The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

There was chat on our forum from someone who thought Carse might be heading to us but it might’ve been nothing. 

Is he a defensive midfielder? 

15 hours ago, qpfc said:

Read an article on Twitter re tweeted by Scott burns today which mentioned that we’re apparently trying to sign Danny Imray from Crystal Palace. Right back 20 years old. Says he’s been scouted and watched by Davidson. Desperately need that right back position sorted. Been an issue for a couple seasons now.

I’m glad to see we’re strengthening the RB position. I like the look of Mauchin, but I do think he’s still in the ‘one for the future’ category. He’s had a steep learning curve this season and I don’t think he’s quite ready to hold down the starting position. 

Longridge did an admirable job covering but he isn’t the solution imo. Both Boateng’s from Palace looked decent, so hopefully this is another good player. Palace’s account seem to be claiming him as an attacking full-back also, as a converted no.10. In his recent game v Liverpool U-21’s he also had three shots. Could be promising if we’re sticking with the wing-backs. 

Agreed on needing another CB: Reid, Fox, Bannon & Wilson are solid, but if we’re playing with 3 CB’s, I think we need at least another for cover. 

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

I’m glad to see we’re strengthening the RB position. I like the look of Mauchin, but I do think he’s still in the ‘one for the future’ category. He’s had a steep learning curve this season and I don’t think he’s quite ready to hold down the starting position. 

Longridge did an admirable job covering but he isn’t the solution imo. Both Boateng’s from Palace looked decent, so hopefully this is another good player. Palace’s account seem to be claiming him as an attacking full-back also, as a converted no.10. In his recent game v Liverpool U-21’s he also had three shots. Could be promising if we’re sticking with the wing-backs. 

Agreed on needing another CB: Reid, Fox, Bannon & Wilson are solid, but if we’re playing with 3 CB’s, I think we need at least another for cover. 

Still get an element of fear signing young guys from down south given how horrendous some of them have been in recent years but Josh Scott proved that with the right scouting, you can find some gems. Far more confident in Davidson identifying if a young player is capable for the rigours of the Scottish championship compared to Beuker and his IPad 

Right back, centre back and another experienced central midfielder would be my priority areas for recruitment this summer. Some quality depth wouldn’t go amiss also. I love Sean Welsh and thankfully he’s not had any injuries since he joined but his career suggests that’s he’s almost guaranteed to pick up a couple injuries throughout an entire season. Would make sure a couple experienced heads are brought in that area as we looked overrun and short of options in midfield come the end of the season 

Worry that a team might bid for Jack Thomson at some point. Knew there were a couple links with Carlisle back in January. In my opinion, he’s proved he’s capable of making the step up. Been excellent to see how much he’s developed since he joined back in league 1 

There’s no doubts a couple bids will be put in for Paton, you’d be silly not to. 22 goals, 23 years old and 2 years left on his deal. Realistically what type of fee should we be holding out for him if teams are to come in ? 

Edited by qpfc

Hopefully it’s a real positive that Davidson’s had 6 months to get to know the team & players. 

A chance for some momentum to hopefully build through pre-season which I don’t think we’ve had for a while. 

18 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

There was chat on our forum from someone who thought Carse might be heading to us but it might’ve been nothing. 

Is he a defensive midfielder? 

He is more of an attacking midfielder, didn't get much game time with us.

10 hours ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

We’ve also got Tizzard at CB who has been excellent since Davidson arrived.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Spider Force said:

We’ve also got Tizzard at CB who has been excellent since Davidson arrived.

Yeah fair play to Tizzard. I concluded on here a few months back that he was a lost cause under Veldman and honestly thought he wouldn’t have made it past January at the club but Davidson has thankfully got a tune out of him. Had a wee bit of digging and since Davidson joined the club, Tizzard started 6 matches and 5 of which have resulted in clean sheets. In fact, across the entire league season we kept 11 sheets and he started in 7 of them which isn’t bad going for someone who only started 14 league matches. Not going to start saying he’s the 2nd coming of Baresi but shows he’s having a positive influence on the pitch nowadays. He’s raw in certain areas and does still make me nervous at times but I think he’s in for a good year next season 

Edited by qpfc

I feel signing a centre back should be a bit of a priority as it will allow Thomson to move back into his more natural position.

watched a few palace u-21 highlights and the lad we’re linked to seems to be a goalscoring full-back. I’d like to think davidson can recognise a fullback when he sees one so fingers crossed on that.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, pmonigatti said:

I feel signing a centre back should be a bit of a priority as it will allow Thomson to move back into his more natural position.

watched a few palace u-21 highlights and the lad we’re linked to seems to be a goalscoring full-back. I’d like to think davidson can recognise a fullback when he sees one so fingers crossed on that.

Luis Longstaff looked like an English Arjen Robben in his Liverpool highlights package. I can’t trust them. 

Agree about getting Thomson back into centre mid though. 

