Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

I don’t remember ever wanting my team to lose any game. In fact I can safely say that’s never happened. I’m not saying I want us to lose in the first round of this cup competition either. However, with home teams keeping the gate money it would be quite a big loss financially for us to have any success in this cup. We would never get a home tie. It would be no surprise if we lost to Stirling University anyway. I will not lose any sleep if we do. It’ll be difficult tie after difficult tie with no financial benefit. 

12 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Are there that many non-seeded cup competitions with a set bracket after a single draw? Made worse if its true that top of the ties is always at home in a single game.

GBJFP2bWcAAlz7m.jpg.2b8ba09491b78afa23127e687c5a8b4c.jpg

Ultimately all knock-out cup competitions will conform to the layout above, whether or not a single draw is made or draws are made between rounds, i.e. there would always be one team who could have been at home in every round (had they kept winning), similarly one team could also have been away in every round (had they kept winning).

10 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Ultimately all knock-out cup competitions will conform to the layout above, whether or not a single draw is made or draws are made between rounds, i.e. there would always be one team who could have been at home in every round (had they kept winning), similarly one team could also have been away in every round (had they kept winning).

Yes, but how many have the prospect of 3 home games or 3 away games based on a single draw? The only ones I can think of where there's a fixed bracket is when seeding has been involved.

5 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Yes, but how many have the prospect of 3 home games or 3 away games based on a single draw? The only ones I can think of where there's a fixed bracket is when seeding has been involved.

Fair comment.  It's perhaps because of the compressed nature of the competition (16 teams) and the possibility/likelihood of postponements due to weather or other competitions that the league has gone down the route it has.

4 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

Wow, that is a sore one for Tranent, who could have made up some serious ground on EK. Strollers continue to produce impressive results.

I thought there might have been more at the game but they switched the k.o. time from 1.30 to 3.00 fairly late on. 

Anyway Strollers got to every ball and Tranent while having a lot of possession didn't make any chances. I was thinking "it only takes a Strollers goal here and they'll win" and they got the penalty (well taken by the mighty Mark Laird). There was an incredible miss near the end by a Belters player right in front of goal where he launched the ball in the direction of the Pans instead of in the back of the net. 

Gary Jardine continues to fly under the radar.. 

3 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I thought there might have been more at the game but they switched the k.o. time from 1.30 to 3.00 fairly late on. 

Anyway Strollers got to every ball and Tranent while having a lot of possession didn't make any chances. I was thinking "it only takes a Strollers goal here and they'll win" and they got the penalty (well taken by the mighty Mark Laird). There was an incredible miss near the end by a Belters player right in front of goal where he launched the ball in the direction of the Pans instead of in the back of the net. 

Gary Jardine continues to fly under the radar.. 

They made an arse of the start time themselves (see Tranent thread).  Start time was standard 3pm, made an application to change to 1.30pm but too late going by the LL rules, so had a hissy fit and to deflect the blame had a dig about B team voting, that was very likely aimed in Cowden’s direction  (me, paranoid? 🤣).

Can’t see 1.5 hours making much difference to the crowd, I was happier with a 3pm start time, much more civilised.

Strollers are not an attractive watch, but they do get results.