down to the Championship.