Edited by Gall09

11 hours ago, qpfc said:

I concluded on here a few months back that he was a lost cause under Veldman and honestly thought he wouldn’t have made it past January at the club but Davidson has thankfully got a tune out of him. Had a wee bit of digging and since Davidson joined the club, Tizzard started 6 matches and 5 of which have resulted in clean sheets

I think we all had, but ain't it wonderful and life affirming how a positive influence and man management style, (plus playing with two aside and not one) can make such a change.

If it looks like we are now playing that 3/5 at the back formation then a dynamic, progressive RWB is a must and certainly if Danny Imray is anything like Josh Scott then we'll be onto a winner and the RHS has been the weaker for a number of years now; how many sticking plaster RB's have we had since L2?

Get the concerns with young talent from down south but on the whole I think we've struck if not gold then promise more often than not.  Longstaff a disappointment and [David?] Boateng didn't last long, but in the last few years Fox, Mal Boateng, Turner, Spong & Tizzard have all shown to be capable of playing at Championship level.

3 hours ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Sorry if mentioned before - don’t want to read through the past 50 pages - but any new stadium news?  Any plans for further work at lesser and to play there in the future?

No immediate plans re: Lesser. Davidson gave out significant hints that the plan is to be at Hampden next year in a post-match interview.

1 hour ago, Spider1975 said:

Get the concerns with young talent from down south but on the whole I think we've struck if not gold then promise more often than not.  Longstaff a disappointment and [David?] Boateng didn't last long, but in the last few years Fox, Mal Boateng, Turner, Spong & Tizzard have all shown to be capable of playing at Championship level.

Marcel Oakley was pretty poor too but I feel like it was a case of the wrong place at the wrong time. If he'd been involved earlier on that season when we were dominating games I think he'd have looked like a totally different player.

I know he's Scottish, but it was the youth setup down south we got him from so you also can't forget Connor McBride. Comfortably the worst of them all IMO; a horrendous footballer.

Still, Davidson's signings have all been spot on so far, presumably because he uses his eyes and brain to pick his targets rather than an algorithm so I have faith in him.

40 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Still, Davidson's signings have all been spot on so far, presumably because he uses his eyes and brain to pick his targets rather than an algorithm so I have faith in him.

He seems to have a lot of contacts in the game, and uses their judgement.

A raft of our loan signings were signed based on the words of others without being scouted properly. Some were great, some weren't.

Your boy Danny Imray is a client of Allan Prestons agency, as an example, as was Danny Wilson. Stuart McKinstry is too.

Don't be surprised if you get loanees with history of Brighton, due to David Weir being there. We signed Lars Dendoncker from there with nobody ever seeing him play a game.

That's not me saying that's the right approach or not, it's just how he made signings a lot for us.

46 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He seems to have a lot of contacts in the game, and uses their judgement.

A raft of our loan signings were signed based on the words of others without being scouted properly. Some were great, some weren't.

Your boy Danny Imray is a client of Allan Prestons agency, as an example, as was Danny Wilson. Stuart McKinstry is too.

Don't be surprised if you get loanees with history of Brighton, due to David Weir being there. We signed Lars Dendoncker from there with nobody ever seeing him play a game.

That's not me saying that's the right approach or not, it's just how he made signings a lot for us.

Interesting! McKinstry was signed by the previous regime, but that does make me wonder if we might offer him another (short-ish term) deal.

He's been awful for the most part, but a full pre-season under his belt might make a difference. It was clear we were meant to be a stepping stone but I doibt clubs will be queuing up for his signature now.

5 hours ago, Gall09 said:

Luis Longstaff looked like an English Arjen Robben in his Liverpool highlights package. I can’t trust them. 

Agree about getting Thomson back into centre mid though. 

I agree about Thomson, but that would leave the question of how you fit Thomson, Welsh, Savoury & Thomas into Davidson's preferred 5:3:2 formation.

I am, of course, assuming that Savoury is fit, still here & back to his best.

29 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Interesting! McKinstry was signed by the previous regime, but that does make me wonder if we might offer him another (short-ish term) deal.

He's been awful for the most part, but a full pre-season under his belt might make a difference. It was clear we were meant to be a stepping stone but I doibt clubs will be queuing up for his signature now.

I think he’ll get a deal, reading between the lines in Davidson’s end of season review. Motherwell fans seemed to rate him, and he showed a couple of fleeting glimpses in the latter stages of the season. If the folk who see him every day think he’s worth a punt, then fair enough.

Some players are slow burners. Wouldn’t have believed Thomson would develop into the player he has after the first few months. Not played a lot of first team football in his career, which is maybe something it’s tough to take into account as a punter. Our expectations, mine included, were maybe a wee bit high. 

43 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I thought McKinstry was good at Motherwell, and was surprised a top flight side didn't pick him up tbh. Reading how poor he's been in your threads was a surprise and I wonder if he's one who'll take a while to realise he needs to use his talents at this level to get higher rather than his CV?