The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

24 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

If a friendly fixture with the Premier league champions doesn't excite then what will?  Personally the Celtic fixture is probably the only one in July that tempts me. No disrespect intended to Peterhead and Co but I've got other things I could be doing on my Summer Saturdays. I would like an away day in Leith for the Hibs game  but a Tuesday night fixture makes that a very tricky ask with work so I reckon I'll end up watching that at home. 

A few good signing announcements might change my mind though but until then I'll probably wait until August to catch a game.

If anyone was desperate to see Celtic, they could pick up a ticket with relative ease about twenty times per season. Saturated media coverage in a city obsessed with two teams. As with most fixtures of this nature, it will be about Celtic rather than Queen’s Park. I’m sure we all remember the unedifying rolling of the red carpet for Rangers in 2012. I’ll go to it because it’s free for me, but there are a million other fixtures I’d rather play. 

Would genuinely rather have an annnual fixture with Pollok. One year at Lesser, next year at Newlandsfield. Gate receipts to the local food bank or something. Something that would genuinely be relatable to the local area. I’d bet anything you’d have more of our core support willing to pay a tenner or twelve quid for that than pay £15 for a game that is ostensibly about our benefactor entertaining guests. 
Edited by an86

58 minutes ago, an86 said:

If anyone was desperate to see Celtic, they could pick up a ticket with relative ease about twenty times per season. Saturated media coverage in a city obsessed with two teams. As with most fixtures of this nature, it will be about Celtic rather than Queen’s Park. I’m sure we all remember the unedifying rolling of the red carpet for Rangers in 2012. I’ll go to it because it’s free for me, but there are a million other fixtures I’d rather play. 

Would genuinely rather have an annnual fixture with Pollok. One year at Lesser, next year at Newlandsfield. Gate receipts to the local food bank or something. Something that would genuinely be relatable to the local area. I’d bet anything you’d have more of our core support willing to pay a tenner or twelve quid for that than pay £15 for a game that is ostensibly about our benefactor entertaining guests. 

I have bought a ticket for the Sellick game - i'm not wildly excited about it but I'm not going to Methil or Peterhead & probably won't go to Easter Road. 
I think an annual Pollok match would be great - can someone not put up a trophy - the South Side Super Cup?

1 hour ago, an86 said:

I was working abroad when Rangers came to Hampden so was unaware of the unedifying red carpet.  Like the idea of a friendly with Pollok though.

Edited by Stuntiethumper

13 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Expect this has been answered already but see Rangers might need to use Hampden given Ibrox is falling down - does this mean alternate weekends with QP, or will you guys be bumped to Friday nights again?

Might happen tbf. Davidson mentioned his liking for Friday nights. My hope would be that the fans would be consulted on this before any decision was made. Would have to think we’d have first dibs, given the agreement is already in place.

Personally, I don’t mind the odd Friday night at Hampden. It was far more of an issue when it was at Stenny. My overall preference would be Saturday at 3pm, but I’d be willing to listen if it was going to be worth our while. If it was a simple case of being asked to move out of the goodness of our hearts, it would be a straight and hard no from me. 

I rarely attend preseason friendlies but I have bought a ticket for this one. I wonder if one or two of the lads turning out for Celtic may appear in our first team this season? We always seem to have a Celtic loanee. I like the Pollok suggestion tbf. As for Friday night football - not keen. 

Last year's pre-season friendly at Lesser was a Queen's Park B team (although with no advance warning that it would be a B side) versus a fairly strong Livingston which cost a fiver admission. Fifteen quid for a pre-season game which will feature a very thin QP squad versus a Celtic side of unknown strength seems a bit steep to me. These pre-season games are glorified training sessions and not really worth such an admission price.

22 minutes ago, Spidersmad said:

Last year's pre-season friendly at Lesser was a Queen's Park B team (although with no advance warning that it would be a B side) versus a fairly strong Livingston which cost a fiver admission. Fifteen quid for a pre-season game which will feature a very thin QP squad versus a Celtic side of unknown strength seems a bit steep to me. These pre-season games are glorified training sessions and not really worth such an admission price.

Add to the fact that Lesser is also an absolutely rubbish place to watch football and it’s even less of an attraction. 

4 minutes ago, an86 said:

Add to the fact that Lesser is also an absolutely rubbish place to watch football and it’s even less of an attraction. 

even worse, they are forcing me to drink Tennent's Lager if I want a pint in Bar 1867 before the game
image.png.0a602b2d87c10b5a49323b6acca763bc.png

13 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Are you guys entering a B team in the league system, or do they currently exist in whatever the youth leagues are? Also, do you have a centre-half we can borrow for the season?

https://dumbartonfootballclub.com/crighton-departs/

They're already in the reserve league/cup.

Unfortunately we barely have enough centre-halves for ourselves!

3 minutes ago, Adam Rendall said:

Don’t know how to feel going into this season. 

what is everyone’s expectations ? 

stay up? play offs? etc 

I think we should be solid mid-table but we'll need more depth in the squad to really compete. Final opinion once will probably change when we know what (if any?) signings we make before the transfer window closes at the end of August.

3 minutes ago, Adam Rendall said:

Don’t know how to feel going into this season. 

what is everyone’s expectations ? 

stay up? play offs? etc 

We currently have a pretty decent First 11 and a lowland league quality bench. I would say we are looking at a relegation battle as things stand but a few good signings could see us pushing for a top half finish. The off season has been so disappointing so far as i thought we were well placed to push on but instead we have seen 80% of the backroom staff leave and the squad now being substantially weaker than the one that ended last season.

1 hour ago, Arachnophile said:

even worse, they are forcing me to drink Tennent's Lager if I want a pint in Bar 1867 before the game
image.png.0a602b2d87c10b5a49323b6acca763bc.png

Steady now. Let’s not be disrespecting our national drink.